Official House M.D. Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Maximus_Prime, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I was shocked too. It's surprising, and somewhat random, imo. It looks as though we'll find out more about it in the next episode, and some past story lines will come back. This is one of my favorite TV shows, and so far the only one I've ever bought on DVD (only have season 1 so far). Kutner was a really good character, and Kal Penn is a really good actor, imo. It's too bad his character has been written out so suddenly, but oh well.

2. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

I'm still watching this episode, I'm shocked....i really don't know what to say, I just can't believe they got rid of Cutner in this way....I would have never guessed this in a million years. Part of me sadly is happy though that they didn't write off 13, that charater's been through too much already. I love the way they're handeling the coloring of the scenes and the lighting in this episode, really adds to the mood.

3. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

Wow. Crazy.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :cry :cry :cry 

I can't believe they killed the best of the new duckies. I loved Kutner. He was always fun to watch. He was a like a big innocent kid playing doctor at times. I loved in one of his first episodes he defibs a guy and shocks/KOs himself in the process. Or sets a patient on fire defibing her. Loved he peed on Houses chair and blamed the cat.

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    !!!!????!!!!

What the fuck? Kutner??

Fuck.

6. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    Why???? Awesome character, awesome actor = dead character

7. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

....ok seriusly, why Kutner.

why couldnt be anyone elseeeee

Why does this feel so....random.

8. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

They really have to continue this story, doesn't really seem like him at all and adding a depressed looking picture at the end doesn't fix that.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the show for the medical information more than anything; I've never found the main characters to be that interesting and the show is rather formulaic. Tonight's episode was pretty good though (not as good as the "locked-in" episode), but Kutner's departure was a little sudden. While it's believable that the other characters may not have seen it coming, it's a little odd that there wasn't any foreshadowing for the viewers to pick up on (at least none that I noticed). I forget now; how did Kutner react during the episode where he and Taub had the discussion about suicide? The episode where the patient was attempting to kill himself due to chronic pain/epilepsy, IIRC. I'm almost wondering whether there was some dispute with Kal Penn, given how abruptly his character was killed off and that it was done in a way which didn't require Penn to participate in the episode (not even playing the "body").

Don't forget that, sometime in the last five minutes of the episode, they'll spend 1 - 2 minutes showing the characters doing something introspective/philosophical/meaningful while some sort of depressing/downer song plays.

10. fuzzy_ninja

fuzzy_ninja little tin goddess

Kutner. D:

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I actually think the reactions I see here are exactly the right emotions the writers wanted. "It doesn't make any sense," "I didn't see it coming," and "It's so random" are EXACTLY the same thing people say when someone close to them commits suicide. Fiction usually makes it overly dramatic with a videotape or suicide note, but real life is messy.

According to this site, there was no falling-out or contract dispute: 'House' exclusive: The shocking story behind last night's big death | House | Ausiello Files | EW.com

The summary is: Kal Penn wants to go into politics and asked to be written out of the show.

12. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Considering last week's episode had promo-ed this week's ep to be the one that makes you take notice, etc...

It was a big let down for a LOT of hype.

Killing Kutner was ridiculous. They could've written him out a million different ways, but no, they decided to remove him by suicide.

It was just out of left field and unexpected (which is what happens in real life, so I'll give 'em credit for that one.)

I'm glad they included the hotline at the end, but I think they could've focused a bit more on the impact his suicide has on the folks. (I know they'll delve into it more next week, but a little more this week wouldn't have hurt either.)

I do think it was absolutely tasteless and tactless for Fox to put a memorial on their website for a dead character. (And apparently I wasn't the only one either.) I dunno, it feels like it was a way to cash in for ratings, and the inclusion of the suicide hotline was thrown in at the last moment.

I realize they most likely meant no offense by their actions, but the site's a bit tacky and tasteless.

Instead, they could've had a page that said something to the effect of... "Tonight's episode of House shows the audience that Suicide happens in all walks of life and most times without warning. If you or someone you know has problems with suicidal tendencies, there's help and hope. Please call this toll free number for assistance 24/7. Feel free to use this special website to seek help and have someone to speak to."

But no. It's a promotional site, basically.

13. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Um....the whole idea of Fox's promotion is to get TV ratings and attention. Letdown? Hardly. What they did worked, from the emotional reactions everywhere. As for complaining about House being tacky? What episode of the show isn't in some way?

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

15. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i assume it will turn out to be murder in the end and house to be right, seems to be one of 2 possible people

16. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

No, not the episode. The "memorial" website is tacky.

17. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Riding into the clouds on a cheeta

I wish I hadn't missed this episode. It's too bad that they killed his character off, but wonder if they will just replace him or stick with the team the way it is

18. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I read that the cast for next season is what it is now, without Kal Penn.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ironic thing is twice in the episode the made reference to that same thing. "Putting on sunglasses to the strains of a Who song.." or something like that.

20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    No not to the great White Castle in the Sky but over to the White house.