Official G.I. Joe Live Action Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DESTRO, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You expected sanity from the internet? Ha, that's a good one!

...no wait, you were serious? You poor, poor man. Everyone knows that you leave common sense and reason behind the moment you get online.

2. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Taking issue with what I said. Ok I guess I should explain. I was not around in the 60s I did not see the 12in joes on the shelves. I did see the 1980s joes in stores. I guess I should not have stated it that way but that is when they came out to my generation. I just wanted to express my opinion not go through this crap. Dang guys

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Ok, I'll try and make this clear: I'm not having a go at you for not being around in the '60s. I'm just pointing out the silliness of screaming "IT WAS NO G.I.JOE!!!" GI Joe is whatever Hasbro chooses to throw out with that label. You can like it or not, but weeping and wailing that it's somehow not GI Joe is... silly. If you don't like it, fine. But remember there can be other people who think what you like isn't GI Joe.

Besides, Action Force was better. :tongue: 

4. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Finally common ground. I agree action force was better. Although at the time the comics were harder to find. As a result I missed some issues :( 

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why has so much of this thread been taken up with discussing Shortpacked? For that matter why would anyone ever discuss Shortpacked?

Both of the above questions where rhetorical and I do not need them answered.

6. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Really? I'll be damned.

7. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Just came back from seeing it. Dodgy CGI aside, it was a decent enough film. The Baroness story sucked bigtime, and she should have stayed badass throughout though. Really liked Destro and Cobra Commander, Eccleston and Gordon-Levitt definitely stood out. I thought the changes to CC would bother me, but in the end I really liked them (even the voice). "And you can call me Commander" was my fave line in the film.

Nice cliffhanger ending too. Be interesting to see what a sequel will bring.

8. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

I highly enjoyed the movie though some things bugged me. i know Scarlett couldnt go after Duke because of the Baroness story line. when i first saw the Joe team relaxing, i thought oh sweet Snake-eyes got Scarlett in this one. sadly no, it seems she has some hots for Ripcord. oh and some dick down the back that snorted his snot up and coughed alot instead of blowing his nose.

overall i did highly enjoy watching the movie, and i am glad i saw it too. i left the cinima feeling pumped and excited.

9. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want my $12.50 back Famous Players and Paramount.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Wasn't as bad as I thought I'd be. Didn't like that they killed Cover Girl or what they did to the Baroness or CC, but I liked the actor who played him as well as Destro. Scarlett was great but she should have been with Snake Eyes not Ripcord. And they need a much better explantion as to why SE doesn't talk, he's supposed to be disfigued, not just taking a vow of silence, grr! Overall after reading that horible novelization I was expecting an "F" but the movie ended up being a "C" which turned out nice. Definately room for improvement, but overall had nice action/gagetry that felt like Joe should. Found myself grinning ear to ear at a few points - Scarlett's entrance, Jinx's cameo (or was that Helix?), the U.S.S. Flag. Still don't want it for my DVD collection, but if the sequels improve the characterization and cannon some I might end up getting the trilogy box set when its all said and done.

11. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

-Sigh- at people who think it was sooooo bad.

GI Joe was one of my favourite shows growing up and I love the comics so I was so excited for a movie to finally be made.

I went into the movie 'forgetting' everything I knew about GI Joe and that made the movie way better. If you go in and expect it to be exactly the cartoon/comic, you'll be pissing and moaning when you walk out. If you go in there and just take it for what it is and not expect it to be the same, you'll enjoy it more.

Some CGI moments were questionable. In this day and age, a polar bear in a movie shouldn't look like the ones in the Coke commercials.

Sienna Miller is the luckiest woman alive playing the Baroness.

Storm Shadow had me wetting my seat. Damn. Just daaaaaaaaamn.

Cobra Commander was actually a lot better done than I would have thought. He was great until he put on his fail mask. That plastic looking piece of shit better be improved in the next movie.

Snake Eyes was naturally awesome and the fights between him and SS had my heart racing.

Destro wasn't bad but he looked weird at the end with his signature silver head. It just looked bigger than the rest of him.

Everyone else was great in the movie, minus some very minor crappy acting my Channing Tatum, and Cover Girl got owned too easily.

If you go to this movie with an open mind, you'll enjoy it. If you go there as one of those annoying fuckbags who cries when things aren't canon, you'll be disappointed.

12. kidnicky

I agree with everything you said,except I didn't mind the masks and Storm Shadow didn't get me wet. :D 

I thought this was the perfect fun action movie. I really can't see any reason to dislike it unless you're a whiny neckbeard. People calling the waahmbulance over Scarlett not being with Snake Eyes are extra-special,since MANY MANY MANY more people would expect her to be with Duke (the cartoon was seen by infinitely more people than read the comic),and I don't hear them fucking sobbing about their ruined childhood or whatever other dross people are spewing out of their cheeto-stained talkhole.

13. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    An open mind or an empty mind?

And watch your tongue young lady, indirectly calling people that didn't like the movie "fuckbags" could be considered flaming.

14. kidnicky

I wouldn't say people who watch a 2009 live action movie without keeping a scorecard of how faithful it is to a 1984 cartoon show have an "empty mind."

15. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Meh. That's all I have to say about it. It wasn't terrible, but not really good either. I'm usually a fan of mindless action flicks, but both this and TF2 left me feeling underwhelmed.

16. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I watched it last night and I enjoyed it. I was curious about Lee Byung-hun since he's very popular Korean actor and Storm Shadow wasn't that bad.

I liked the fact they didn't stick in any lameo French jokes in. If this was Bay's film, he would have made some stupid sterotype.

17. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

I'm almost 26 years old. Please address me like an adult, thank you. Reserve the 'young lady' lecturing to your kids or future kids, if you don't have any yet. Thanks.

I didn't 'indirectly' call people fuckbags who didn't like the movie. Read the post again. I was talking about THE PEOPLE WHO EXPECT THE MOVIE TO BE CANON AND WHINE WHEN IT ISN'T. Everyone knows Hollywood doesn't stick to stories properly. It shouldn't be a surprise when the movie is nothing like the cartoon/comics. It actually surprises me that people go into a movie about a cartoon/video game/comic, and think it will be 100% the same. Just take the horrible Resident Evil movies, for example.

Where the hell do you people get the 'empty mind' garbage from? There is closed minded and open minded. If you go in with an open mind and expect that this movie wont be accurate, according to the show or comics, you wont be so angry when you walk out. If you walk in and expect it to be exactly like the cartoon or comic and don't accept that it is someone else's vision of things, you'll come out upset. Pretty simple.

Every single person I know that went in without high expectations came out enjoying the movie. The ones who went in expecting it to be like the cartoon or the comics came out disappointed and complained at how so and so didn't happen and how the backstories were incorrect, blah blah blah. If people don't know by now that Hollywood tends to rape the things we love, I don't even know what to say. It's almost a given that once something popular like a show or a video game gets made into a movie, it will most likely disappoint a lot of people.

18. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You came into this thread acting all hostile calling people fuckbags and showing disregard for people that any sort of expectation that a movie called GI Joe might have anything more then a passing resemblance to... GI Joe. So stop acting like the victim. If you don't like people pushing back at you then don't present you thoughts with so much anger and hatred for other like an adult.

19. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I felt that I went in with an open mind and I know that I was not looking for 1984 G.I. Joe the live action movie, but this seemed a little too ridiculous for me to approve of. G.I. joe was winning too much. The villains were not threatening. It felt like a Disney little kids movie, instead of a big budget older kid and adult movie.

20. kidnicky

I got it from Buzzard,and I was taking issue with him using it against fans of this movie. In other words,I was agreeing with you. Thanks for the rage,though. :( 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.