Official Discussion Thread for the 20th Anniversary Movie DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Joe Moore, Nov 7, 2006.

1. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

Technically, the widescreen on the DVD is a true anamorphic widescreen version. It is the theatrical framing and aspect, and is an anamorphic DVD (meaning it's horizontally squeezed when encoded instead of wasting lines on black letterboxing bars). And that widescreen image is a crop of the full animated film. The fullscreen is an open matte of the original film, and is thus usually more of the picture, and less tight framing. The Reconstructed simply opened the matting up even further than any previous version, further than was ever really intended. So yeah, there's going to be more on the Reconstructed, but its no more a true version than any other. I guess you're complaining that they didn't open it up as far as the Reconstructed, but I don't believe that was their intention. They gave us a brilliantly restored and remastered theatrical aspect print, as well as its full-screen home-video open matte brother; both are all the movie that was ever meant to be seen.

2. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good post! You explained what I was trying to say. Ill' shut up now.

3. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I don't what this Easter Egg thing is on the DVD and i'm sure many of you posted this already... but for those of you who have the DVD may wanna check this out

Can anyone explain what these Easter Eggs are supposed to do?

4. Outtsyder

Outtsyder Well-Known Member

For those of you still looking for the "Magnus Easter Egg", I posted how to find it in the "DVD Easter Eggs" Forum. But if it's okay with the TFW2005 Staff, I'll post a copy of the instructions in this thread as well.

First of all, I don't know if this is only with my computer, but I don't think it can be found using your DVD-ROM; only on "normal" DVD players (and PS2s, which I have).

Watch the movie using the Matrix Of Knowledge feature from the Bonus Features menu, until you get to the scene on the Planet Of Junk where Galvatron orders the Sweeps to terminate Ultra Magnus (you can simply skip ahead to this chapter). A little box will pop up, reading, "Ultra Magnus was originally bound with energy beams and quartered." When this little box pops up, hit Enter (or Select). This will play an "animated storyboard scene" (or an animatic, if you prefer) using the storyboard art set to the sound of the movie, so you can imagine what that scene really would have looked like (also taking into account Ultra Magnus' screams while Galvatron is growling, "Die! DIE!!!").

Hope it works!

Outtsyder

5. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thank you very much
    I put allot of work into this DVD and am glad you all enjoyed it

For the record Hot Rod was animated "pink-ish" he's that colour in all the test footage I own and that colour in cels I have

No comments about my storyboard video's???
    They took me weeks!
    :eek: 

Paul Hitch

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is THE BEST version of TFTM I've seen on ANY media! I loved the Matrix of Knowledge feature but I did see one error: the "missing Dinobot" was seen more than once. There also could have been more comments for my taste. Paul, I can't thank you enough for your contributions. It's going to take me awhile to cover all the bonus features and easter eggs.

7. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dam it.
    I just checked and Play.com have the UK release as the 26th March 2007.
    Looks like I'm going to have to order a US copy :p 

But I did find cover art of the UK release of Victory

8. TheSpacebridge

News Credits:
    This isn't the Sony version but another release by Metrodome

It is unknown if they will be using any of the material from the Sony release

Metrodome have not approached me to contribute

Paul

9. xler8

xler8 WST

Nice screencaps. Thanks for all the work.

--------

10. HollyW00d

HollyW00d Collecting Freak

The widescreen versions colors are way off, what the hell happened? Almost all of the reds are pink and the contrast is set way too high. I had to stop it at the end of the "dare" scene and switch back to the full screen disc to make sure there wasn't something wrong with that one as well. I thought it was supposed to be cleaned up and remastered? It looks like someone just messed with the levels in premiere and then stamped it onto the DVD.

This was a sloppy job, I'll watch the extras but if I want to watch the movie I'll stick with my Japanese box set version, or the Rhino release.

11. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

:lol 

You did a good job on those to lad, you should be very proud :thumb 

Correct me if I'm wrong though, but watching those animated storyboards it felt like I saw that at your movie panel at last year's BotCon. If it wasn't exactly the same it was very similar

12. TheSpacebridge

News Credits:
    Yeah they were based on the ones I did for Botcon
    The ones on the DVD have beter timing and are in a much higher resolution than the ones shown at Botcon

I am working on an all new storyboard video for the exclusive DVD online content

Cheers

Paul

13. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

BTW Paul, from what I did listen to you guy did good on the movie commentary.

I didn't listen to the full thing as I really wasn't in the mood to watch the movie. But what I did listen to was well done.

Guess giving your panel at CyberCon and at last year's BotCon was good practice. Although obviously you weren't talking in front of a large crowd.

Did you guys have to do any do overs when giving commentary? Or was it hyst stright forward?

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Screw Metrodome; I still remember them using artwork from various artists on their G1 season one boxset, and never telling them.

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Great ultimate edition DVD! I got my movie copy from Circuit City, no fancy cover, but I don't care. I've watched everything so far except the trivia pop-up and the Easter Eggs. Oddly, that one Easter Egg spot of Magnus's destruction, anytime I was watching a commentary the Spanish subtitles would pop up right there. Must be some small glitch. Anyone else experience this too? Oh, and excellent job to the fans who did the commentary track, very informative and no big pauses.

16. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    I can't get the Autobot City Trivia Game to work on my DVD-Rom using WMP or PowerDVD...anyone else having this problem?

-NEVERMIND I FIGURED IT OUT!

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I watched it last night but haven't had a chance to get to the commentary or extras (which I'm really looking forward to!)

I definitely noticed the color differences (red really did look more pink unfortunately) and some subtle things in the background I never noticed in my original release (like Unicron growling several times while watching surveiliance of Prime passing the matrix to Magnus). It was my first time Hearing Spike say "Oh Shit" since I don't remember that from the theater and of course my original VHS copy was edited, so that was a novelty :lol 

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it was already said that the reason hot rod looks pink is because he was animated that way.

19. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Got it last night and due to lack of ability to sleep I checked out some stuff. The special feature I've watched so far have been really cool and it was interesting listening to the fan commentary, learned a couple new things I didn't know already, like for example that you can see Sideswipe's body to the edge of the screen during the scene where they move the missile launcher in Autobot City. Never noticed that before, thanks for pointing it out guys:thumb .

20. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got the DVD yesterday & I have to say that as happy as I am to finally have it in Widescreen format, the video quality just isn't there.

I was watching it last night through my HD projector on a 175" screen & noticed lot's of parts had tons of compression artifacts. Watching Unicron munching on Lithone at the beginning for example, some parts looked like a bad DVD rip someone would have downloaded online.

Lots of scenes with whites looked grainy as well. (Like the white levels on the new original SW Letterboxed DVDs compared to their Special Edition remastered counterparts). I didn't notice this on the Rhino version, or at least it wasn't as pronounced.

Another thing I noticed were the opening credits. The color seemed to bleed off the letters which wasn't an issue on the Rhino version.

The sound quality was fantastic though. Good balance on the surround sound track. :thumb 

Extras were pretty cool. Wish they would have included the "Rock & Roll Adventure" trailer that was on the Japanese laserdisc though.

I'd give it a 6.5/10, maybe 7.

The only two things I prefered on this one compared to the Rhino release were: 1. It's Widescreen, 2. The Junkion scene was better quality.

Good start, but could be allot better quality-wise.