Odds and Ends of the Movie Line

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Quantum_Penguin, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Well-Known Member

Although the movie line has been extensive and has several months left to wind down, we know pretty much what to expect for the final waves. Unless security at the factories suddenly got really tight, that means no surprises are left, so no Leader Blackout or Starscream or Voyager Bonecrusher. At least this time around...
    This thread is about your hoped for repaints, remolds, and pipedreams for what Hasbro might have released in this period, and, obviously, what you hope they will include in the line for TF2. I'd appreciate it if you could provide a short argument for why you think it would be good business sense for Hasbro to release it, especially if it seems like an obvious shoo-in to pad out the line.

A few examples to start:
    -Blackout and Bonecrusher in larger size classes
    I can understand Bones not getting a larger figure but Blackout was the first TF we saw in the film, his many depicted abilities in the movie would make for great play value, and Lennox's fight against him was a pretty prominent part of the Mission City battle.
    Let's see: You've got the EMP wave effect as an electronic feature, geared rotors which can deploy as blades for melee, Scorponok, the chest cannon, the holographic driver, and just the sheer size of the actual vehicle. Including a geared gimmick for Scorponok similar to the Voyage might encourage cross sells with the Movie Screen Battles Desert Attack, as that gives you a Scorpy and little figures of Lennox and Epps to reenact the city battle.

Although less prominent in the film than Starscream or Blackout, Bones body checking that bus was all over the trailers and remains on of the most iconic images from the film. And he was the first foe that Prime fought with his sword, so a voyager would have complimented Premium Leader Prime's new sword.

-Legends Arcee
    It would have been a nice compliment to the deluxe figure to have a version of her closer to scale with the deluxe cars, as the energon repaints of her are all exclusives and still a little huge. And I think she deserves it because of her almost-in-the-movie status.

-Repaint of Wreckage as Stryker
    Not only did he almost make it into the film like Arcee, this is a solid mold on its own and it's amazing to me that an iffy mold from later in the line like Dreadwing gets a repaint when Wreckage came out in the first wave.

-Repaint/"Remold" (?) of Protoform Starscream
    My wanting this one is a little more petty than the above, but I preferred the head they showed on the back of his card to the head he ended up with in the movie. The mold obviously already exists as they had to have a production sample from which to take the picture and it resembles the later remold they did for Thundercracker and G1-colored Starscream. It would be a simple matter of switching to the older sprue mold, repainting it into "Protoform Thundercracker" and perhaps packing it in with a repaint of Protoform Prime as Ironhide or one of the other Autobot protoforms.

2. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

I'll also throw in a vote for Voyager-class Bonecrusher (still my favourite movie TF) and Leader-class Starscream, both for scale reasons. I don't mind when the scale doesn't work in the other lines, but there is something to be said of the "realism" factor behind the movie. You want a display that encapsules the movie (this was a big deal for the franchise, in case you haven't noticed), and it's hard to do that when Jazz is taller than Bonecrusher and Starscream doesn't even measure up to Optimus or Brawl. But I am 99% convinced that Hasbro was saving a Leader-class Starscream for the sequel's toyline, since I'm sure SS will be a bigger player (I hope, anyway).

I'll also vote for a new scout-class mold for the movie Arcee, again, for scale purposes. I think a Legends size like you said would actually be TOO small. If you take the Energon Arcee in bike mode, she is to scale with the movie figures perfectly - a legends figure would be too small and would lack the detail to make it a worthy figure to stand with the mainline bots. Also, from what I've seen of Animated Prowl so far, it seems Hasbro has managed to figure out ways around the challenges of designing bike-bots, so maybe a great "movie-accurate" (fingers crossed she makes an appearance in #2) Arcee would be do-able even in scout-size.

3. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    What with the extreme laughs and claps in the theater and longing by seemingly everyone on the boards, where is our toy figure of the Mountain Dew-bot, AKA Dispensor?
    Come on, you know you'd buy two of them. The fig has a dedicated arm cannon that really shoots, (like the Bionicle arm cannon, so similar to replicate) and has electronics that scream "do the dew" and a can opening sound when the cannon shoots off a round.

Why should Hasbro make it? Well obviously Mountain Dew would use them as promotional tools, so it's got cross marketing sales that would not normally be included in the normal sales demographics (Pepsi Prime anyone?). It is the embodiment of the Allspark Power line, come on...every other vehicle in the movie that didn't actually transform gets a TF toy, and the one item fully rendered in both bot and alt mode gets hosed? talk about bait n switch!

4. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Voyage bonecrusher for '08!

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Voyager Skywarp sure would have been nice.

6. Lazeric

Lazeric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    More love for Frenzy. When it comes down to it, the guy didn't even get a main-line toy. He was sprinkled all over the sub-lines (FAB, Robot Heroes, Replicas) but his only main-line presence was a pack in with Barricade, either the unfolding one or the screen battles figurine. I think a "Real Gear" leader sized Frenzy that was about 1:1 with an actual boombox and unfolded into a spindly 3-foot tall robot would have been swell. He's also the only one missing from the Legends size (despite my best effeorts...)

- L -

7. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leader Class:

- Blackout
    - Bonecrusher
    - Shockwave (PSP game) (Brawl remold)
    - Starscream

Voyager Class:

- Hound (PSP game) (Ratchet remold)
    - Mixmaster (game)
    - Shockwave (game)
    - Skydive (DS game)

Deluxe Class:

- Dispensor
    - Frenzy
    - Hoist (PSP game) (Longarm remold)
    - Ratchet (unused concept art)
    - Scrapper (game)
    - Sideswipe (PSP game)
    - Stryker (unused concept art)
    - Thundercracker (PSP game) (Dreadwing remold)
    - Trailbreaker (PSP game)
    - Wheeljack (PSP game)

8. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    A leader scale Frenzy would be pretty neat, since they could give him some crazy cybertronian babbling SFX.

or a real gear phone that turns into Frenzy's head.

9. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I hate Hasbro for only making 2 out of the 3 seekers every time. They should have painted Starscream properly the first time so there'd be no need for the premium edition & make Skywarp instead.

not cool man, not cool at all - TFW2005 Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Never know, they might introduce him as an exclusive or as a toy for TF2

11. ClydeMcAllister

ClydeMcAllister Hi. I'm great.

Well that's incredibly violent. :crazy: 

Like most have said, a larger Bonecrusher would be nice. Though what I'd really like to see is Shockwave in his video game form.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  12. RHansen

RHansen Veteran

News Credits:
    punt to TTD!

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

hmm i wouldn't mind seeing some repaints i guess.

but i don't think we need any more leader class ones, they're a pain to transform for one, especially brawl...

though i would not mind 1 more leader class autobot... though.

unless of course we can get a leader class shockwave? but that will never happen.

but i can see landmine being repainted as hound, bumblebee being repainted as sidesipe maybe? but this late, far from the next movie, i don't see any new molds coming, really, i see them just making repaints, like they have been doing, i could see skywarp, though, would be nice, and maybe dreadwing repainted as thrust/dirge/ramjet at least one of the three wouldn't be bad.

maybe payload repainted as trailbreaker, i could see that, just maybe with a new head.

maybe voyager repainted as a different character, and given a new head, like huffer or something. just as long as it's not scourge...

but, i really don't see hasbro having any reason to make whole new molds at this point. just repaints. *for the next 2 years over and over again* lol probably in universe 2, packaging too... maybe bonecrusher would look nice with tanker?

14. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I don't get why Hasbro let the line trail off like it has... only 2 reasons come to mind:

1) Fear of later figures becoming shelf-warmers. But none of the waves really became shelf-warmers... I can't even find Swindle anymore. So sales data would point to the whole thing as a gold mine, no?

2) Fear of clobbering the intro of Animated toys. I think they still had (have) time before the Animated toys really make it to shelves in large numbers. Plus the fact that (and this is highly arguable) Animated might skew younger in target audience while the movie line skews a little older.

I'd have loved some more Leader sized figs of almost anyone. Maybe even an Ultra (Ultimate BB doesn't count).

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    -Supreme Blackout (Leader size class might be nice, but still not big enough for the biggest chatracter in the movie)

-Voyager Bonecrusher

-Voyager Skywarp repaint of Thundercracker

-Leader Shockwave (from video game)

That's about all I can think of that I'd really want.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Considering the movie line was originally intended to be supplanted by Animated by now, I think the "trail off" has been moderately graceful, better than the extended run of Armada at least (IMO).