Oddities: Weird, Scary and Eerie Stories in Collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 8bitboy, Dec 25, 2019.

1. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

I couldn't come up with a better title than this. I really don't know how to describe what's been happening to me every year since I started collecting. I like to call this oddity the "Bumblebee Curse".

Basically, I have purchased at least one Bumblebee every year since I started collecting. He isn't my favourite character by any longshot but somehow I can't seem to stop buying him each year. The purchases are almost never planned, and he just keeps happening one way or another!

In 2013, my first year, I was doing "catch up" to figure out the figures that I wanted. As the movie was my main influence getting back into Transformers, I bought DOTM Deluxe Bumblebee to partner up with my DOTM Voyager Optimus. I bought two more Bumblebees (HFTD Battle Blade and T30 Deluxe Bumblebee) in an attempt to get the best movie Deluxe version of him at the time, then a more IDW inspired version of him (That T30 Deluxe mold never grew on me).

In 2014, my desire to return to G1 was at full strength. I no longer wanted to primarily meddle in the Bayverse toys any longer. So I picked up Toyworld TW-03 Bii because of his accuracy to G1 Bumblebee. He was hundreds of times better than the previous Bees I bought and was my main Bee for about a year.

In 2015, after reading user reviews and finding out that MP21 had a special edition mask that helped him resemble the G1 toy, I caved and picked him up mainly out of curiousity and a small hope he'd surpass TW-03 in my eyes. Long story short, he didn't. I kept him anyway.

In 2016, I got the AOE Evolutions Legends Bumblebee (slight repaint of T30 Legends Bumblebee mold) for my new 84 Ark crew project. The reason was that TW-03 Bii was the wrong scale with the legends at that time. AOE Evolutions Legends Bee was my main Bee for another year.

In 2017, it was only natural to replace AOE Evolution Legends Bee with Titans Returns Legends Bumblebee as he was a more superior figure in articulation and slight scaling alone. Plus that line was so sick! Great follow up to Combiner Wars in my opinion. This was also the year I was fully cognizant of this strange, scary pattern during my journal recording of my collection that year...

In 2018, after leaving my home of Antigua and Barbuda to study in China, I left my collection. I started a new collection and whilst collecting, I found it natural to buy another Titans Return Bumblebee. He's my main Bumblebee at the moment.

Finally, 2019, I almost went the entire year without a Bumblebee purchase and thought that I was free of him until i found myself buying a T30 Legends Bumblebee (today) just so that I could partner my Titans Returns Bumblebee with Blaze Master. If you remember, he never came packaged with a weapon and because of the Battle Master/Targetmaster influence of Siege, I thought it would be cool to give him a partner. I didn't buy that set for T30 Bumblebee, but the point is, he's in my collection again.

Do you see? Am I going mad? Am I secretly a bigger fan of Bumblebee than I realize? That alone somewhat terrifies me as I consider myself a bigger Optimus Prime fan.

It will happen again in 2020 too! Calling it now. Cliffjumper I'm not too interested in but you know that Bumblebee will follow in Wave 2 or 3. He better be uncool because if I buy him next year, the curse is real AAAAAHHHHHHH!

I hope I'm not alone in this. Maybe you guys have strange tales to tell about your collecting adventures.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

This is not an uncommon complaint. You're mad. Stark raving Looney!!
    Just kidding.

It sounds like you have been bitten by the collecting (Gold)bug or OCB. It can give you quite the buzz which is what makes it so compelling.

You have been subconsciously coerced by a Swarm of Bumblebees. This should continue until you reach your 127th Bee.

On a serious note, I've been cursed by the number 135.
    I bought a Unique Toys Hun-gurrr a few years ago on EBay for €135 and it never arrived in the post.

I bought a second one a year or so later, again for €135, which did arrive but I dropped one day and the ball joint on his right hip snapped :( 

Finally, I sold off a lot of my collection a few years ago, in stages, at a friend's shop. One trade in yielded the princely sum of €135. I had a date later that evening. The worst date of my life. She had used old photos online of herself and she had changed drastically since taking them.
    Still, not a problem and we did seem to get on quite well as the meal progressed though she did have an obvious chip on her shoulder.
    I don't drink but I had no problem with her getting a few glasses of wine as the meal progressed.
    But at one stage, I unintentionally offended her and she stood up and walked out. I thought I'd feel embarrassed but I was actually relieved.
    I went to pay the bill and as I said, I don't drink so wasn't aware how expensive the wine she'd been ordering was. When I looked at the bill, I was shocked to see it came to €135, the exact figure I'd gotten for the Transformers earlier.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  3. 8bitboy

That's nuts! Especially the bit where you still lost the €135 over the date! I read the date waiting for the "punch line". I knew somehow that Transformer would be involved haha!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Well it wasn't a loss, just a cancellation after making the €135 so I was no worse off than I had been.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Whenever I see news of another new toy for an 84 character I wish we got a new toy for a post 86 character instead. It's downright scary.

• Like Like x 5
  6. 8bitboy

Let me get this straight. Every time they reveal a new toy from G1, you were initially expecting a post 86 figure instead?

7. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    But post-86 is still G1 …

• Like Like x 1
  8. 8bitboy

Whoops! Meant G1 84!! Heheh... My bad :D 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    The weirdest was back when i was at my most publicly insane as a collector...buying lots of prototypes and lucky draws and posting all about them...then I ran into a guy at a convention pretending to be ME! He struck up a conversation when we were both looking at the same booth and said i might have seen his collection on TFW (back when we had the collection showcases)...it was under his screen name Dragonclaw. I was shaken for quite a while...weirdest case of identity theft ever.

• Like Like x 2
  10. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

I have the uncanny ability to misplace a figure, hunt fervently for it, finally decide it's gone, order a replacement...

... and then find the figure in some stupid or obvious place that I am sure I would have checked.

It's the remote control rule of the universe, wherein only after purchasing a new remote and opening it, making it non-refundable, will the universe allow the original remote to reveal itself.

11. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

The gong show that was the online shmozzle to acquire Hasbro MP Starscream. Although I'm in Canada and lucked out, that whole circus surrounding his release sticks in my mind as just weird.

12. Drohitan

Drohitan Rogue Decepticon

I've only recently realised that within my TF collection that I have an Optimus Prime sub-collection. It started with MP04 as a gift from Wifey, at that time my crew consisted of only him and tF 07 Bee and Stockade. I figured that would be it, and blown exhaust port was I wrong.

MP04 kept me so entertained that even as more TF07 bots entered the crew, I had no desire for a new optimus, until the legendary RotF Leader Optimus came along. And, like MP04, he kept me so very entertained that even though i picked up the FE AoE leader (knowing I would sorely be disappointed, but it was for a custom anyway) he was still my go to Prime until recently Evasion Optimus and MP10v joined the crew.

Noteable mention to Rid15 Prime who earned a ticket home so my daughter could scan him into that appstore game.

That's seven Primes. Roughly a third of my entire collection.

13. LongarmMagnus

LongarmMagnus The artist formerly known as Longarm Agnus

I had an extra Fire Convoy and gave it to a friend. A month later it was one of the few items that was undamaged when his house burned down. I gave it to him because he was a fire chief... no joke

14. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

There never seems to be a bee wherever I am. Not really as fabulous and horrible as the rest, but a bit odd.