Ocular Max Unlimited U-01 Stellarus Prominon (Star Convoy)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by godotislate, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a distinct lack of flair to the whole affair, balance requires work, the alt mode is lacking and the deco minimal.

That being said, there's no denying the lad is a big, chunky piece of fun with real presence on the shelf. Once you get to grips with distributing his weight (and fixing the legs), posing is fun and he's got a decent but not stellar (ha!) range of motion. Got mine for £95 and at that price, the complaints I have, though reasonable, aren't particularly crushing. I do like the toy, but it could've been much more.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    The consensus, which I agree with, seems to be that it’s not up to the standard of normal MMC offerings, but it is still fun. My legs collapsed out of the box but I just extended them and let him lie flat on his back for a couple of days and now they hold well enough. This would’ve benefited from some more TLC though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

It's a fun toy, and massive.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    Yeah, considering what you get for the price, like I get when people say it’s not as good as MMCs other stuff but objectively what you’re getting for the dollar amount is definitely worth it. And it’s fun and easy to transform

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought mine secondhand from a board member, with the knees replaced. He holds up very well. Looks great on the shelf and is poseable enough to look very good overall. I'd recommend him if you need a good, solid Star Convoy.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I keep thinking I want this guy because he's so big and dynamic looking. But then I think of how simplistic he is, and then look at the $130+ price tag... And pass on it again. I'm really waiting for a kickass sale or someone letting one go for cheap so I too can be whelmed and underwhelmed and end up suffering Schrodinger's Enjoyment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

This price is rock bottom for MMC stuff. I doubt he is doing that bad. Sold out at most of my haunts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Treadshot 2.0

News Credits:
    What’s the issue with the price tag? you know that figure is fucking HUGE, right?

9. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Huge can't be the only selling point for a $130 toy when for $30 more you can get a Titan Class fig (at retail before online inflation I mean :D  ).

I also get what he means about being a bit simplistic. I'm not saying he needs to be greebled-out or anything bur at that size, there's way too many open areas/spaces to be that slavish to the toon design (which this fig does extrememely well). There was room to ad-lib some detail in there a bit. The matte finish doesn't help either.

On the other hand, speaking of the paint job, if it was hit with a light clear gloss sheen I think it would really make him pop. At that size, having both a matte finish and abstract flat surfaces with little to no detail is hard to pull off. When I'm in my I totally want to buy this mood, I think about doing exactly that, spraying a gloss clear coat on it but as I don't own it, I'm not sure if the plastic and paint would react well to it. Anyone want to chime in? Because if I can do a clear coat, I'd totally buy it, alt-mode eh or not.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Huge and basic, yeah. The alt mode is pretty dumpy and he doesn't come with a ton of stuff. I love the design, but $130 can get you some much more impressive stuff. Not a slight against the figure at all, I'll end up with a copy eventually.

• Like Like x 2
  11. FD3S

FD3S 3rd Generation RX-7

I still love mine. While it's undeniable that Stellarus is fairly basic/simplistic for its size and there's not a lot of paint on it, to me those are strengths instead of weaknesses; the simplicity means I can take it off the shelf and transform it on a relative whim and the colors relying on bare plastic means there's hardly anything that can be chipped or damaged, which in turn only encourages me to mess with it more. IMO this is far closer to being a traditional toy than most 3P efforts of this scale are and I totally get why that's not going to work for some folks, especially those that enjoy pieces with complex engineering that are meant more for display than constant handling. It's huge, it's simple, and it's really, really fun.

Now, that with all that said - I would not complain in the slightest if another company took a swing at Star Convoy and managed to nail the JG1 tiny cab space truck mode. Neither of the modern attempts really hit it seeing as how Stellarus is a chunky APC thing and Generation Selects is... well, G1 Prime.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Shamax

Shamax Well-Known Member

So I'm receiving this figure for Christmas, looking forward to it despite the mixed reactions. But I contacted BBTS to ask about the leg fix and they had no clue what I was talking about. I haven't heard back from MMC yet. Is there anywhere you can buy the replacement parts if MMC doesn't come through?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Darknova4life

Darknova4life Well-Known Member

Following ---I need it, too

14. Super Mecha Dad

Super Mecha Dad Your mechanical father.

Twitter:
    i got mine direct from mmc for like $5 shipping

• Like Like x 1
  15. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

I got mine at launch and didn't get the replacement pieces. Never did get them. I can say that once I got him into robot mode and let him stand for a couple days... it was no longer even sufficient of an issue to be worth commenting on. The other things people complain about are present and much more glaring. It takes minimal force or effort to make those legs collapse but on the other hand they're not compressing when I don't want them to either. So if that and nothing else are putting anybody off getting this... I wouldn't let it stop me.

As for me, I neither love him or hate him. He feels like much less than the G1 due to lack of gimmicks and features, and looks a bit plain on the shelf everywhere but his face. But he does have great articulation and is easy and fun to transform. Neither over nor underwhelmed with him. Just... whelmed.

16. Lockdown91

Lockdown91 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've almost pulled the trigger on this figure a few times but for me personally, he is too big.

With limited space, I wish he was around Siege Jetfire's height. Also wish he had a base mode, but the size most of all has kept me away. Wish it was more successful though as then maybe they'd do a Sky G/Carry and Grandus to go with him.

17. Shamax

Shamax Well-Known Member

Gotcha, im hoping just extending them for a few days does the trick for me too. Or maybe ill even be one of the lucky few who had no issues straight out of the box. Overall it sounds like more or less what I'm looking for. I have no real nostalgia for the original toy, I basically just think it's a kick-ass design for Optimus/Convoy and want a fun toy of it to mess with. I pose and transform my figures back and forth a lot so I tend to prefer easier, intuitive transformations.To me his look comes across more elegant than plain. It's mostly the iconic Optimus vibe with a big gold star and shoulder cannons is how I see it. I'm pretty excited to receive it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Super Mecha Dad

Super Mecha Dad Your mechanical father.

Twitter:
    I'm a big fan, he fits well on my "various primes" shelf, even though I think I've changed out a few of the others since I took this picture

(IIRC, right now it's MDLX, Optus Pexus, OP Leader, and Stellarus Prominon)

[​IMG]

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    The scale junky in me really appreciates this toy :3
    He looks so darn good

StarC.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  20. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What were the replacement pieces and what did they help fix? Are current copies already fixed. I'm thinking about getting this ant some point.