Ocular Max Unlimited U-01 Stellarus Prominon (Star Convoy)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by godotislate, Mar 16, 2019.

1. NATO-BOT

NATO-BOT Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Var nice...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Hopefully the hands are silver in the final colors.

3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    @LazyAza is this a Kubalsky design?

4. Angry Scientist

Angry Scientist Well-Known Member

What the crap does Ocular Max Unlimited mean? Isn’t Ocular Max their masterpiece studio ox line and Reformatted their “CHUG” line? What is left in between, regular masterpiece? CHUGsterpiece? I dunno what’s left honestly. Also that name Stellarus Prominon, that’s a name they have used in the Reformatted line for primes, so maybe it’s closer to that than Ocular Max? I’m confused and I hope there’s a second figure in the line announced soon so we can figure this out. Still it looks pretty good and the altmode whilst not accurate looks nice so I’ll probably pick up one.

5. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    What does Ocular Max Remix mean? It's just a sub brand for their tapes, right? Judging by the font used for "Unlimited" I'd guess that maybe Ocular Max Unlimited is for MP stuff from the Japan-only stuff like Zone or, in this case, the Battlestars/Return of Convoy line.

I wouldn't read so much into the name. When they did a CHUG IDW-ish Arcee in Reformatted years ago they named her Azalea, and when they did a G1 MP one in Ocular Max they named her Azalea, too. "Prominon" just seems to be MMC's word for "Prime." If they did a G1 Rodimus Prime in Ocular Max I'd expect MMC to call him "Calidus Prominon."

• Like Like x 1
  6. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    I don't know how much what line it's in and what that's supposed to mean really matters. Branding and marketing is the company's concern, not the consumer's. (Or at least, not mine.)
    Like the toy and can afford it? Buy it.
    Don't? Don't buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    So, the resemblance to Armada Op in alt mode is throwing me off:
    Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 9.29.05 PM.png

I think the size of the "cab" relative to the "trailer" is too large on this version; the whole small truck/enormous trailer/base is always part of what made the Star Convoy mold stand out to me:
    7632.jpg

Granted, this is in an [offshoot of] their Ocular Max label, so some degree of trying to adapt line art to three dimensions is to be expected, and turning the point where the 'cab' meets the 'trailer' into something that makes ANY sense at all is going to require some compromising and some dark sorcery, because it's such a mess on the original toy and design.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the original star convoy's proportions in vehicle mode (between the trailer and cab) are much more in line with MakeToys Thunder Manus

• Like Like x 4
  9. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    I have a very clear idea in my head of what I would like to see in a Cross Dimension Star Convoy, partially for this reason. I know this is not going for that, but....

10. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Armada Optimus was loosely based off of Star Convoy, if I recall correctly.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    It’s weird to think in the same year an official new armada prime and star convoy toy would come out. Then later then there’d be a 3P announcement for both.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Angry Scientist

Angry Scientist Well-Known Member

Oh that makes sense, honestly I was asking because I want a CHUG star convoy, instead of a masterpiece, but I forgot about the Azalea and the remix things. Still, it might work for CHUG though and I’m still curious about what the line has in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  13. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    The Rodimus Space Winnebago homage in this part really tied the room together in the original design:
    mmcconvoykvetching.png

• Like Like x 1
  14. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Yeah, I can see that. MMC's doesn't have that same trailer overhang, either.

That said, if sacrifices have to be made to the alt mode to make a good-looking bot mode I'd prefer that than making sacrifices to the bot mode for a better alt mode.

Also, after seeing that picture of G1 Star Convoy I'm really hoping MMC's comes with a baby Hot Rod.

• Like Like x 2
  15. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I'm both excited and very frustrated because none of it is coming out anytime soon.

• Like Like x 3
  16. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    I don't care much for the tiny cab or the huge overhang in the original design.

Though MMC's effort on the alt mode could stand to be a lot cleaner, especially for how relatively simple the transformation seems to be. Like, what's the big hump in the middle section there for? It leads me to believe there are some features that might be unrevealed.

(And why aren't all the wheels enclosed in fenders?)

But as said before, robot mode's really nice. I'll have to see it in color to decide.

• Like Like x 1
  17. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, it's not a DEALBREAKER (especially since this is going to look a lot more like SC in alt mode than the Takara one is likely to).
    MUST happen. Other than the bit about adapting the overhang, the other main drawback is that it doesn't scream I AM A BASE FOR TINY TRANSFORMERS as much as I'd like.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Looks pretty cool. Alt mode definitely needs some work, probably the head sculpt too, but I dig it and would love to own a modern Star Convoy figure.
    I thought it might have been originally intended as a Rolling Thunder Optimus, hence the alt mode, and that this was the non-G1 Ocular Max design Rick was working on that was shelved (my theory being that it was then retooled into Star Convoy after TFC's Rolling Thunder Optimus was announced). But since Rick said he wasn't involved, I guess my assumption there is wrong.
    Very curious to see what else ends up in this line though.
    They're completely different products. Supermax has a lot more parts (and a lot more moving parts), for starters. He's quite a bit more complicated so he costs a lot more. I really don't think MMC would do a crowdfund unless they thought it was necessary.

• Like Like x 2
  19. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Nah Byrin designed this guy no super clever engineering with this toy. Nicely articulated though so he'll be a fun robot to pose but like others have said I do hope he has something more going on with him other than just being a cool truck. Be a huge shame if he doesn't retain some of the original toys gimmicks.

• Like Like x 5
  20. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It says Unlimited in the slides and the model number for this figure appears to be U-01, so perhaps they are starting a new series/line of figures