Ocular Max PS - Destructor (Masterpiece Devastator)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Nyarlahotep, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Jahseykdhm

Jahseykdhm Well-Known Member

As someone who's yet to read through IDW, goddamn PROWL as a part of Devastator seems so absurd that I need him immediately.

2. yuthura

yuthura Well-Known Member

Will definitely be getting this guy because I'm confident the engineering will be amazing, but the more I look at the pictures, the more asthetic nitpicks I'm starting to notice.

Especially in this shot of Mixmaster; I would love for the cab to sit flat against the rest of the truck, and the back feels like it sticks out a little too far from the rear wheels.

Putting trust in that eventual color prototypes (and actual product in hand) will look much better and can't wait to see more though!

Attached Files:

3. Zebulon

Zebulon Well-Known Member

Prowlestator was one of the more interesting things IDW did. Both with the initial idea, how it came about, and how it went afterwords. The Constructicons latched onto Prowl pretty much instantly and, quote, loved how his mind works.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    This is TFW2005; people are going to complain no matter what MMC does.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, if any of the 3 made a Prowl that could sub in for Devastator that would be mighty tempting. And if it happened to be the one I chose to complete, I would buy it immediately. It would be so cool to have the option even if I'd only sporadically use it.

6. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's the waist of the robot above the hips and the whole upper body is hinged to it for his ab crunch and the combiners forward ankle motion. So it's not exactly something that can be casually adjusted being such a core structure piece of the entire toy design. When its cast in purple along with the hips there you won't notice it much. It also follows the look of the old toy and animation model with the cab offset from the mixer barrel

mmctru.jpg

The wheel placement is also a direct result of where the toys arms had to be hinged and transform by flipping around. If mmc adjusted the back end of the truck the entire arm design of their Mixmaster would be ruined as their placement is directly limited by where the shoulder, bicep rotation and bicep bend all had to be, the wheels directly correlate to all those hinge points.

It's an area that's very difficult to design relative to transformation and articulation and accuracy to the toon model.

Likewise the rear of the truck is half the combiner thigh so that cannot be narrowed either without causing big problems like the combiner not being able to attach its hip or have enough thigh mass to stand well.

mxistuff.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  7. bobagorof

bobagorof Well-Known Member

Hang on... are you saying things were placed in certain positions and done certain ways for a reason? :eek: 

• Like Like x 6
  8. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    I think it is fair to criticize the design, that doesn't mean that the design is bad, but it could lead to making some improvements on it if possible

• Like Like x 1
  9. mlgpapalouie

mlgpapalouie The King of Bad Luck

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    yeah i don’t think there’s anything wrong with nitpicking certain things even if there is a pretty good rhyme and reason for them. regardless i still think given MMC’s self imposed limitations these look pretty good.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I particularly appreciate when we hear the reason why. So few companies ever explain anything. We either figure it out or get nothing.

• Like Like x 6
  11. yuthura

yuthura Well-Known Member

Oh I completely understand, and I can see the wonderful engineering behind it, which is the main reason I'll be jumping in on this. Doesn't mean that there may be some consequences due to either the engineering or a choice to deliberately match either the toy or the toon that result in minor things that I personally find less appealing asthetically; even if that only takes as little as 1% of the enjoyment down, overall I'm sure the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts!

Assaultus and Maximus Pro are the absolute premium in my collection, and all l want is more; so keep it going! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  12. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's why I went over the structure of mmc's toy because seems very unlikely mmc could actually respond to criticisms of his truck mode given the goal is to keep these constructicons slim, highly part efficient and super posable alongside include parts like thighs folding out of mixer barrels they've already got so so much to deal with in making it all work nicely. No surprise some minor concessions are here n there.

The wheel thing on mixmaster makes me realize even more why other designers in the past have had the wheels segmented off as their own kibble so they don't get in the way of designing the arm parts and can snap on/around them instead but that of course is a byproduct of not being beholden to the g1 source material too.

gttwmix.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  13. KlotziDotCom

KlotziDotCom Metalhead Prime

I have no doubt that MMC will deliver - Their engineering is just over the top excellent and blows me away with every single bot they release.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks for taking the time to explain this - besides your toys being awesome, it’s these interactions and insights that make MMC stand out even more!

• Like Like x 1