Observation Regarding G1 Toys vs Updated Versions.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TyrantGalvatron, Jan 11, 2017.

1. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Great post. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

I grew up on G1 as well, but like others have said I have more attachment to the characters than the toys. Maybe it's because when I was a kid I didn't have that many TF figures, but I tend to pick up the guys that are newer versions of the guys I had in the past. When they first started releasing G1 reissues back in the 00's I was excited at first, but the high price and aged designs stopped my collecting before it even started, the only one I ever picked up was the TRU Powermaster Prime (my favorite toy as a kid.) Now I'm even more pumped that I should get Super Ginrai tomorrow.

I will say that my favorite current figures are all modern interpretations of the toys I had as a kid. Various Optimus Primes, DX9 Carry, CW Ultra Magnus, TR Galvatron.

3. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Totally agree with you. Classics collection and mp/3p collection for me! G1 for adults

4. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, it's a little more specific and weird. I have three "ideals" when it comes to these characters, and these toys (two distinct things for me,) which provoke that feeling of G1 childhood wonder.

1) Certain G1 toys. There are certain toys that will never be surpassed for me in terms of nostalgia and wonder and magic. It doesn't matter that their newer iterations are superior from an engineering and articulation standpoint. These are usually toys I opened on Christmas morning as a kid. Toys like Powermaster Optimus Prime. So much so, that I've actually foregone the Takara Super Ginrai, because he looks too "skinny" to me. My PMOP was never Ginrai, he was his own distinct character; a resurrection of Optimus Prime. And he needs to be FAT, junk in the trunk, chunky. Other examples would be Pretender Skyhammer, and G2 Dreadwing, among the last toys I bought as a teen. That said, I still want Generations versions of these... but they need to have that chunky feel to them. (This is why Fans Hobby's take on PMOP is so exciting to me.)

2) Certain CHARACTERS, that I need portrayed as they were in the cartoon, in the Masterpiece line. Optimus Prime, Jazz, Ironhide, Megatron, Soundwave, Shockwave, and others, exist to me more as characters than toys. While I loved my G1 Optimus toy, I was more into his character on the show than the toy. To that end, there are a lot of characters in the Masterpiece line that give me that absolute feeling of wonder as well. Seeing an animation accurate Shockwave literally gave me spine tingles lol. It really was like he "stepped out of the cartoon," to the extent that's possible in a symmetrical, functional toy. These characters are more about personality, voice, and posture, than about their toys for me. This is also the case for me with Beast Wars, the last animated fictional continuity I loved as a teen, and why the latest Generations BW figures and masterpieces are so exciting to me. I love those characters... and need them all. :p  I never had any of the BW TOYS, though.

3) Generations figures (and sets) of toys I ALWAYS WANTED AS A KID BUT NEVER HAD. This is where Generations comes in for me, big time. I had very few headmasters, only one powermaster (Prime,) and only two Pretenders (Waverider and Skyhammer.) I'm sure we all remember pouring over those checklist catalogs with their awesome purple and red color schemes (until the less 80s-a-rific white and tan took their place,) and still feel that twinge of nostalgia when we see them or think about them. Part of that was the sense of the "wide world of Transformers," this broad spectrum of characters that made up massive armies and teams. Many of those I never had but always wanted, so the Generations line's current take on them, and the hope of Micromasters and Pretenders in the future, is a big draw for me.

4) EXCEPTIONS. All of the above provoke the childhood "wonder" in me. There are exceptions, however. I owned a G1 Astrotrain and loved it, but I think a Generations Astrotrain that actually turns into a locomotive would be more evocative to me of the feeling of cool, grey and black "spacey-ness" of him. We have yet to see one and I will flip when he finally exists, if he ever does. And I'm pretty sure I want that to happen even more than an MP Astrotrain. Somehow he screams "toy" to me, not character... yet I still can't help feeling an updated locomotive and space shuttle Astrotrain (not the weird "new" trains they keep using) would hit the spot for me more than the G1 toy does. So he's a tweener (somewhere between toy and character... which is what Generations is all about to me!) Likewise, even though I loved the CHARACTER more than the toy of Kup, I'm excited about the G1 toy like take on Kup in Titans Return. Again, a tweener.

So it's very character/toy specific for me, and seems to depend on a lot of factors.

I will say this for ALL of them, though... the G1 BOX ART is by far the single most nostalgia and wonder inducing thing for me. I wish - OH do I wish - modern Generations came in that packaging, or something like it. Metallic block lettering and grid lines against purple or red. Ugh. That's Transformers to me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I was born in the mid 70s so when Transformers came out, I was their target audience. I was mesmerized on day one. Still am.
    I'm a trained mechanic, so that's how my brain has always worked. When I was a kid, collecting G1 stuff, I used my imagination to make up for technical flaws.
    Fast forward to now... I collect MP scale stuff that scales properly and aesthetically encompasses what my imagination had to make up for in the past.
    But.. even though the nostalgia is there, it isn't the same as when I flip a G1 figure to it's next mode and laugh at how bad it is.
    I actually miss the shitty screen accuracy of the old toys. And the scale... soooo off but still cool as heck.

I'm not going back to G1 ever, because I chose to do MP scale. Onto the 3P stuff now cause it's about the best for my money to fill the few gaps left in what I'm trying to put together.

But the good old days will always be in my memories.

When I'm in an old folks home, I hope they have a big fuckin man cave full of all this shit for us all to piss around with

• Like Like x 2
  6. comicfan17blue

comicfan17blue Well-Known Member

I grew up on G1 reruns on Saturday mornings and the only figures I had as a kids were Optimus, Soundwave, Metroplex and Hun-gurr.

When I started collecting again I picked up G1 reissues and are still trying to obtain figures I didn't get a chance to own as a kid. I'm slowly working on that goal.

However, the original classics/henkei line has been the only line I have been excited about collecting like the G1 toys. The nostalgic feeling the toys brought when they first came out was amazing for me plus the cost (cheap)and playability were top notch.

I understand the appeal of the MP line but the expense and due to that expense a lack of playability really put the classics line at the top of my collection. In addition the other lines that have feed off that to give us the "CHUG" acronym are cool too but I stick to G1 characters with decor that pay homage to their G1 counterparts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still have all of the G1 toys I had as a kid. With only a few exceptions, I've never bought any G1 toys as an adult. (I picked up a Wide Load because he was the only Throttlebot I didn't have [and he was cheap] and I picked up a Micromaster Hot Rod Patrol because I'm into the classic car thing.) But G1 nostalgia didn't fuel those purchases... I don't sugarcoat it in my head, most G1 toys were bricks, and I was into the whole presentation as much as the toys themselves. I could maybe see myself going down the MISB collection road if it wasn't kind of ridiculously expensive. But I would say I get much more enjoyment out of current toys.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I get the 'they're ones that I always wanted when I was a kid but I never got for one reason or another' vibe, but when I got G1 Octane (who I always wanted) I was disappointed. Having said that when I finally got G1 PMOP he was everything I wanted, but then as a kid I had more exposure to him because my cousin owned him.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I do understand the distinction between getting G1 toys as an adult where the appreciation seed has been sown by childhood experiences or exposure, but I can also say that I have bought G1 toys which are completely new to me - with no tie or experience to my 80s experiences - such as G1 Rotorstorm, Doubledealer, Overlord, Spinister, Needlenose, Quake, Slapdash, Getaway, Pointblank, which sparked immediate appreciation and adoration for me based mostly on how good the toy felt on first handling. But of course that is undoubtedly laced with an underlying and underpinning appreciation for the aesthetic and construction values of G1 toys.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 1
  10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hmm. I got Overlord an an adult, and actually he was amazing. But he was super mint in a minty box... And Doubledealer is amazing anyway, he'd still be a feat of engineering today. It's weird, I don't know how much of my love for G1 is childhood contamination...

11. BottleOfFuture

BottleOfFuture Weaponizer

There is some sort of charm to g1 "bricks". Same with Megazords, Braves, etc. Figures can be fun even with a desperate lack of articulation, but I don't know how to explain it other than gimmicks they may have

12. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

For me, it's the opposte. I mean, I'm 37 and I watched Transformers since they first aired. I had a lot of toys and I loved them all. But now? I still love Transformers, but I want figure made with modern tecnology and engineering. I love having robots that can move and transform as in TV instead of being bricks. I remember the first time I saw MP 01...I was totally blown away, it was the figure I always dreamed of. Now I'm collecting masterpieces and chugs, sometimes I don't like very much the new design of some characters, but I'll never go back to G1 toys.

13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I had to go to the Brave series to get that feeling for me, since I'd been exposed to most of the G1 toys in some form through my life.

14. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Child of the 80's here. I love the classics style and Masterpiece for pretty much the same reason, but obviously more with masterpiece. They fullfill what I always dreamed as a kid what transformers could be. Oddly, that is why the voyager KO of MP-10 is my favorite toy. It is the fullfillment of my childhood dream. The diecast G1 toy cab turning into this perfect cartoon interpretation action figure. It scales to the G1 toys and feels perfect. Thats what classics and MPs are to me. But the original toys have great charm.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

The opposite happened to me. When I started collecting, I imagined building up a nice G1 collection but over time I realized that was a mistake. The only G1 figures I care about anymore are the ones I specifically remember enjoying as a child, the main ones being Powermaster Prime, Ultra Magnus and Seaspray. Everything else that I acquired as a collector was sold off as the updated versions were superior in most every possible way to me.

16. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I grew up with G1, and nothing else has quite the same swag.

There are lots of Classics and Masterpiece that look exciting to me in pictures, and I have bought some, but once I get my hands on them they just don't hold my interest much. I still have love for a few newer things that I picked up, though. Masterpiece Soundwave, Wheeljack, Sideswipe, Bluestreak, Grimlock and MP10 are all undeniable. Fanstoys Shockwave is solid. I love classics Cyclonus, Scourge, Wreck-Gar and Cosmos too.

I'm really deterred from buying more Masterpiece due to the space that they take up and the cost. For the same price, I can get some amazing mint G1s which take up like 1/4 the area.

• Like Like x 2
  17. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I collect both G1 and CHUG. I dig CHUG figures, but I will always appreciate G1 far more. I appreciate 80's toys in general far more than modern toys. No matter how many new figures are released, my old Transformers, Star Wars, GI*JOE, and M.A.S.K. are going to mean more to me. About the only modern toy line I appreciate more than the original is Masters of the Universe Classics.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

There are many G1s that I'm quite fond of. Those are the ones that I had, and played with as a child. Upon entering adulthood, I spent some cash on ones I felt I had been deprived of as a kid. But something was missing. Most of these were devoid of magic. To me, they were just overly simplistic versions of characters I liked. And to that end, I would rather mess with an unknown Beast Wars bot than a G1 that I loved because it was more fun.

So I wanted bots that represented characters I loved with good sculpting and articulation. Generations has been my mainstay, because 3P is too expensive, and because I often enjoy updated, detailed designs to that old G1 toon aesthetic.

But not all generations are created equal, and many are ruined by poor interpretation, sculpting, or gimmick. I still find myself waiting for definitive versions of characters like Shockwave, the seekers, OP and Megs, Prowl, Ratchet, and Ironhide. Others weasel their way into my collection by virtue of being awesome toys with no attachment to the character. Guys like Shrapnel, Cosmos, Mindwipe, Jetfire, Highbrow, and Skullcruncher mean nothing to me, but their toys rock. Then you have easy passes like Sentinel Prime, Alpha Trion, Blaster, and the TR tapes. Uninteresting toys (to me) with uninteresting characters are oh so merciful to my wallet.

But as I get older my nostalgia weakens. That G1 hankering tugs a lot lighter these days. But the characters I will always love. I feel like they are just spirits waiting for the right vessel to inhabit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2008 - "I don't need to pick up every CHUG, just the cool looking ones, i must finish my G1 collection."

then 2010-11 CHUG hit and it was "crap, time to catch up and fill in the gaps." thankfully there weren't too man to fill in though.

i remember when G1 started in 1984; few CHUG figures bring back that "wow, fun" feeling as most G1 figures did, but there's a few (and some Masterpieces too) that bring back that feeling from childhood. character accurate Jetfire was one, the seekers, Wheeljack, Drift...

-

• Like Like x 1
  20. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're an 80s baby, but thought classics was the it line for you?? If you want an updated version of the original line, masterpiece is where is at for you. There might not be far along, or have all the characters yet, but classics are reimaginings, not end all be all interpretations.