Oakley, Inc to make high-end limited edition 3D Glasses for Dark of the Moon

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Okay, in the theater, and just trying on the Oakleys vs the theater pair, the bit about how the Oakleys provide less back reflection and make it seem less like you're wearing 3D glasses is absolutely true. The theater pair has some glare on the inner rims and some reflections of things behind me in the lens. The Oakleys are crystal clear, and dim the screen less than the theater specs. So that's one plus.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, if the 3D on them things is stellar I'll be a little more reluctant about popping them out for regular lenses. It just means I should watch more 3D movies to get my money's worth. :lol 

Awesome. I figured the reason behind my getting headaches was because of the shoddier generic 3D glasses.

Is the lack of back reflection due to the fact that the Gascans wrap around your head or is it just due to better lenses? I have a pair of generics in hand and they are back reflecting on the sides because they don't wrap around.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  3. Razerwire

News Credits:
  4. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Okay, so. Glasses performed quite well during the movie. The image itself was never dramatically sharper or the 3D effect much more amazing than using the standard pair given out at the theater, but the picture seemed a bit less dark and the colors truer to standard with the Oakleys than the loaners. A lot of the benefit, as Razerwire mentioned, comes from the shape of the frames, which are more akin to wraparound sunglasses versus the Buddy Holly-esque frames of the standard pair.

I found a lot of the peripheral vision issues and reflection glare to be negligible or in most cases completely eliminated with the Oakleys. Unless you're trying to tilt your head forward and angle your eyes up to see the screen, the frames don't interfere with your view of the screen. You can easily turn your head to the side to whisper something to the person next to you while still keeping your eyes on the screen without ending up peeking out the side of the lenses.

Also, the 3D images stayed perfectly aligned no matter what angle or orientation I held my head at, unlike the theater specs. There were a couple of spots in the movie when I saw some 3D "ghosting" on either side of a 3D object, but a quick swap to the theater specs showed the same issue, so it was a problem with the film/projector, and not the glasses themselves.

Overall, they're definitely better than the theater specs, but unless you either watch a LOT of movies in 3D or plan, as I do, to swap some lenses and use these as sunglasses when you're not in the theater, you'll definitely find something better to spend your money on. I don't regret the purchase in the least, they're quite nice, but as purely 3D lenses, they're more of a novelty/luxury purchase than a must have.

I will add one caveat, I didn't feel at all eye strained or headachey when leaving the theater even after seeing two movies back to back and I usually will get at least a little headache, so if you have issues with such things when seeing 3d films, it might be worth looking into the Oakley glasses.

5. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I think your last point alone merits me buying a pair. So far I've been turned off by 3D movies because of the headaches I get from watching them with the generic specs. The last movie I saw in 3D was Toy Story 3 and I recall leaving the theater in Orlando with a headache.

Whether or not the lenses can be swapped out will be an added bonus for me. Hopefully these will allow me to watch more 3D movies in the future.

6. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Also, not really feasible for glasses wearers without contact lenses. It's not the size of the lens:

[​IMG]

You can see how my glasses could easily fit within the 3D frames. The problem is the curvature of the Oakleys themselves. No matter how small your lenses are, they'll likely block the Oakleys from sitting far enough back to seat properly and be functional/comfortable:

[​IMG]

7. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon R to the D to the D yo.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    I figured as much, my Wiley X's are the same way, but I got prescription lenses for them.

8. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Okay, Got my Polarized Bronze Gascan lenses from Oakley today. They *are* at a slightly different natural curvature than the 3d lenses. HOWEVER! The 3D lenses are thinner than the standard gascans, so they fit the curvature of the gascan frames when they're installed. The long and short of it is, I've swapped teh lenses back and forth 4 times now checking for fit and any issues, and found absolutely none. The official oakley lenses, despite having a slightly different curvature, fit into the 3D Gascan frames just fine, and I've noticed no peeling of the 3D coating in the slightest, and I've been meticulous about checking everything on all the lenses and frames after each swap. That's not to say it will never happen, but shouldn't be an issue as long as you remain careful and don't just repeatedly swap them back and forth. I don't have any reservations about popping the bronze lenses in for the next few days and popping the 3D lenses in for DOTM, then back to the bronze until the next 3d film comes out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    AWESOME.

I'm wondering if Oakley will release 3D replacement lenses in the near future. I mean, they should right? They do it for all their frames that are still in production. If I were to accidentally drop them (knock on wood) and scratch the lenses, shouldn't I be able to replace them?

That said, I'm definitely going to pick up a pair this Friday when the store gets them in. I'll also be looking into regular lenses to swap.

Did you have to follow a certain process in switching them out? Any tricks we should know about?

10. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Just be careful. Use your thumbs to gently pry the frames away from the lenses and wrap your fingertips behind and use them to gently push the lenses out of the front of the frames. Vice versa when going back in. The sunglasses lenses do require a bit more pressure than the 3D lenses due to the thickness, just don't *force* them in. Take your time and work your way around the edge of the frame and use just enough gentle pressure to ensure the lens is seated properly and you shouldn't have any issues.

As for replacement 3D lenses, no clue. They've offered the 3D gas cans for a while now and I've seen no evidence that they plan to offer replacements, but who knows. Maybe they figure since these are intended for non-active use there's no point in making them available without frames.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  11. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Sweet. Now it's just a question of what color lenses I want. :D 

12. changepas39

changepas39 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wished I had the funds for those!!!

13. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
  14. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Do the logos on the inside of the ear stems look like they would wear off easily? It seems like a rather odd place to put them since that's the place with most contact between the ear stems and your head.

I'm wondering what it would look like with a Ruby Iridium/Fire Iridium right side and an Ice Iridium on the left. :lol 

15. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    No, they look fairly sturdy, but having had these for just over a day who knows.

I'm seriously considering nabbing a set of the mirrored purple aftermarket lenses for these.

New VL Polarized Violet Purple Lenses For Oakley Gascan | eBay

16. Razerwire

News Credits:
  17. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Blue. Which is why I like the idea of some purple lenses to sit between the red and blue O's

18. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Ahhh. Very clever!

I think I'm going to start off with a set of Ice Iridiums (I'm a sucker for those) and then get a pair of Fire/Ruby Iridiums later so I can have the option of both. :D 

19. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, the fire iridiums look super sweet too.

20. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Also, glad I got the Bronze polarized when I did! Almost all of the lenses on the Oakley website now have a "3-4 weeks" ship time.