NYCC TF Prime BB and Arcee

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starstriker, Oct 15, 2011.

1. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I decided yesterday I would spring for this set. I just love Arcee in her G1 ice cream flavored color scheme; surprising since I was blase about the figure in it's screen-accurate colors. And I am dying to have my hands on Prime Bee, and even if I find my self wanting the regular deco as well this will still look great in my "Many Faces of the Modern Bumblebee" display.

2. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    I love this set! No matter what! It's an awesome set!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. agentofprime

agentofprime Well-Known Member

I got my set in today and I think they are great. The human figures are okay , the hands on Jack look funny and Raph has a big head.

Arcee looks good but needs a little paint on her arms and some detail.

Bumblebee is good but needs some detail work on him. Also I broke the gray clip that holds the left hood in place. The first time I transformed him the gray piece snaped off.

Overall I am glad I got this set.

4. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When i get my blue one, those arm blades are coming off SOOOOOO fast, and she will be displayed as Chromia with my Classics! Nice. Are they easy to take off?

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bumblebee pros:
    . Vehicle mode is nice and quite solid when transformed right.

. I find I like the "Bayformers-by-way-of-the-Incredibles" aesthetic.

. Several aspects of the transform design are clever and surprising, especially how the pull off the wheel-enclosed-in-arm for robot mode.

. Taxi paint job is cute, though in practice it's not much different than standard Bumblebee. This toy seems to do a slightly above-average job matching paint and plastic colors though.

Bumblebee cons:
    . He's got a bit of a proportion problem in robot mode, with squat lower legs making the upper body seem more gorilla-ish than it actually is. The arm design also results in the shoulders pushed far forward in official configuration.

. Transformation is complex and fiddly, especially to car mode. A lot of my issues come from the pronounced locking tabs that hold the vehicle together securely, but can be trouble to peg and unpeg.

. The upper chest area doesn't clip together as secure as the car mode does, so you may find yourself frequently adjusting for an asymmetrical upper body.

Arcee Pros:
    . Both modes look quite decent. Vehicle mode is quite secure when pegged together right.

. Transformation is intuitive and clever in spots, easier than Bumblebee anyway.

. Nice joints for posing.

Arcee Cons:
    . A lot of the front end bits of the bike just get in the way, in transformation and moving the arms around.

. A few bits of screen-inaccuracy. The shoulder spikes point down more than back here (probably related to the above issue) and the face sculpt seems off. I chalk that up to Prime Arcee having a very simple yet specific face design, which may be tough to perfect in a half-inch tall bit of molded plastic.

. Has a little of the same problem as Bumblebee with the chest pieces getting misaligned. It's not as bad though, thankfully as adjusting a toy that looks like a tribute to the 1950s in profile is awkward enough without having to do it all the time. ;) 

. The pink is a nice tribute to G1, but still looks like the toy's been dipped in bleach or something.

. Blade weapons are kinda iffy, but easily left out if you don't like them.

Kids pros:
    . "NY Autobot" shirts are cute.

. Sculpts look adequately like the characters, if a bit simplified.

. I was pleasantly surprised the figure bases were not part of the figures themselves.

Kids cons:
    . I'm not sure about Jack's proportions. Skinny body and smallish head gives off a basketball player vibe.

. Paintwork can be a little rough on edges and details.

Overall: Probably not worth it if you don't care about the exclusive color scheme or getting an early release of the toy, but totally worth it if you do.

6. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    Just arrived, had to call hts about the damage, got free shipping at least.

Gonna open it now.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't even think the blades stay in place for transformation. They plug into those 5mm ports by her elbows.

8. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I'm actually pretty sure that that one wheel winding up on her back is somewhat accurate. Except in the CG, it's enclosed in her torso, rather than just hanging around as a backpack.

I've not taken a really close look at the CG, but I remember seeing a black, tire-like strip down the middle of her back.

9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I opened mine earlier today. I like the designs and the detail, but to me they both feel very fragile. The plastic feels particularly thin, light and flimsy. When I transformed Bumblebee, the lower clip on his driver's side door got a nasty-looking stress mark, so I don't think I'll be transforming him much anymore.

I pulled out my old Energon Arcee to compare to Prime Arcee. They are almost the same size in bike mode, but Energon Arcee is noticeably heavier and feels more solid. Prime Arcee feels like she would shatter if I gripped her too tightly. I hope the general retail releases use a better grade of plastic.

10. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    My Bumblebee has a broken hook...

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
  12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Okay, that's totally awesome that Arcee can cross her arms properly.

13. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Agreed!
    I love the above pic.

I wasn't really looking forward to the Deluxe Arcee mold that much, but seeing it closer now that people are getting this one in hand.. it does look a lot better than I thought it would. I still think I'll wait for the blue one, but I think the toy looks great!

14. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Prime Arcee can cross her arms....AWESOME!

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wasn't in full fanboy mode from the early shots, but now that we've seen how posable she is (and of course that the weapons aren't permanently attached to her arms), the blue one is a definite buy for me (along with Starscream).

16. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Warning, with those little hooks on Bumblebee's chest, be careful not to apply too much pressure, they break REALLY easily. :( 
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Looks like the other one is already showing stress marks.

17. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think mine just came broken, couldn't even find the broken hook bit. Mine is broken in the same area.

18. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    I'll need to check the hooks on mine. I think I'll go ahead and glue in some support struts anyway, just in case.

By the way, how does he fit together when the hooks aren't there?

EDIT: It seems to me if you carved out another hook section closer to the head and trimmed away at the parts that cover the autobot symbol, you could get the pectoral pieces to sit in closer, making for a tighter robot mode fit and a more screen accurate figure. Could also apply pressure to the abdomen piece to help keep the chest from rocking.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Can someone make shapeway attachments on her arm instead of those blades? like, give her the laser guns she's got or a thiner blade.

20. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Review: NYCC Prime Deluxe Bumblebee / Arcee

If you like packaging, the box is pretty nice. Cute little figurines, too. But i just throw them in the trash.

BB: I chose to spend 40 on this set for 2 reasons. There are NO DOTM figs I currently want. And I want a Prime BB in movie / show accurate orange. The pink Arcee is a nice nod to G1. But will not substitute for the blue FE I will eventally buy.

The color inhand is a movie orange yellow.I think the FE BB will be a lemon yellow. The translucent blue windows and lamps are a nice thick turquoisy blue. The yellow is a little light om the window frames. But it dosnt show in bot mode. Very nice. And the NYC taxi deco is more mild than the FE. Atleast the grey door hinge is inside the black stripe... Hubcaps are silver. Front has grey plastic behind it. While rear has yellow.

Car mode is very nice. Looks like a simplfied movie Camaro. Gun bearly stores underneath.

Robot. Conversion was a nice update to a simple transformation. There's a few little details that I really apriciated. Although I got stuck folding his massive forearms back to car mode... And i had trouble pulling down the front grill. Deatails are spot on. Shoulders. Torso. Inside the feet you can see his show wheels molded in. Just not painted. All look great! And lots of posabillity. The big chunky feet are my least fav about bot mode. But the inclusion of a heel makes the back heavy Bee stand tall...

Score: 9 / 10

Arcee: The pink / white is a nice homage to G1. But I really don't care for it. I'll probably call her Alita One. To bright and not enough contrast. The paint job is nice. There is some dark grey to break up the lightness. Just not where it should be. And I can't really see a human riding this bike. Especially not a dude...

The sculpt is amazing. Bike mode is nice. Definately remove the blades. And the kickstand was a nice added detail. Gears, chains, windshield, side mirrors and seat all look great! Bike is a little chunky but nice.

Bot mode: For my money Animated Prowl was the BEST bike bot ever made. But this one is good, too. Just a few areas of kibble which make articulation a little tough in the arms. When I saw the first protos with the shoulder wings down, I always thought they should rotate up. And they do! It gets in the way though. So I end up keeping them down. Hopefully a fan more talented than I can mode this fig to be better. She's close. But not perfect.

Score: 8 / 10

Attached Files: