NYCC 2016 - Official Titans Return Transformers Images

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Kickback, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Black Shadow from Overlord is odd and I dunno how to feel about it, especially when Thunderwing exists as Black Shadow's obvious retool. But he does look good and cool. Wonder if I could use him in an MP display alongside Star Saber. Anyway I think Black Shadow also has a drone? I'm assuming that means we'll have a Mega Child. i still wanna see Overlord though. If Hasbro doesn't use the IDW head then I may save my money and just stick with Hasbro's but otherwise it's straight to waiting on Takara's.

2. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I was at Botcon this year and assumed that it was Overlord that was teased but was not positive. I'm glad to see that it is for sure the case now!

3. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Complexity isn't the only thing. There's also solidity; while hollowness has always been a thing and certain transformation elements like flip out wrists and flip over legs generally carried them aside from occasional flaps, in general figures ere more solid. On top of that we do gave things like Galvatron where it just doesn't feel like they fully though things through. They could've VERY easily had the cannon peg onto the side of the arm and they could've VERY easily had that same face gimmick actually work had they put in an extra ten minutes. Hasbro was also quite good about their paint before. Things like unpainted wheels weren't really a thing till DOTM although the designs at that time were still often quite stellar.
    If you were at the panel when Overlord was teased, you might recall that they gave an obvious hint when they mentioned "lording over."

• Like Like x 1
  4. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I just realized, what if Hasbro did not tease us Overlord but instead Black Shadow at Botcon? :eek: 

I mean the vehicles mode match up... but they could still do Overlord? I don't know, if you make a Black Shadow I'm expecting a Thunderwing sometime in the near future not an Overlord.

5. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Oooooh good catch! Now I want them to make an "Old Snake" titan master to buddy up with his. So one can take the jet while the other takes the tank.

They can do both. Need I remind you of Jetfire and his triplets?

6. dirtmodeler

dirtmodeler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really like that Broadside! i\'ve zero knowledge of the character in general, but he looks pretty darn neat in the official image bot mode! 

7. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    We've been over this. It's overlord. The jet sillouettes don't match up, and where Sky Shadow has guns, the botcon shadow has overlord shoulder cones.

Also the fact that making a tank and a jet that combine into a single robot is kinda overlords shtick.

8. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    ...Just look at it. It's even more blatantly a pretooling of Overlord than Combiner Wars Optimus was for Motormaster or Sentinel Prime was for Astrotrain. Obviously Black Shadow was chosen as a retooling possibly because A) Overlord needed a retooling, B) Generations Black Shadow is a little short for the character and C) it gives us all three Phase Sixers in one line.

Poor Flywheels.

9. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Trigger Happy looks like it uses the Blurr/Brainstorm mold. You can see it in the official images.

The Mindwipe comparison has nothing to do with the wings it is to do with how the figure appears to transform.

Twinferno could be a new mold, Triggerhappy is definitely based on Blurr.

10. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Triggerhappy is like a combination of Brainstorm and Highbrow. It's weird. It's

11. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do a TR Starscream and use Old Snake for the Titan Master, that would be a nice nod. And I still say they should have done Black Shadow, and heck even Thunderwing from the Leader Jetfire mold would have worked. At least Overlord should look cool.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I would suggest having pictures of Blurr/Triggerhappy side by side, because there is not a stitch of tooling shared between them. The waists are similar, but different, and probably only look as similar as they do because of the moulding holes for the waist swivel. The sculpted detail is different however, and otherwise they transform totally different and look totally different. EDIT: Scratch that, Triggerhappy doesn't seem to have a waist swivel, those holes look to be part of a hinge for the cockpit. (Which hinges opposite of Blurr, if this is the case)

Twinferno doesn't transform anything like Mindwipe. Again, Mindwipe turns upside down, but Twinferno doesn't, plus his beast mode arms fold forward before the entire chest folds down. His legs merely fold up, while his beast mode legs make his feet. On Mindwipe his robot mode arms make his beast legs.

Again, really surprised there's any confusion.

13. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Nah, he already got his leader scale mold(though maybe a deluxe later from a remold of a jet?). But Tidalwave would be perfect and also nod GI Joe's Flagg carrier ship. That'd be an epic choice for the nod too. But really it needs to be a single carded Titan Master. Possibly of starscream's head to old Snake in the titan master robot mode. Because if it's included with another bot, that means there's one running around with no head. So a single carded Titan Master would be best for filling in those extra seats.

Then they couldn't do the Titan Master aspect to mimic as close as they could to his pretender shell persona. And it wouldn't have had his extra little drone jet either. This is perfect and still gives us leader scale of him and Thunderwing. Seems rather fitting tbh to have three of the most powerful decepticons literally cut from the same mold. Almost poetic really. Jetfire in concept was always intended to eventually become the triplets in IDW design. And now they're done to go with Megatron's leader figure and Soundwaves, so we can focus on others that need even better and more intricate molds!

14. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    With all the remolds that get churned out and you're surprised there would be confusion?

The Triggerhappy transformation looks quite clear to pick out. The arms will fold up and lock into place like Blurr. The white guns will folder on to the arms like how the vehicle parts do on Blurr's arms.

The front of the cockpit will detach and/or fold on to the back of the figure like Blurr.

So there is definitely some shared tooling.

Upon further examination it is possible that the legs are newly created for this figure and swing down behind the figure and lock into place.

I believe we're both right and wrong. So it's a draw.

15. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

I'd be up for this, but we did just get a Galvatron from the line, so I doubt it.

It's generally aggreed that his is Hasbro's diabolically ingenius plan to get us to buy more toys. But the less sought after deco out first. So it's like "ooh, Sentinel prime, a new mold! gimme!" Then "ooh, now it's astrotrain, gimme!" Admit it, if they did it the other way around, you'd say "meh" to Sentinel Prime and other characters. You can still defeat the strategy by skipping the early less desirable characters if you have the will power. Hasbro is banking that we don't. They're probably right.

16. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the battle beast white lion and headmaster cartoon nod .

17. stephen

stephen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    He was always a flying brick.

18. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unless there is a plan to make a Thunderwing from the same mold (at this point, possible, knowing Hasbro), I thought the leader Jetfire mold had a better alt mode, and still mount the drone under the nose using the gun mount. This way Overlord could maintain his more unique duo-con body while Thunderwing and Black Shadow maintain the tradition of sharing a mold. And while Leader Megs was released in combiner Wars, he wasn't a combiner, so not every figure really needs to stick with the gimmick. Just wished they stop making everyone a headmaster.

The moment I saw the seekers in the leader mold I bought the Igear voyager Raptors.

19. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Overlord is a perfect fit for Titan Returns, considering it's a line wherein the Leader class toys all have base-modes (like the original G1 toy had) and smaller Titanmaster partners that used to be the "-master" partners in the 80's. Seeing as pretty much every mold (and especially Leader molds) inevitably receive a retool, it became a matter of choosing one that could be used as Overlord's... and Black Shadow is a character that traditionally has an alt mode made out of two combined figures and a giant jet mode so I guess that's why he was chosen. I'd hazard a guess that the second Titanmaster not seen in the official photos has a Pretender inner-robot inspired head too.

20. CrimsonMagnus

CrimsonMagnus Well-Known Member

What I love about TR is how faithful they are trying to be to the G1 such as blaster being a boombox instead of a communication truck. So the noise I made when I saw perceptor and his microscope was not human because he looks perfect to me

• Like Like x 2