NuRID Crash Combiner BeeSwipe/SideBee/BumbleWipe

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by tikgnat, Jan 25, 2017.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Before we begin, let me warn you that I quite like the NuRID One Steps, so my way of thinking may not necessary match with your way of thinking. And that's fine, variety is the spice of life after all. Now, first off I'm quite liking this BeeSwipe crash combiner. It's rediculous, very much in the same vein as the One Steps, so if you like them (precious few of us I know) or even the Superlink combiners in Energon then I think you'll like these.

[​IMG]

Alt modes are just boxes with push fit wheels. Not big either, kinda like small Legends. Bigger than Legions though. They desperately need more paint, it looks like there's a semi decent alt mode there if only it were embellished a bit.

[​IMG]

The robot modes are basically stand up the cars (ala RPM Speedstars!) but you do open up the chests to flip up the heads, rotate the feet out and swing out the arms a bit. Sideswipe can separate his legs a bit too(!) Considering their size they're not bad, but again would look much better with a lick of paint.

Hilariously they have the same articulation as G1 Duocons, because of those swing out arms only. But it's the combining them and it flipping out to be a robot which is actually really the fun bit, just like a Duocon! Shit, it they did actual Duocons (ie Flywheels and Battletrap) I'd be all over those like a rash. Anyway...

[​IMG]

He has long torso syndrome like G1 Squawkbox. This guy is very much in the same vein as the Superlink Energon Combiners, ie they're good 'toys' but as figures they're crippled by the gimmick Combination gimmick. But because this is spring loaded (as opposed to the manually conversion of Energon) it's actually really good fun.

Smush them together (in this case Sideswipe rearends Bumblebee for Autobot-centipede/insurance scam action) and *snap* suddenly there's a robot. It deffo brings a smile to my face, but it does look horrible.

Also £12/$12 is proper pushing it. £10/$10 is MAX really, £8/$8 is probably more the right speed.

TLDR, it looks terrible, but it's actually really good fun. Madness.

Edit
    Oh, you can pull BumWipes legs further apart then in my combined shot. Turns out Sideswipe has two positions for his legs, one click for the littl robot and all the way out for the combined mode. Doh!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could not agree more.

I seen them in the store and me and the son got excited. We picked up PrimeStrong though (which is the better set imho) And we REALLY had fun with em. The spring open combine gimmick is GREAT..my sone did it repeatedly and loved it. After we got the Beeside set be bust out other legends and just started playing. I didnt even realize at 1st they are perfect scale, I was in the mindset "these are thier own thing" but nope..work for legends nice.

If you JUST look at bot mode, they look pretty damn good. especially if you blacked out certain areas.

They are really fun toys, seem durable, and combine with the other for custom create your own shit. WIN.

The upcoming Jet set looks seriously fun. The combined mode on that one is real cool.

Cant knock articulation that bad..some G1 toys we loved just moved the arms too..and we know they were GREAT toys.

These need a commercial to show kids how they work. they are fun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    I really want to just get SkyHammer, but the idea of having anr amry od these and a bunch of different options is
    Uncomfortably tempting. $15 is just a lot though.

Dammit Tikgnat. I love things that are terrible but stupid fun.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Haha! Then my work here is done. Have a gif for good measure.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  5. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

If these had any usable articulation I wouldn't be against them on principle.

But even Skyhammer, who does look really cool in both modes, is hampered by the fact that his components can't even put their arms forward. Which makes them worthless to me. A combiner made up of two figures I don't want anything to do with isn't of any value to me.

6. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Know any kids who might enjoy this set? I picked the Sidebee set up out of curiousity and was pleasantly surprised at how fun they are despite the simplicity. I'm debating whether I should get the Primestrong set and then give them to my cousin's boys so they'll get the use they're meant for.

These are unashamedly kids' playthings, and are excellent in that role.

7. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

My nephews are too used to ones that... move. Like seriously, if they can't even point their arms at each other they're pretty much worthless. They got tired of the Rescue Bots ones for the same reason. They're 5 and 7, by the way.

8. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    My cousin's boys are 6 & 7 and for them One-Steps are about the right speed - they're smart but not really in a way geared to the 3D puzzle that is a mainline Transformer. (Not a knock - everyone is wired differently.) Yet they're fascinated by my collection and want to play with it. So I want to give them a play option that doesn't require me to stop what I'm doing every 30 seconds to transform a figure for them. (And that diverts them away from my more valuable pieces.)

It's awesome that Hasbro is releasing so many different versions of the characters geared to different skill levels, actually!

9. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    lol Bumblebee looked like he was waiting to take it in the rear.

10. lfpnrg

lfpnrg Member

News Credits:
    Purchased Beeside and Primestrong together, so hopefully no-one minds a joint review:

Packaging Photos:

Standard Robots In Disguise packaging with the 2017 "Combiner Force" subline logo, the toys are packaged in vehicle mode and the front of the packaging shows an illustration of the combined form of the figures. The back of the package is info heavy regarding the RID mobile app, along with pictures of the toys in combined mode and the actual combined name - Beeside and/or Primestrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vehicle Modes:

The vehicle modes are quite basic, in essence they remain faithful to previous versions of the characters in this line, however Optimus Prime struggles to resemble a truck in my opinion. Vehicle sizes are similar to the Battle Pack vehicles from 2016, around the same size as Legion Class vehicles but much more simple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robot Modes:

Robot modes are also very simple with next to no articulation, and again similar in size to a Legion Class figure (maybe slightly bigger) but much more basic. Transformation for all involves flipping down a chest panel to flip the robot head, pulling the arms outwards and separating the legs, certainly nothing difficult.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Combined Modes:

These are called Crash Combiner because to combine them you literally crash the front of one vehicle into the back of another, which initiates a spring loaded transformation. Feet and shoulders then need to be folded up or down and there you have it, once again quite simple, but it is advertised as a one-step transformation so it is what it is. The heads of the combined form are different from the individual robot heads, but the combiners aren't any more articulated.

Strongarm and Sidewipe both form combiner legs, while Optimus Prime and Bumblebee both form the upper bodies, which makes the combined duos interchangeable, forming "Beestrong" and "Primeside" (I guess). The two sets of legs and two sets of torso can also technically combine, but thats just silly (or awesome I suppose, depending on your perspective).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall:

An interesting new gimmick for Robots In Disguise, but the figures are nothing to get excited about - a Legion Class figure would be better than one of these value wise, so I guess you are just paying for the gimmick itself really. If you're not into the RID line, probably avoid, but I'm a completist so have welcomed Beeside and Primestrong to my collection.