Number One movie of the weekend and a box office flop

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DarkEnergon22, Jun 25, 2017.

1. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Can we make up our mind if this movie is a success or a failure please.

2. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    By it's standard 100 mil in US it's a flop and to 90% of people on this forum who are overly negative of each film. To the public it's a successful?

3. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

it's a failure...being #1 one weekend doesn't mean much...45m...ghastly...rotf made that in 1 day..on a wednesday

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It can be both, in different ways, or all at once. Its number one if it makes a ton of money this week (and even then you could argue its domestic performance and worldwide performance were not in proportion to eachother), but unless it makes a ton of money every week long enough to pay back... $217million dollars (it already has, by the way, globally), plus all the other additional expenses (marketing, etc), plus the return that producers, investors, and the studio were expecting (for comparison, DOTM and AOE both made over a billion dollars worldwide), it could still be a failure overall. For comparison, AOE only made ~200mil profit on that ~1billion revenue.

You may be right to imply that maybe people are calling the game before the end, but if this film is at roughly %25 of what it was expected to make, where the previous film was nearly 1.5x that its opening weekend, that's cause for concern. To date, TLK has earned less in 5 days than the last two films earned in 3.

What I find more interesting is if the biggest grossing film is considered a flop the week before independence day, what does THAT say about the movie theatre industry in the united states?!

5. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

Yeah.

Right now I don't know whether to be jumping up and down for joy, or to be scared sh*tless there wont be another movie. :lol 

6. Uncrazimatic55

Uncrazimatic55 Well-Known Member

90% of the people on this forum have always been negative of these films, because that 90% thinks these movies was made for us. These movies weren't made for us. Bay created is own Transformers universe, he wasn't necessarily going to follow what we all came to love about Transformers. He also had the blessing of Hasbro and Paramount. This was about expanding the franchise, not appeasing us nerds.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gjcv1408

gjcv1408 Well-Known Member

it could be #1 amongst movie this week and a flop in gross (US only). iv seen it, its just irritating like my son said, that there are more people scenes than tranformers ..its transformers movie, michael bay!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  8. Uncrazimatic55

No other movies came out so being the only new movie it's what people will most likely go see. It can also be a flop because it did not make what a summer blockbuster should make or what has been consistent for this franchise.

9. pjeung

pjeung Active Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    it's definitely sad to see how low the franchise has gone now. The buzz/hype definitely isn't there.. I still have a lot of friends/coworkers saying "transformers came out?" "Bro the last one i watched was like the 2nd one", "isn't Optimus Prime bad in this one? I ain't watching that".

I remember when people were actively talking about the 2nd, 3rd, and even the 4th movie before it came out. The 5th one had absolutely no momentum, which i found strange because the trailers and tv spots def worked for me.

Bad word of mouth, franchise fatigue, and bad critic/user reviews I think are the reasons why it "flopped". Like AOE, it appears the international box office is going to save the film from being a failure budget wise. But how long before the same reasons it's flopping domestically it starts to internationally? Something has to happen soon to revive the franchise.

10. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shia labeef

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Yeah, this time there's nothing up for interpretation; it bombed. The numbers & reviews speak for themselves. The quicker people just accept it and move on, the better.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    It's going to make its money but it will probably underperform, although I'd be pleasantly surprised if it picks up some steam.

But my gripe about the Bay series is, with the exception of part 1, it's just so inconsistent from one to the next to the point it will be hard to fix all the holes in the plot.

So while Bay is still ahead & this does make money ultimately, he should gracefully exit and let another director, hopefully a good one for the live action series, rtake the rein, refresh it, and we get a new vision.

I'm probably envisioning the Transformers live action series now like we elect US presidents. Bay is the founding father. But give a good director the opportunity every 3 to 5 movies or so to always keep the live action franchise fresh.

13. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    People it's not a bomb. But it would've been great if it was a box office hit in the USA. The problem is Americans are onto bay now. With bay's reputation, it didn't generate enough hype. Poor word of mouth in the US have affected its performance stateside, along w/ critics & bay's style that has gotten stale to the public. There's no franchise fatigue. Bay just didn't make a good movie Americans would flock to. Therefore, a new director to refresh the series is necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

So did it atleast make enough to make 6 and 7 happen?

16. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    Well they have to worry about their stateside take. It would be a big mistake for paramount to rely on china.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Probably not yet (figure breakeven is around 800mil), but its been out like 5 days, it still has time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Number one means jack shit... there were NO other wide releases this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Uncrazimatic55

It's also the 5th one. It gets stale after a while too. After the third one someone else should have taken the helm. Some new blood is always good, but Hasbro and Paramount probably thought they had a formula that worked.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    Bragging rights for TV ads :D 

• Like Like x 2