NotCon 2013

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Rewind, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was going to say something about TFcon. Got beaten to it.

2. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you for the most part, I am very surprised Atlanta get's ignored for the most part (although there is Dragon-Con)...Atlanta is almost always in the top 5 convention cities in national rankings, another "southern" city that springs up in the top 10 is Nashville and with a new convention center under construction, a "happenin'" downtown with a lot of activities...it makes sense as a location to hold this type of convention as well.

Convention Centers - Top 25 Sites and "Second-Tier" Convention Cities

Top 10 host cities of conventions - Business - US business - msnbc.com

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    That Bruticus sucks. It's what I expect combiner wise from Hasbro. Lol.

4. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

Well people mentioned TFcon already. But another con may not be bad, Seattle is nice...

5. sh002

sh002 Banned

i've seen a lot of people from frank and sons at botcon selling ko and third party stuff. why not just hold notcon at frank and sons? lol.

6. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Don't forget AWA...which I can't ever go to because it's always stupidly scheduled during sports season, & I'm in marching band. But Georgia as a whole is pretty much ignored, especially by the eyes of the Transformers world. Although something called SavCon is being held in Savannah this year...not too sure if it would be worth going. If a bunch of 3rd parties show up, I'll try to be there.

7. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I want to see this NotCon happen. With an awesome exclusive figure from an established 3rd party.

8. thielmj

thielmj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    first i love this idea, but as far as location i feel like west cost and south east do fine, they have had cons if florida and CA, IN, how about NY or Chicago

9. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

Notcon Canada edition 2014 :) 

10. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So any word if and when this SF con is going to take place and is XTerry involved? I am guessing since he is associated with some of the 3rd party groups out there and is local to SF that he must be one of the people on board about doing this thing. I live in SF too and would love to go to a local con and maybe XTerry can get his 3rd party buddies to produce some exclusives. Maybe variant TFC Hercules set just for con. They need to be careful though and not be like FP and the Powered Commander set for TFCon. Alot of people were fairly angry when FP released the Powered Commander set after the TFCon ones were release. Those things were going for 500 bucks on ebay after the con but prices tanked after FP made a mass release better version of it.

11. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

Honestly dude, never heard of AWA but Dragon-Con is a national convention and is big in the world of cosplay...I know a lot of people who have gone to Dragon-Con. I also know there used to be a quarterly toy show in Atl that AFA would attend...can't remember the name of it.

Have to say though, the whole Georgia being ignored thing post after post is getting pretty old...though I'd agree the southeastern U.S. as a whole tends to be the victim of stereotyping and often ignored by big comic/toy collector conventions. And sorry, but as someone who was born in Orlando and lived in South Florida, the Orlando Botcon show really doesn't count as southern IMHO...most of Florida from Ocala and points south is more populated by those rooted or migrated from northern "yankee" states, definitely not a "southern" vibe.

Bottom line though, there are some great conventon cities with a lot to offer something like a Botcon...Atlanta, Nashville, New Orleans and Charlotte would all make great host cities.

12. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    A Hercules set would be incredibly expensive and any upgrade kits will require another figure which may not be easy to come by. Not that those are bad ideas, but I think at least one reasonably priced (for 3rd party) standalone figure as an exclusive is a necessity.

13. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    COOL!

14. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I would kill to have something like this within driving distance from me. Atl, Birmingham, Nashville, or even Gatlinburg would be fanfuckingtastic.

15. Apoclatron5675

Apoclatron5675 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Notcon 2013 Nashville, TN. Make it happen...

16. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

@optimus12380: AWA is Anime Weekend Atlanta. And Georgia being ignored "post after post"? ...Whole else says the state is ignored?

@jerminator: Can't believe I forgot about Gatlinburg...I feel stupid.

@Apoclatron5675: Would gimme an epic excuse to go back to Tennessee...and is feasible for me. Although I'd prefer it be this year. =P

17. ae_productions

ae_productions G1 Fan

I'm totally down for this.

If you guys are serious about this, let me know. I'll do what I can to help organize this.

First we have to agree on a city. Tennessee sounds like a good place to nominate for the first year.

18. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another bid for Tennesse...right on the border of it!

19. ae_productions

ae_productions G1 Fan

Okay. For argument's sake, let's say Tennessee.

Next point of contention is when?

Eriku is right. We'd need about a year to make a good con. We can't really do February, cause that's the Toy show in NYC. Can't do July, that's Comic Con. How's April 2013? Once we agree on the date, we find a city, then a convention hall.

We have to take this to the fans. Find out what the dollar per head will be for us to break even for planning an event.

Once we have several hundred fans agree to this, we need to approach the third party vendors. Fansproject, iGear, MakeToys, TFC toys, Perfect Effect....we get a theme, and then, we get several of these top gun vendors to contribute one toy to create the mother of all box set exclusives.

20. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Gatlinburg's convention center is pretty decent and in the middle of all the kitschy touristy things as well. I went to a horror con there in Oct. called Horror Weekend.