NOT limited edition retail listings - PSA

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ROXXOR, Jan 8, 2020.

1. ROXXOR

ROXXOR Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I just received an e-mail from TFSource peddling "Limited Edition" Fans Toys figures (FT-30B and FT-31B).

These aren't "Limited Edition," as in Fans Toys is going to make a small quantity and never make it again.

Fans Toys did produce a limited edition "X" run for the di-bots, and FT-10X (Phoenix) was a limited edition. These all have uniquely numbered spec cards.

They also did a one-off gray Quakewave for Toy Dojo and they specified the number of FT-20G (Guardian repaint of Terminus Giganticus)... so I suppose those could be considered limited, but Fans Toys never said they would never make more (unlike the aforementioned "X" variants).

There have been limited quantities of some figures (like Apache and Koot) that had second issues, or eventual reissues. FT-16M and FT-29T are examples of limited quantity figures that I would expect to be reissued in the near future.

I think it's disingenuous for retailers to advertise these Fans Toys figures as a "Limited Edition" when the figures are not, in fact, limited edition. I would hate to see people fall for this kind of advertisement and quickly pre-order these figures in fear of a short supply. I would not expect a reputable retailer to use these tactics.

Edit - They have now fixed it and removed the "Limited Edition" verbiage from subsequent emails and the figure pages.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  2. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    K.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Krooked

Krooked Well-Known Member

thank you

4. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good callout, Roxor. Btw, at the rate people pre-order new FT products, they might as well be "limited editions", lol. Practically the only thing that flies off the proverbial shelf (i.e., the imaginary pre-order shelf) faster at retailers are Takara MP products.

Well hopefully not the near future. Hopefully any reissues happen after they get all the new figures out at least one time. :) 

5. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Might as well be, Fanstoys doesn’t make enough at times and so many people auto buy them because it’s FT that they go like they are limited. FT should expand their factory production and straight up tell everyone they aren’t limited.

6. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

Based on my observation, every seller/store gets one allotment only, hence from their POV, it is limited.

If it sells out in their store, that's it. They won't be able to get a new shipment until FansToys reissues it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw the same thing and was trying to work out if it was some special "Toy" edition or something.
    What they actually mean is "first run in limited numbers" with a caveat that more will be available shortly after.

FT stuff does sell out quickly, but these day's it's common for FT to do a small run for an initial release and then double back with either additional copies within a month or two or an outright second run within 6 months.

Also:
    Did FT do additional runs of Koot? I missed out the first time and I haven't been able to track any down since.. not without stupid aftermarket inflation at least.

8. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Thanks, very confusing.

9. ROXXOR

ROXXOR Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have no direct knowledge of the quantities, but I would be surprised if they produced quantities less than they produced for Spoiler/Breakdown.

In fact, they're producing more Roadking figures (this month) and it's reasonable to assume the ratio of each limb bot to Roadking would be around 1:1. My guess is that they'll be producing as many and perhaps more figures than they produced for Spoiler given the success of the first two stunticons.

They did a small batch in 2017 and followed-up with an additional batch 7 months later in 2018. There's been no word of another Koot reissue thus far.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To some extent (I don't know to what degree though) that is the doings of the retailers. Pre-orders are put up then retailers order a number of figures from the manufacturer based on those pre-orders. With FT they can ignore that to some extent, but most retailers will not to an huge level. Of course most customers don't pre-order which lowers how many the retailers order in the end. As unlikely as it seems that it will actually happen to them what FT absolutely wants to avoid is ending up in MakeToys' situation of way too much production that they end up sitting on and having to store. MT's figures were constantly available for years which was convenient for customers who wanted to buy later, but terrible for MT themselves.

11. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Except TFS isn't the only one calling them LE. BBTS is too, at the very least. And regardless of what the retailers do there are plenty of people on these boards who will tell you that FT's figures sell out and you can't drag your feet, because FT's stuff does for the most part, no fearmongering required.

I could see getting worked up if they were using "limited edition" to justify some kind of markup, but the preorder prices for Magnum and Iceman are the same as they were for Spoiler and Goose. Not only that, but they look like the same prices ShowZ was charging for Spoiler and Goose.

12. toonbot

toonbot Well-Known Member

Exciting time for fantoys, never seen this many painted figures ready for the production line. A dream come true if they're able to release a figure each month.

13. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

I think it's a change in strategy on FansToys side.

In the past, a retailer can offer an item for a while (a few months) because if he runs out, he can order from FansToys again. This is because FansToys makes a large quantity, say 5,000. (I pull this number out of my ass.)

Now, FansToys makes just 2,000 (a made-up number) and there is only enough for everyone one-time. They then move on to the next product -- they want to clear their backlog. The retailer can't order anymore cos FansToys doesn't have any more.

This leads to the hilarious situation on TaoBao that some sellers are sold out while others are swimming in stock. Why don't the sold-out sellers order again? There is only one answer -- they can't.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Considering how small these production runs probably are (some apparently top out at only 1000 units), they could probably indeed be considered "limited".

They may also be trying to tap into the phenomenon of "Fear Of Missing Out" (FOMO) to sell their allotted stock.

15. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or they're just tired of customers bitching at them when they can't get the product after release.

I see it as maybe just fair warning for customers. "Order now because we don't want to hear you complain in 6 months."

• Like Like x 1
  16. Razzadazza

Razzadazza Well-Known Member

It was my impression, (info provided directly from a retailer) that the FT combiners were not ordered separately. The retailer chose how many they wanted and would then be guaranteed that many of each bot. That’s why I was offered Spoiler via email from the retailer I purchased my Roadking

17. Jwwu

Jwwu Well-Known Member

Good callout.

Limited Edition in the FT context is for those items which FT has said there won't be reissues. They have stayed true to their word on not reissuing e.g. the X Dinos.

18. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Isn’t ft30 an aerialbot? Why would they make 1-2 of them limited as opposed to the rest of the set? Aside from being dicks?

19. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Never heard of such a thing and it wouldn't make sense to do it that way because each bot comes out so far apart the market can change in the meantime, not to mention the growth in customers between the time the first bot was released and when the last one arrives. FT might choose to produce an equal number of each member of the team, but retailers are free to order whatever quantity they deem best up to whatever maximum FT allows. And with FT because their products sell so well, that is often the limiting factor.

20. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

That's the thing -- FansToys decides how many a retailer can order. And they have tied it to previous orders on at least two occasions: FT-29T (quota based on FT-29) and FT-31C (only as many as Road King).

I don't think they do this for Western retailers, just smaller TaoBao sellers. I base this purely on how some sellers word their listing. They won't sell you Spoiler if you have not bought Road King from them.