Not feeling a lot of the new stuff...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Polenicus, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Maybe I'm just getting old.

However, a lot of the new stuff Hasbro is coming out with just isn't grabbing me like previous lines had.

To be fair, my tastes tend to run to the Classics aesthetic. For example: I LOVED some of the stuff put out by Generations. Kup, Blurr, Straxus, Wreck Gar... I ate all that stuff up. There were a few 'meh' figures in the line, but for the most part it was brilliant stuff that stole the spotlight back from the 3rd party companies for a while, especially given we were getting these thoughtful, characterful sculpts for less than $20 apiece.

Then the latest movie line came out, and... Well... meh. Cyberverse is awesome stuff, of course, and even though it's not my thing, I know it scratches that old Micromaster itch, and I hope it continues to stay strong. But the mechtech gimmick... I understand there always needs to be a gimmick, but the weapons were oversized, blocky... and most of the time don't even lock between modes. Doesn't help that one mode usually doesn't look like ANYTHING.

Then Prime, and... well, again, the aesthetic doesn't grab me, but the First Editions were very promising. Then my local distribution decided that we didn't need anything but deluxe Bumblebees and cyberverse, and so I lost interest.

Now, finally I'm seeing some of the GDOs and FOC Combaticons and... They still aren't interesting me. While at the same time I'm frantically pre-ordering Fansproject Warbots and 3P Jumpstarters and whatnot.

Is anyone else not finding much on the shelves to interest them from Hasbro lately? It's not all Hasbro, the local stores seem to be incredibly reluctant to stock anything other than Cyberverse, even with the Christmas rush. Even the Prime deluxe toys completely passed us by (We never even saw RiD Arcee). When the Masterpiece toys came, we got maybe a case of each per store. They didn't even bother with shelf tags.

My interest seems to be getting crushed under a mixture of really atrocious local distribution and a lot of aesthetics and design choices that really seem kinda clumsy or wasteful.

Anyone else in this boat? I don't mean to hate... a lot of the Prime designs seem really cool. But it's hard to be interested in them enough to import the Japanese versions, which seems to be the only way I'd get them.

2. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in the boat that doesn't think we need another one of these threads...again.

3. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    New year, we need a new thread to complain about Hasbro! :) 

I think the lack of paint apps, rising costs, odd distribution/case assortments, etc all are good reasons to not like the new stuff. The Beast Hunter thing coming down the pipe just isn't my cup of tea either, but I'm sure a lot of people will like it.

In a way it just saves my $ to be spent on 3rd party stuff. I support/buy official products whenever possible.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    one word: Masterpiece lol anything below that by has/tak lately hasn't been doing it for me

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    "Hey guys, am I the only one that...

6. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    everyone has their time and reason, and i agree

7. PrymeStriker

PrymeStriker Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm fine with most of the stuff Hasbro and Takara put out. Quality doesn't bother me, 'nor does the price (although I will agree both are dropping and rising respectively). My only complaint is the decline in decent paint apps.

8. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

Prime example of people being asses for no reason. People just can't be nice.

As for the OP....I am quite discussed by the Beast Hunters line. The just look absolutely terrible.

9. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

Not sure why I just had multiple posts.

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I don't like current stuff, then I just take to the Junkion for older ones or save some money. Problem solved. :D 

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm with ya man.

12. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not real thrilled by Hasbro's idea to make the relaunched Generations line into ALL FoC stuff myself. The GDO stuff and Ultimate Gift Set were the only "Classics" released this year (other than Club stuff) and it all seemed to come from Hasbro Asia (not really sure where UGS originated though), was all exclusives of some sort and all repaint/remolds. Seriously, Hasbro, bring back some Classics to mass retail in 2013. Otherwise, I aint gonna be buying many of your offerings anytime soon.

+-MWG-+

13. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

I was feeling that way most of the year but it seems that Hasbro has stepped up its game of late. Particularly, I feel that the mostly mediocre Prime releases have taken a backseat to to some top notch stuff in form of MP Thundercracker and Prime, FOC Soundwave, Blaster, and Grimlock, who are fantastic, plus the FE rerelease. Even the new wave of FOC deluxes has gimmicky weapons that are actually fun, and Starscream is a terrific little figure. So things are looking up a bit from where I sit.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    As long as TakaraTomy keeps up with their plans for MPs, I couldn't care less what Hasbro does now.

15. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I went to TRU. I held FE Bulkhead. I did not buy him. I just can't do this anymore.

edit...I just saw the add on from Dream Works....Back on the horse again.

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And this right here is exactly where I am. Domestic releases suck lately with everything from tfp to generations... It's kind of sad to me actually.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea I like some of the Fall of Cybertron stuff, but it's just not as exciting as it was getting new Generations figures that managed to work in that G1 look.

While there are one or two Transformers Prime deluxe toys I really like such as Ratchet there are just so many deluxe and larger figures that feel like a past. It seems like the Cyberverse line has been the highlight of Transformers Prime for me.

Throw in the price increase that makes me more reluctant to buy and the hobby just doesn't have the fun and excitement of just a few years ago.

18. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Same here. Along with some re-issues. Even whatever repaint FunPub throws at us I will probably pass.

I'm only waiting to see if any news from the various toy fairs will change anything.

19. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    Things would interest me more if I could actually find what I wanted. I've still never seen Dreadwing in-stores, and I bought him off eBay.
    Remember when you could go to stores and find something new half the time? Now it's Bumblebee, Bumblebee, Bumblebee, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper and Bumblebee.
    I wonder how many months will go by before I find FOC Starscream.

20. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

Glad I aint the only one who feels this way! The only line that has my full attention is the Masterpiece line. Everything else is "ehhh"