Not Appreciating Titans Return

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by smf2045, Oct 18, 2016.

1. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    I am not a fan of the idea or implementation of Headmasters. So the current line, excepting the Legends class, has far less appeal for me than Combiner Wars (which was my favorite), Thrilling 30, or Fall of Cybertron, or the regular Generations/ Classics line.

There are two reasons for this. The first is that I find the very idea that a big, heavily armored and armed mechanical being would share it's head with a smaller, weaker creature, whether it was carbon-based or mechanical to be ridiculous. This is because in a war, one headshot, while difficult, would kill both creatures. So it's a liability from a tactical standpoint.

The second, and this more closely relates to the toys, is that if you lose the Head- or Titanmaster, you have a headless, incomplete figure that only looks okay in one form (its alt-mode). By contrast, with Combiner Wars, you could ignore the "combiner" aspect of the figure if you really wanted to and just enjoy your figure as a stand-alone toy. With Titans Return, you have to detach the head if you want to convert the figure. Granted, you always have a place to put the figure the head converts into, but if that little figure breaks or gets lost, you are up the creek. That said, it was smart of Hasbro and TakTomy to sell separate spare heads.

Headmasters are what caused me to lose interest in Transformers when I was a teenager (that, and other competing interests) and I sold my collection. It wasn't until RID'01 that I got back into collecting.

Lest you think that I am talking out of my posterior without evidence, I do own the following Titans Return figures, ranked in order that I like them from best to worst, IMHO:

1. Leader Blaster:This guy is fun with his three modes, and I almost don't have to remove the Titanmaster at all to hide his head. This is only my second Blaster figure, so he was always a must buy.

2. Legends Rumble: This is my first figure of Rumble, ever. I'm glad he has an alt mode other than his tablet mode, and actually has arms that convert into something like piledrivers. Of course, the other thing that I like is that he doesn't need a Titanmaster to function properly.

3. Legends Rewind: Not my first Rewind, but everything that I said about Rumble applies to this guy, excpet the piledrivers.

4. Legends Laserbeak: This guy has better colors and stickers than Buzzsaw, and Buzzsaw was a decent, cheap toy. The spiky skateboard is weird, but the tablet mode looks good and the bird mode is okay enough. (updated)

5. Deluxe Scourge: Scourge shouldn't have to be a Titanmaster. That said, this figure is pretty decent and much easier to convert than my Generations Scourge, and still has two weapons and some interesting stuff that you can do with the Titanmaster besides putting it in the cockpit in vehicle mode.

6. Deluxe Skullsmasher (Skullcruncher to me): Once I put clear nail polish on his hips to tighen up those joints, this is a decent figure that is a nice change of pace with his alligator beast mode. The rubbery cockpit cover and the fact that I had to polish his hip joints just to get him to stand keep this figure from rating any higher.

7. Legends Stripes: Glad I don't need a Titanmaster for this, but the cat and jet modes aren't very convincing. The cat mode in particular has too many gaps. Not looking forward to this as Ravage, but I'll probably get it anyway for completeness' sake for Soundwave.

8. Voyager Galvatron: Sigh. This is the best Classics-Generations Galvatron that we've gotten, but the Titanmaster gimmick ruins the robot mode, since the head and helmet won't turn and don't stay aligned. The gun should have been mounted on the side of his upper arm to impair posing less, but I can kinda live with it. I'm glad that we finally got a Galvatron in Voyager size, but this thing has too many flaws to be truly great. Such a missed opportunity. Oh, well.

Yeah, I miss Combiner Wars.

On the other hand, I know folks have been wanting new Headmaster figures ever since Generations Voyager Brainstorm (which I have) and before. I'm glad the folks that wanted new style Headmasters have got the toys they were asking for. Sadly, I don't think this line is really for me.

I plan to pick up Laserbeak, Soundwave, Fort Max with the sword if/when I can afford it, and maybe a few others, mostly Decepticons. However, I can't get into Titans Return anywhere near as much as previous Generations lines.

What is it that people like about the whole Headmaster/ Titans Return thing? I would like to hear specific things that folks like about the line and the figures, but also if anyone else shares my complaints about their drawbacks. What do you all thnk?

Thanks for reading my rant. I needed to get that off of my chest. :) 

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

Well, at least you tried a few toys before passing judgement.

I mean, as far as how "ignorable" the gimmick is, it only adds a little parts forming where the head is concerned. You can ignore the fiction if you like.(or go your own way. I could totally see an argument for Japanese style "the head is the real character" and the body is non-sapient.)

As far as "but it's useless if you lose the head!" I agree that this would be a concern if you gave these toys to kids. You'd definitely want to make sure they're ten or older and prepared to take care of there toys. Where as a standard Transformer could skew just a bit younger. But for us adult collectors, We really should be prepared to take care of our toys and not lose parts or accessories. I've started individually bagging all my toys myself.

And frankly, Combiner wars burned me out pretty fast. At it's core, it was 3 voyagers (with an "exotic" fourth coming in much later), and deluxes it was 2 jets, a helicopter, two cars, a truck and an armored vehicle, with the occasional exotic mold of an f1 car, a tank and a motorcycle. It just so blatantly became the same handful of toys over and over again it really soured me on the whole line and I bailed after wave 4.

• Like Like x 2
  3. lucas maximus

lucas maximus Need more Kain...

I'm torn on the line, but still buying plenty. I like headmasters, but hate that they are forcing the gimmick on traditionally non-headmaster characters that could have otherwise been a little better. Once better versions of those characters come along (if ever) then they'll get replaced very quickly. I wish they'd branch out to the headmaster juniors instead of forcing the gimmick on other characters, but most likely they won't.
    I look at headmasters how the Japanese series presented it: they're lifeless bodies controlled by smaller beings. It puts the smaller guys on the same playing field as the average bot. Sure having the life of the bot hinge on the character being the head is a little risky, but any bot can be killed by a destroyed spark chamber as well.
    I couldn't get into combiner wars much due to what was stated by the member above as well as forcing the gimmick on bots who were never combiner members. I bought Takara superion, alpha bravo, offroad, and Victorion and I think that was it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they are going way overboard with how far they are pushing the headmaster gimmick in this line. The legends size demonstrates how it should've been handled for most figures in the line, they can interact with the head/"titan"master gimmicks, but are not completely bound to it. A figure like Galvatron was hurt by it, and looking at the chest cavity that holds his mask, it seems like it is big enough to hold a full head, so the gimmick was forced in later. There is also the issue of them not seeming to want to give characters like Nightbeat or Fangry proper updates in a line where they would fit perfectly, but they have no problem changing over random characters to become headmasters. Or the way they "favor" the headmaster gimmick and completely screwed over targetmasters and powermasters when those probably could've been given a similar level of interactivity with their partners. There are some good things coming in the line, but it is simply going way too far in a lot of instances for me.

+-MWG-+

• Like Like x 2
  5. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not everyone likes everything...........no use crying over spilled milk. if you don't like it then something you do like will come along soon enough I'm sure.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    You're saying that this fictional war between giant robot-like aliens across the galaxy is unrealistic?

And you just contradicted yourself.

• Like Like x 6
  7. cjranck01

cjranck01 Member

I bought into Combiner Wars initially, then after forcing characters into repeat molds (anything not original combiners, and ones that CHUG had already done), I said the heck with it and quit altogether, and due to lack of space, I still focused on G1 and Masterpiece. However, curiosity got the best of me and I started to buy the Titans Returns figs that are actually Headmasters (Chromedome, Hardhead, etc.) and they are great. Looking at getting Ft. Max, Blaster, Soundwave, and maybe PM Prime. Can't bring myself to buy HM Blurr or Scourage. Wish they would have made some Targetmasters, that would have been cool. All in all, at least the Headmasters have got me back into the "Retail Game". Probably not for long, but they are pretty good in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I loved Combiner Wars, didn't care if they reused mold after mold and made non-combiners into combiners...

Titans Return, it made me love Headmasters after the disappointment that was Voyager Brainstorm. But I have two complaints... I do NOT like the Titan Master size class, they should be original characters not guys like Grimlock & Apeface that deserve full bodies which leads to my second, I don't like the idea of swapping heads. Like I know its not forced but come on! Swapping the heads just ruin the figure!

As it is though, I love the characters they're making in most of the size classes. Helping me clean out missing spots in my CHUG collection... Also I love transforming guys like Blurr cause I find it fun removing their heads and putting them in seats in vehicle mode.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Strange Little Man

I agree that Combiner Wars is awesome (I keep tearing through my Classics/Universe/Generations Decepticons shelf so I can play with Bruticus), but I am enjoying the heck out of Titans Return. I'm on the fence about the whole Headmaster/Titanmaster gimmick (from a diplomatic standpoint, I guess it would make sense that people like the humans and the Nebulons would want to have some way to control or limit the gigantic Transformers stomping on their cities), but I find it's well integrated into this line, at least with the two figures I have (Scourge and Blurr). I like being able to put them in their cockpits, and I love that I can sit Fracas inside Scourge's gun, as a homage to his being a Targetmaster. I guess it's down to personal preference in the end, and I admire that you explained the line as being "not for you", rather than simply dismissing it as bad because you don't like it. I have great respect for people who admit that even if something isn't to their tastes, it could still appeal to someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    It is the great benefit of choice. Personally I think the updated headmasters are great and am focusing on those. I already have a Classic-verse Blurr and Scourge so I find no need to pick up their TR versions (although Scourge does look great).

I did the same thing with Combiner Wars. I bought the original G1 combiner teams (and somehow got sucked into Grand Galvatron and am happy I did) but I have no interest in an Optimus Prime Combiner or any of the other random characters. Sky Lynx will spend most of his time as a Flying Robot Space Dragon thing or a Space Shuttle and very little time as a torso (although he does make a surprisingly decent torso).

Just because a line releases a variety of characters doesn't mean everyone has to buy them or, heck, even like them. It goes back to the whole "buy what you like and let everyone else do the same."

To circle back around here: Too bad the line is not for the OP, but not everyone will like the same things and at least he has tried a few of the figures and formed his own opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  11. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

Benefit of choice is the perfect way to put it.
    I also had a Classic-verse Blurr, and I prefered him over the TR/Headmaster version. I had no Scourge however, I did have the mold though, in the form of Senator Ratbat, but like the TR version more than enough to grab this one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Combiner wars was epic and titan returns is alot better. You cray cray cause all this shit is fanfuckingtastic

• Like Like x 1
  13. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    You will be missing a ton of wonderfully made toys just because of your 'dislike'. Such a damn shame, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you prefer it as such, some figures are un-Headmasterable with a small-to-medium amount of modding (Blurr and presumably others that share the body plan) and Powermaster Optimus can transform without taking the head out at all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

It's not my favorite gimmick, but they've been putting out some decent figures. A few suffer from the gimmick, but the majority looks pretty good. I think my biggest complaint about this line is the lack of paint, they look like test shots.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I love the Headmasters and love it they are bringing back the characters with the original gimmick.
    I'm not to happy the targetmasters and other characters are getting the gimmick forced into their toys, but as has been said we can expect the gimmick for pw three to be universal or nigh universal too.
    The problems with the toyline have more to do with designflaws and badly cast molds than with the gimmick.
    Galvatron is a perfect example of that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. smf2045

News Credits:
    I don't think I contradict myself when subjectively talking about alien, shape shifting robots when I think that having their heads change into littler robots is a bridge too far. It's not about being realistic, it's just my subjective believability not working for this line. I just think the Head/Titanmaster gimmick is lame, and can ruin what would otherwise be a cool figure.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  18. smf2045

News Credits:
    Yes...tell me more? I can transform Blaster without taking his head off, but Scourge, Skullsmasher, and sadly, Galvatron don't offer that option.
    I've read about very permanent mods to Galvatron to fix his head, but I'm not willing nor confident enough in my customization skills to jump that chasm.

Some pics of my stuff. They look good enough with other, non-Titanmaster TFs, but I kinda dread having to take their heads off when I want to change them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  19. motorthing

motorthing Carry on you Wayward Son

News Credits:
    Not everyone has to like everything. You gave it a try, bought some toys, maybe the next Line reset will engage you more.

I'm loving it personally.

• Like Like x 3
  20. cybeast

cybeast Well-Known Member

My head canon (ha!) is always that it's a small sized bot (like minicons) wearing big armor/suit to get advantage/get on even level with bigger bot.

• Like Like x 1