Not a 3PC Lull, But...

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by twelvesam, Apr 22, 2014.

1. twelvesam

twelvesam Animated Jumpstarter

Ebay:
    Does it seem like some 3PCs are taking a bit of a breather on their successful lines? We haven't heard a thing recently about the next Not-tlebot. And how about the next in the Function(x) line? It almost felt like we were getting into a comfortable zone on these and others, when everything unceremoniously stopped.

I am making this new thread so as not to excite those that are following the others when there is nothing new to report.

2. Toonimator

Toonimator Well-Known Member

FP's been busy getting Diesel, Revolver, Riftshot, and Recoiler out. That was a lot to move just in the first quarter of this year… TW just rolled out Bii. I'm more interested in progress on Bomber Megs & IDW Magnus than the next Nottlebot, but agree it'd be nice to hear more from them (hell, even more Headmasters if they're gonna keep going with that)

3. Gauntlet101010

Gauntlet101010 Well-Known Member

I haven't even got everything I want yet. I welcome a bit of a slowdown.

4. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Definitely awaiting news on the Fx line, but the way FP is, one or more of them could drop out of nowhere tomorrow or it could be another 6 months.

5. mooncake623

mooncake623 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    definitely a slow down for classics. I find myself with nothing to buy besides the rest of the MMC's Predaking.

No slow down for 3Ps MP though.

6. twelvesam

Ebay:
    You're totally right. It just seems that FP is so much better than other 3PCs at handling volume (and breadth). And I do understand TW's urgency to get Bii out. But now what?

7. RMStunticon

RMStunticon Dan Kuroto Fan

I'd really like MMC to continue the Knight Morpher line.

8. Toonimator

Toonimator Well-Known Member

This is true, too :) 

9. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    It's not lack of forthcoming items, but it does *seem* to be back to a point where a lot of release dates are less than certain.

Scoria is *probably* in the next several weeks, Talon will almost definitely make the release date... after that, the next Warbortron components seem less certain, Maketoys Nemesis was MEANT to be this month... then Quantron is......errrm eventually, and so on.

TW Throttlebots.....That project's been stop start well over a year.

Meh, maybe all of the above is actually just business as usual.

10. drgatz

drgatz Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ... Or more photos/color shots of Fansproject's Mindwipe? A pre-order would be even better!

11. twelvesam

Ebay:
    ...not to mention an official announcement of the next Nottlebot. Was it meant to be Goldbug? I am majorly confused by the shadow-graph thing TW released.

12. victoryconvoy

victoryconvoy Well-Known Member

toyworld has been pissing me off with the throttle bots being delayed as long as they have and i would like to see there bomber megatron and magnus also

13. tfwmongrel

tfwmongrel Plastic Crack Addict

The "lull" for me is how long each new member of Feral Rex is taking! Not-Bruticus is impressive, but I think Computron has to be the next "must-have" for me.

14. ferrari35

ferrari35 Well-Known Member

I really think some third partys are starting to struggle.
    Not heard from head robots in a very long time and I gear seem to have abandoned their minibots line and thats just two off the top of my head.

The market is very much different today than when it was 4 or 5 years ago(3RD party stuff has been around longer but back in the day it was mostly after market kits) many more 3RD partys out there too squeezing to market share plus higher priced items means a lot of fans cant afford all thats on offer so go after the stuff they really want.

On top of all that the 3rd partys are really coming along leaps and bounds design wise forcing the smaller groups to spend more time on their designs this will push up their costs and take longer to produce their product.

I think we will see more 3rd party groups go quite(or even disappear)in this year and the next

15. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you are right. Its great that there is so many options from different companies but you are talking about a niche market that is getting saturated with figures. With more of them being MP sized recently, prices are going up and people simply cant afford all that is available. Id love the new iGear seekers for instance but there's no way I can swing them in my budget for this year.

16. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

The number of third party releases and companies is bound to shrink once the bubble finally bursts.

Seriously, the market for third party transformers is a niche within a niche. Only a portion of adult TF collectors purchase them and that's pretty much the entire market. It's not like these appeal much to the broader mecha collectors - they're clearly TFs.

The prices alone limit how accessible these items are. Add up all of the new/major releases.

Feral Rex ~450
    I Gear Seekers ~ 600
    TFC Predaking ~500
    Computron - likely ~400
    Scoria, MP Snarl, MP Swoop ~600
    Remaining MAIN headmasters (Highbrow, Mindwipe, Skullcruncher) ~240
    Warbotron ~500
    Micromaster Onslaught ~120
    Prometheus ~500
    Based on Caselus, I'm guessing for FoC Snarl, Sludge, Slag ~300
    FP Metroplex ~ 300
    And I'm probably forgetting a ton - especially smaller / single releases.

Not everyone will purchase every item, but even when you eliminate doubled up homages and went with the cheaper alternatives - the majority of that list still hits OVER $2000. If you hit the higher end ones instead - it goes MUCH higher.

Nevermind that third party items compete with other high profile / expensive collectors items. Like the $500 many spend at Botcon or the $150 or whatever of the subscription service. Nevermind the MP stuff Takara is putting out.

I know i'm feeling the pinch in a way I haven't before. I'm getting a lot pickier about what third party stuff I buy. I may wind up completely skipping Computron, which is something NEVER thought I'd say.

17. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Agreed. Cost is the reason why I waited to get Uranos, until they were all released, and I could save on shipping. I've bought the upgrades to Hoist, Trailbreaker, and Blitzwing, but haven't bought any other third party stuff recently. I would really like to get Caelus, though. This said, just the other day, I did plunk down a fair amount of money over at Reprolabels.

For my part, I don't need huge MP figures. I don't have the space, and they drive up costs.

18. Zavien

Zavien Veteran

News Credits:
    Agre with this. When I first started a couple yrs ago I would by every new figure that came out. Now I just simply can't keep up. Between combiners and major release like dinobots, I have to be picky. I wanted MT computron and metro but not gonna happen. I want dinos more and even that will be a feat on its own. I am feeling it for sure.

19. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

I for one am wanting those MMC Fembots, but I don't expect to see those surface until Feral Rex is completed.

20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Personally I'd just like to see a few projects finished...Ideally

Throttlebots Freeway and Wideload and Headmaster Highbrow from Toyworld...

Midwipe has been shown so I'd like confirmation on Skullcruncher, Minerva / Nightbeat and maybe the rest of the mini Headmasters from FP