Nosferatu (Remake)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hazekiah, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Robert Eggers, director of The Witch, has confirmed that the next movie he will write and direct will be a remake of Nosferatu. I love the original film, of course (not to mention Merhige's Shadow of the Vampire and Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre), and The Witch is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE movies, so it's hard for me to imagine a more perfect pairing. OMG I CANNOT WAIT.

I am absolutely DYING to see his take on the original, this is AMAZING news.

100% EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE.

\m/

• Like Like x 1
  2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I wish him the best of luck. He's going to have a job on his hands remaking a classic.

The Witch Director Confirms Nosferatu Remake as Next Film
    According to Eggers, his first attempt to remake the tale was a stage version. “When I was 17, I directed the senior play [of] ‘Nosferatu,'” he said. “It was very expressionist. It was much more expressionist than the film is. It was ‘Cabinet of Dr. Caligari’ style.”

The director also disclosed that “‘Nosferatu’ has a very close, magical connection for me. Though if I were to make the movie 17-year-old Rob was going to make of ‘Nosferatu’ it would have been something between like ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ and ‘Sin City,’ whereas this is going to be the same approach as ‘The Witch,’ where [the setting of] 1830s Biedermeier Baltic Germany needs to be articulated in a way that seems real.”

I would have liked to see something expressionistic, but I think we'll be getting something less stylish and more frightening.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

No need

4. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

This is not necessary.

5. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Unnecessary. Sigh. But, eh, what the hell, let's give it a shot I guess.

It's going to be hard for a modern audience to watch it without thinking of Spongebob. Maybe we'll get a wink to it?

6. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

This is something that I am a bit wary about. Nosferatu is THE original vampire film. Mr. Eggers will definitely be chipping away at a mountain with a spoon here. I wish him all the luck, however.

7. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Nosferatu the vampyre was good enough.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I do not envy the production crew for this one. All manner of shit is gonna get hung on this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I mean, the shit is ALREADY being hung upon it. "No need." "Not necessary." "Unnecessary." "I am a bit wary." "Nosferatu the Vamprye was good enough." All that spewed in before we even reached THIS, the tenth post, lol.

And frankly, that's pretty sad.

Especially considering that the cinematic source material of Nosferatu is ITSELF a rip-off of Dracula. Not to mention the COUNTLESS Nosferatu/Dracula/knock-off movies that have happened since the original(s). Clearly, there is MUCH hay to be made in this field and I would NEVER presume to begrudge a filmmaker as demonstrably brilliant as that of The Witch the opportunity to remake a classic of horror which he's been PARTICULARLY passionate about since CHILDHOOD, ffs.

This guy is a GENIUS and he can ONLY do good things with this property. Eggers has ALL the talent, passion, technology, support, momentum, and budget necessary available to him after the WILD success of his first film to not only JUSTIFY the idea of this remake but to likewise bring it to FULL fruition. Saying he shouldn't make HIS film is like saying Murnau, Herzog, and Merhige shouldn't have made THEIR films.

Which would be a sad world, indeed.

And I wouldn't expect a reference to Spongebob in this movie, whatever the hell that's all about.

10. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    The Witch was the best horror film to come out this century so far, and that was in no small part to the atmosphere Eggers captured within the film. Nosferatu will lend itself well to his strengths.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I hope he flickers the light in the movie.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i'd say; oh no! another remake!

but, after witch; i'll give this a try.

ps; how can a film, that has just come out this year, be your among your "all time favorite" movies?

that implies that the film has defied time, and is still great, even after all these years. like decades.

13. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Haha...okay. Pretty random!

But it will be a period piece set in the 1800s so I think the closest you'll get is a flickering candle, lol.

Glad to see a few of you are understanding the potential for a MASSIVELY awesome movie here!

But, no...what I was actually saying was that out of ALL the films I've EVER seen The Witch ranks EASILY amongst my very favorites. I've already RedBoxed it like 15 times and can't WAIT to own the DVD/BD soon. Even the RedBox version has some pretty cool and interesting bonus feature stuff, btw! I'd highly recommend checking it out if you liked the movie.

14. Driskull98

Driskull98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Witch was overrated. Not a big fan of that, but I'm having a little hope for Nosferatu here.

Hope it keeps the German expressionist feel to it, also praying they don't change Orlock's design too much.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Witch was good. but it was not that good. it was a one and done for me. seeing it 15 times, sounds a little bit of a waste of day, considering that is almost 24 hours. i am not exactly sure what one would get out of it, seeing it 15 times.

i am giving Nosferatu, a chance, because I liked Witch, but i didn't like it that much. lol

16. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan The Sept of Kaon

News Credits:
    I'm going to go away and watch the witch, and come back later.

17. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Well, I didn't say I RedBoxed it 15 times IN ONE DAY, lol.

Honestly, I RedBoxed A LOT of movies this past summer. I was visiting a pal in the middle of NOWHERE in rural, upstate NY for most of it and literally the only thing I could get to was a liquor store next to a RedBox about 5 miles away, so I did a lot of biking, drinking, and RedBoxing of movies. At a certain point, several weeks in a row, I'd pretty much watched all the new shit I wanted to see and just felt like renting The Witch again instead of wasting time on the stuff I'd already ignored because I knew it was no good.

And, being an aspiring filmmaker myself, I reallllly enjoy re-watching my favorite movies to analyze what they did right/wrong, well/poorly, etc. So rewatching movies I already know relatively well is kind of a poor man's film school for me, if you will.

And, as others have noted, even if you didn't care much for the premise/dialogue/etc., the whole movie was positively STEEPED in atmosphere and authenticity. That alone is worth a few repeated viewings, just to FULLY take it all in and appreciate it.

But, beyond that, there's some pretty clever symbolism and well-executed craftsmanship taking place on extremely subtle levels, too.

To wit:

I think maybe my favorite part was the symbolism inherent in its final message at the end of the movie.

[Non-Sexual Content Yet Spoilerific and Mature Themes Follow]

Remember how her family was scared of their eldest daughter's burgeoning womanhood and wanted to sell her off because she'd just had her first period before losing their baby and how she later smeared herself in her mother's blood before pledging herself to a coven of witches and even the Devil himself? Not to mention how the Salem Witch Trials, etc. are largely viewed by modern society as an *ahem* scapegoating of girls for a prudish society's attitudes towards independent and/or "troublesome" women and a general fear of their "seductive powers" as they became so?

Yeah...

[​IMG]

"Period sources," lolomfg.

XD

18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  19. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Doug Jones is Count Orlok.

[​IMG]