Noob Asks...Do you think the Studio Series Line is worth buying into?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Stealthrock12, May 15, 2018.

1. Stealthrock12

Stealthrock12 Aspiring Collector

As Ive said in my previous posts i'm a long time fan but relatively new Transformers collector, I am also quite new to buying figures second hand so I usually just buy products available at shelves. So I kinda accepted the fact that I could never get figures from old lines.

That being said I'm a huge fan of the Transformers Film Decepticon designs, but looking back at the Film Series Toyline the figures provided before aren't quite as screen accurate as I'd like so it didn't really spark any interests till the Studio Series figures were shown.

1. They showed figures from Wave 2 but how many waves are there all in all? I kinda wish I can buy other famous decepticons that were underused in the film such as Shockwave and Soundwave. Do you think they'll add more. Cause if it just spans a few figures Im satisfied with just buying Blackout, Megs, Starscream and Optimus and display them in the Forest Fight "I'll take you all on" scene in TF2.

2. Do you guys think the Studio Series Line is all that good? Or are there any other lines I should be aware of that has a more accurate representation of the characters?

3. I'm from the Philippines, and here I bought the voyager figures for about $44 dollars each. Currently thinking of buying the deluxe Bee priced at $25 and the Leader Blackout at $66 do you think were being ripped off here?

2. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    1. Wave 3 will consist of 4 deluxes, one being DOTM Ratchet, and a voyager Ironhide. Wave 4 will have ROTF Starscream, and listings have been found for another voyager Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher. If they make Barricade then you’ll have all the movie Cons in one line.

2. The Studio Series figures the best and most accurate representations of those movie characters, barring the official Masterpiece Movie line with has a much higher budget(and pricetag.)

3. I can’t say any voyager figure is worth $45. Do you think you could order them from somewhere else in the world and have them shipped to you for cheaper? I’ve heard of people doing that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    1. We don't know how many waves there'll be, but Hasbro seems to want this to span multiple years. Safe to say a lot of the big names will receive representation. I mean they gave Stinger of all "characters" a new mould.

2. I have all of wave one, even Thundercracker, and it's the most fun I've had with a TF mainline since, not kidding, TFA. The dedication to character accuracy and scale and the awesome amount of Decepticons is something we don't usually see. Even the worst figures are honestly some of the best the characters have had.

3. That's totally up to you. FWIW, Deluxes are $30 in Canada and leaders are $70, so you're at least doing better than us in that regard. I'd like to say the figures are great regardless of price, but obviously everyone has their limit, and going completionist will be expensive. I'm fine with that, but you may want to stick to the larger characters to feel like you're getting the most value, or wait for inevitable sales. Personally speaking, I bought them all (though admittedly some with gift cards) at just below retail and don't feel ripped off.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Speaking just for me, I'm enjoying it. So far I like the Voyagers and Leaders a lot better than the deluxes (which is the opposite of how I usually react to a line). Optimus and Starscream are both standouts in the last couple years of figures for me.

Might be a movie line thing with me and voyagers... thought TLK Megatron and Scorn were especially strong too.

5. Stealthrock12

Yeah well i guess it's to late for wave 1 since i already bought both of them for $44 each. I'm happy with the mold and the scale, but paying almost $70 for a leader class figure ; little voice in my head just says it's a bit too much, but I'll think I'll buy it regardless. For the deluxes I think I'll wait for it in clearance.

Regarding accuracy people say ROTF was the Golden Age of movie figures are they better? I personally haven't seen one before.

So youre saying that they do other versions of a character first before making unique new ones?

6. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hell yes! I have all of wave 1 except Ratchet; Thundercracker on my shelf too.

7. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I think they are great...and I don't even like most of the movie toys. As far as the prices go, it doesn't matter so much what we think, as long as you feel they are worth the prices in your area. All in all, $66 isn't all that much more than the $50 we pay for the leaders over here in the U.S....especially when you consider how much time and gas we typically blow tracking them down. Do what makes you happy.

8. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Fellow pinoy collector here. I have all of wave 1 sans leaders and I love them, I can't wait for Wave 2 to show up in our neck of the woods because I'm buying all four toys.
    The price is a hard pill to swallow but I grew up with the movies, I never had any of the toys, so I'm taking the chance now with this new line to complete the lineup and have toys of the characters that I loved during my childhood.

9. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire ...

News Credits:
    Buy what you like. I don't give a shit about Bayverse, I got Grimlock & I'm going to get Megatron. But I wouldn't want chickenbugscream if you paid me to take it.

10. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

No, but that's just me. Plenty of people love the studio line. Buy one and see how you like it ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stealthrock12

Me too, even though I'm not a huge Bayformer fan, I had to admit some of the designs are cool and unique and that makes me want to have a shelf where I have all movie figures with approximately the same level of detail from the same line displayed.
    Its nice to compare how drastic the design changes were for some of the characters compared to the original G1 designs. I'm a completionist but I still can't urge myself to buy Studio Series Ratchet.

12. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Ratchet is the first deluxe I got from the line, since I have nostalgic attachment to the character. He's great as long as you do the roof mod.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that roof “mod” turns a meh figure into one of, if not the best ratchet figure we’ve gotten.

The figure I’ve liked the least from wave 1 is probably bumblebee.. but even then, it’s not terrible and it’s a much better figure than the last knight version.

14. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

It is pretty common to find higher prices in other countries. Almost everybody here is going to tell you that is a lot of money, because they can find lower prices in US.

I can tell you that considering current Transformers, they are pretty good. I bought Grimlock, Blackout and Optimus. I'm really happy with all of them. Really impressed about the paint scheme of Grimlock. The evolution of the Grimlock design is amazing. Wasn't sure about Optimus but in hand looks pretty good.

Just look for the better price in your country and good to know you can find them there. There are countries in which there is no such thing as an official distribution and people import toys from other countries.

15. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Nope, but your mileage will vary. I don't care for movie toys.

16. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

I have exactly the same lineup, and I think this line is great! They aren't without their quirks, but well worth it if you can swing it!

17. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Depends if the characters resonate with you. The Blackout figure looks great, but he was in the movie for 1 minute so I have no attachment to him.

If you love the characters then go for it. Some of the look really good. I'll be getting the Voyager Meg's because I love that design.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  18. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I'd say they're worth it. Bumblebee seems to use the same design scheme of the excellent Last Knight figure, and I've heard nothing but nice things about the Leaders. The two Deluxes I have (Ratchet and Crowbar) are fun to play aearou with and look good on a shelf, and I just can't put down Optimus Prime or Starscream.

19. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Is the Studio Series worth buying? The way I see it, it's good if you

1. Missed out on the toys 10 years ago and want great representations of most of the characters (there's a couple subpar ones in there, like Bee, but overall, I've heard mostly good things).
    2. Didn't miss out but are okay with double-dipping on characters because these are mostly improvements over prior releases.

Personally, I can't stand Bayverse designs maybe sans Optimus Prime. So, I'm not buying any of these as these aren't exactly cheap and will just be content with the movieverse figures I've bought in the past. Or, if I do buy something new, I'll just drop the extra cash and buy the Masterpiece version instead and consider it the definitive version.

20. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    need TC for some reason!!