Non Paying Bidders (eBay Woes)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ionus, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

I have had a rash of non paying bidders on eBay lately. Anyone else come accross this?

It's frustrating to no end. Because of the way eBay works now you cannot give negative feedback to buyers, which sucks. It used to be a great filter for the type that bid, win and don't pay as well as providing at least some action against them.

The thing is, I would not get so frustrated by it if the persons who do it would just communicate to me that they made a mistake and can't pay. Just that ounce of communication would go a long way. I could then give a second chance offer or just relist it. But, the persons who do it NEVER say a word which forces you to just wait for a decision from eBay. F$cking sucks, especially if you are counting on that money.

Ebay is far from what it used to be....

2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    This is why EBay is bullshit for a lot of things.

People want to judge EBay prices as the cost for Transformers. It clearly is not.

Not sure if you were selling Transformers or not, but as a buyer, if I have let's say MP Grimlock, and I don't want his price to go down. I just bid up existing auctions and artificially inflate the price. Then never pay for it.

That's why EBay as any pricing vehicle is ridiculous to me.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Oh look, another ebay complaint thread. Don't see those too fucking often.

Offer the win to the next highest bidder if there is one. And I'm pretty sure you can set immediate payment required for all auctions as to not give people time to change their minds.

Suck though, I know. However, I just won auction (though I paid for it immediately) and not ten minutes my automatic search for that item reported a better deal. First time that I was ever tempted to ask a seller to refund and cancel the transaction. I didn't though, but was sorely tempted.

But yeah

I love the ridiculous amounts that people set their BINs for, even when final auction prices clearly show what people are willing to spend on items.

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

You can say that again... and again.. and again. I had one item that was won by 2 bidders and neither paid. Took me over a month to finish with the resolution and relist. Now an item that just won by another guy with 0 feedback (a common thing among the nonpayers) is again not getting paid. WTF? I am so frustrated right now.

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'll say this though, I always see sellers boo-hooing, and most of the times, rightfully so. However, as someone that is primarily a buyer, I'm sick to fucking death of sellers making that extra little bit on so-called combined shipping.

Example,

I just bought three comics on ebay for $20 before shipping. Shipping for each book individually is $3.95, so for all three before combined shipping it was $11.85. I asked the guy for an invoice, and my combined shipping total was $8.15. Two messly extra books and the shipping is nearly doubled. That's some fucking bullshit right there, especially when his auction states that each extra books is only twenty-five cents extra towards shipping. Now I gotta look like a cheap asshole and question him about the shipping rates. Bullshit like that makes me want to be one of those non-paying buyers.

6. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's freaking nuts.

What I love is the opposite. When people go crazy trying to outbid each other over an item that they surpass a BIN price. But then again, you don't know if they pay it.

My favorite is how I snipped up a misb TFC Hot Rod for $35, while people were fighting over an opened one that sold for $70.

7. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Will say it again the worst is the guys who put best offer then won't take anything than like a dollar less than their buy it now.

I have had 2 lately since 1999 I guess it's not that bad, one guy claimed his kid bid on it I told him he's responsible for what his kid does on the internet he paid.

It's not my job to monitor his kid on the internet.

8. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    OP: I had been getting a lot of non-paying bidders, so there are a couple things I do:
    --State in the auction you'll file non-paying dispute as soon as possible(2-4 days) and close it as soon as possible(another 4 days), unless you do have some communication from them. At least that minimizes your wait time with non-communicators.

--But I think what's really cut down on non-paying bidders for me is using some of ebay's seller options. Any non-paying bidders I of course add to my blocked bidder list but also you can set your options to not let anyone with a feedback rating below "X" to not be able to bid and can set it so that some with with "Y" number of non-paid bid strikes in the last "Z" months cannot bid. Certainly possible you'll lose out on some bids from people so maybe your final price won't be as high, but it seriously eliminates non-paying bidders.

So give him a bad rating on shipping cost.

I used to set an "estimated shipping price" and then after I sent the item I would refund the buyer any amount over the extra cost so they paid exactly the shipping cost, or sometimes my estimate would be under and they'd pay less.

I thought it seemed like a great system. Until buyers started giving me bad ratings for charging too much for shipping.... when they never paid one cent more than the actual cost. :peoples: 

I've never been on the seller side of a BIN auction yet, but I'm thinking about it, because, yep alot of BINs are higher priced than what they go for in a normal auction. But you know what? There are a lot of higher-priced BINs that do sell at that higher price. If there's someone out there that wants the convenience and speed of BIN instead of a regular auction, sometimes they'll pay a premium for that.

9. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the system has improved considerably since the early days of ebay, when non payers were more common, One way to reduce or eliminate this problem is clicking on the immediate pymt option. You can set up your non-paying fee request process on automatic when the buyer doesn't pay within say 3 days, that will get their attention.

10. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    As far as the Automatic Unpaid assistant, It automatically files a case after 4 days if you have it turned on. If you turn it off, or don't set it up, you can manually file after 3+ days- had to do that last week, the buyer finally payed.

Question though - I bought an item off Ebay on Saturday June 7th as a BIN/BO which was accepted. The seller had stated shipped out within 2 days and USPS Priority mail was service. I had emailed the seller as well to let him know said item was a birthday gift and was time sensitive. I just found out seller just mailed out item, and mailed it package services, meaning I'm looking at getting it late next week, when the eta on delivery was NLT than tomorrow, with Saturday being a buffer day. Since this is showing up next week, and I need it for Sunday, what should I do? Is this a case of the seller lying?

11. Lord Of Fairies

Lord Of Fairies Well-Known Member

Ebay:

+1

12. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

I didn't know about that. Thanks! Definately going to set that up.

Yeah, that's horse shit. I like the dick-heads who have a low buy-it-now price and then you click on it and shipping is like $40.00. lol, how dumb do they think we are?

I am pretty lenient as long as someone asks. I will usually let them back out when requested. Communication is key though.

13. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here. I wouldn't be selling things if I didn't desperately need the money, so it's incredibly stressful letting Joe Schmo decide if you're paying your internet bill on time or not.