NO NEW COMICS AFTER THIS WEEK

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Issy543, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    DIAMOND COMICS DISTRIBUTORS Ceases Receiving Products for Distribution Due to Coronavirus

Diamond Comic Distributors has asked printers to stop sending new comic books and other products for distribution, as according to ComicBook.com.

ComicBook states they have confirmed that Diamond warehouses will no longer accept incoming product for distribution to Direct Market retailers in the wake of economic slowdown across the country due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, which has included both the permanent and indefinite shuttering of some comic book stores around the country.

Some retailers have called for a moratorium or slowdown of new product shipping during the crisis. Monday, March 23 marks final order cutoff for April 15 releases - with some predicting a drop of seven figures from Diamond's previous orders.

Distribution/shipments to stores will continue through Wednesday, April 1, according to a source at Diamond.

Diamond will reportedly continue distributing existing product from its warehouses. ComicBook does not report a scheduled end to this policy.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
  3. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Wow, well, everything I said earlier about Covid-19 not denting the comic industry too badly back when this topic started is way off. I take back everything I said. Some stores are probably not going to reopen from this.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    But what about digital releases though?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Diamond has no control over those.

• Like Like x 3
  6. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

I mean... The comic industry was doing really bad. This is pretty much the logical conclusion.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not a real surprise. Shops in several states are closed. Many have already made plans to stay closed for good or to only deal in online sales only. The CCP virus is just the last straw for many shops that just cannot make a living selling new comics. The only ones who will survive are the ones who only offer new comics as a side business to another product.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Issy543

News Credits:
    IDW Adds Delay, Returnability, Plans For Direct Market To Bounce Back

A Letter to Our Comic Industry Partners from Chris Ryall, IDW's President, Publisher, and Chief Creative Officer | IDW Publishing

From Chris Ryall:

Last week, we sent out a statement to the comics community in which we pledged our support for the Direct Market during the current health and economic crisis. We've been keeping a very close eye on the public discussions taking place in forums and on social media, and the sentiment from retailers is abundantly clear:

It's time to take action.

In light of Diamond's statement today, our immediate steps to offer relief for our retail partners are:

For the next three months, IDW will be offering 60-day no-fee returnable terms for all items on Final Order Cutoff (FOC) corresponding to the weekly on-sale dates from March 18th to June 24th.

IDW is announcing the suspension of May releases corresponding to OSD dates from May 6th to May 27th.

IDW will reduce its overall publishing line for products originally scheduled through July, with a focus on releasing our biggest projects in special editions to help drive traffic to stores through the summer.

With these measures, our hope is that we can lessen the immediate financial risk that retailers face for IDW products, and give retailers a much-needed break for their monthly budgets.

These are first steps. As the situation continues to unfold, we're certain to initiate additional programs to help our retail partners. It'll take insight from and coordination with shop owners, Diamond, and our publishing peers to shape a comprehensive strategy for the industry to move forward.

As a special note to our Creative Partners:

We know that you're likewise feeling the pain of the current circumstances. Trimming our line through the summer in support of the Direct Market retailers will undoubtedly impact creative workflow for the short term. We fully appreciate the difficulty that this presents to freelancers. It's our expectation that — in the long term — the Direct Market will bounce back as a result of these steps, and we can all continue the good work of making quality comics on the other side. Our Editorial team has been reaching out to creators and licensors with these latest updates, and we're here to help in any way we can: answering your questions, listening to your ideas, etc.

The IDW team is committed to working with retailers and creators to get through the coming weeks and months. As I mentioned in our previous statement, we're here to listen and help. We invite you to contact us directly (ryall@idwpublishing.com, rosalind@idwpublishing.com, dirk@idwpublishing.com) and we'll field your questions as best as we can.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2020
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Issy543

News Credits:
    Leading Comics Retailer Explains Diamond News, Warns Against Digital-Only Switch

With Monday's announcement that Diamond Comics Distributors would stop receiving new product from printers for distribution, Newsarama went to well-known comic book retailer Joe Field to find out what this means for the industry.

Field, the California retailer who came up with the idea for Free Comic Book Day, explained that new printed comic books will stop arriving to stores next week, but he emphasized that the comic book market can survive — if publishers, creators and readers work together and avoid the temptation to switch to digital only.

“What we know for sure is that the distribution stops as of next week’s shipment,” Field said.

What that means, Field explained, is that readers will not get new printed comic books, starting with the books scheduled for release on April 1. The retailer admitted that most comic book stores will probably close temporarily, but some — like his Flying Colors Comics in Concord, Calif. — may still be open for readers to acquire reading material during the coronavirus crisis.

“I believe there are still going to be shops, and we might be one of them on an incredibly limited basis, that still have some kind of a curbside service for what we have in stock,” Field said. In fact, his shop is already shut down except Wednesday and Saturday during limited hours, when curbside service is offered.

“And believe me, I got plenty of comics! I can take care of people with comics until this whole thing moves through,” he said. “Are they the new comics that everybody wants every Wednesday? No. But you know what? There’s a lot of stuff they haven’t read yet that we still have that they’ll probably enjoy.”

Field added that a few stores — including his own — have had trouble securing reliable information about Diamond’s delivery of this week’s books as well. In Field’s case, his shipment was impacted by a freight company shutting down, although he’s hoping his store’s books left Diamond via another freight company last week.

“Anyone who was still operating is probably going to get this week’s books, but they just might not get them in as timely a fashion,” Field said.

Field believes the direct comic book market can survive this setback, but only if publishers, readers, retailers and creators pull together. And he disagrees with some of his friends in the comic book creative community who are calling for continued release of new product to digital only.

“I think everyone in this business is scrambling for whatever dollars they can find right now because we don’t know how long we’re going to go without getting any new dollars in. So there is desperation in the market,” Field said. “But I don’t think that desperation should lead to changing the market in such a way that comic book publishers would leave their best sales force on the sideline, permanently.”

Field said he’s heard rumors that publishers are considering a continuation of production by just going 100 percent digital for now — something he does not want to happen. “Or they’re maybe going to offer retailers digital codes that we would sell that would be good for getting print books when this thing is finally settled,” Field said.

“Both of those options are completely unacceptable,” he said. “They would have very difficult ramifications for many, many comic shops.”

Field is hoping publishers will simply stop producing new content, and that the Direct Market will survive with the support of readers, publishers and creators during this difficult time.

“I know that many of my customers right now are bonafide angels. They have no interest in digital. They have interest, fully, in continuing to buy from me when I can sell to them,” he said. “And for that loyalty, I’m really deeply grateful.

“I think for many people who read comics, it’s not just about the comics — it’s about where they buy them and the community they belong to,” he said. “That’s something that they’re not going to get any place else. Publishers really need to be aware of that, and any solution that includes an exclusive digital thing is not going to be workable.”

Newsarama reached out to leading digital distributor - the Amazon-owned and operated comiXology to try to gauge their position as to whether publishers should pause releasing new comic books digitally while Diamond pauses physical distribution. A spokesperson replied for the time being, "comiXology plans to release comics this Wednesday at the usual time."

We will continue to pursue a dialogue with them about their position regarding future weeks and months.

Field said he believes in the resilience of comics as a medium, of comic shops as the primary purveyors of comics to the masses, and he believes in comic retailers’ ability to adapt.

“I’ll tell you a quick story from one of the architects of comics, the late great Will Eisner,” Field said. “He would come to retailer meeting at the San Diego Comic-Con to take the pulse of the market and give us a pep talk.

“He said that about once every three years since he got into comics in the mid 1930s that he would be told, ‘You better get out of comics. They're dying and won't be here much longer,’” Field said. “He told that story as late as the early 2000s, so he was told that comics were dead probably 20 different times.

“Yet, at the time of his passing, he was still creating!” Field said. “That's inspiration for me. I believe we can make it through this too.”

• Like Like x 1
  10. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Oh man, and I was looking forward to Tf vs Terminator... :( 

• Like Like x 6
  11. Issy543

News Credits:
    Hopefully, once the pandemic has been controlled, and the situation has been resolved, the wait will be well worth it!

Until then, all we can do is stay home, and be safe.

12. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    We’re still getting the first issue(comes out this week), but now we’re going to have to wait a good three months till the next one.

13. Issy543

News Credits:
    Huh. I didn't even remember issue #1 coming out this week. Thanks for the reminder!

14. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Wow, the war between Physical and Digital just amped up a couple levels.

• Like Like x 2
  15. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid "See see Seacons!"

News Credits:
    My heart goes out to the comic shops that were depending on these. I understand the need to do this, but that doesn't lessen the blow by any means.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What about the MLP crossover? Is that still coming out as planned?

17. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

To bad that won’t fix the problem of people not wanting to buy comics regardless of format :p 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    A part of me doubts that now. It will still come out, just at a later date...

19. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    :rolleyes:  smh

That’s all you care about(it’s all you post about in this part of the forum), the comic book industry going under all together, at least some of us still try to find stuff to enjoy.

• Like Like x 8
  20. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not for the moment as that series was due May, but eventually it will

I'm happy to read that message from Ryall, as while it makes sense to suspend comic releases (I was thinking this week's trip might be my last for a good while already) I was worried how this would affect my local and other small businesses, which is most comic shops. Every single one in my country. Hopefully other publishers and really the government can give them some further relief.

• Like Like x 1