No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Nerroth, Dec 8, 2013.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Nope. I want to like this game, but it doesn't seem to be worth 60 dollars.

2. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Thousands of planets all open world with there own characteristics and lifeforms, open world solar systems, space stations, and unscripted game play that lets you play how you want that can go on for hundreds of hours instead of the scripted 5 or 6 hour gameplay most games going for $60 sually come in at seems worth the price to me. I haven't even left my starting solar system yet that has 6 planets in it. I just landed on number 6 a few hours ago and so far have spent roughly 4 hours or so on each planet exploring. Everyone has different tastes though, this game cant be for everybody.

3. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Except for... you know.. The dev lying claiming it would be multiplayer and stuff.

4. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    As far as I can see - It's just a glorified tech demo/proof of concept. Sean seems to have missed the point that procedural content is just a tool to help enable gameplay, not something that should be the entire gameplay.

The price that they're asking for the PC version alone is just mind boggling. There are billions of worlds in the game - but what's there to do? Marvel at the different combinations of pre-build animal and plant life parts? Be amazed at the different selections from a pre-baked colour palette used for the scenery and life?

Having seen the press pack that was made for the game, the opening paragraphs are almost an admission that "yeah, this isn't really a game and a lot of people aren't going to like it". Coupled with a review embargo and review keys being held until launch, I think it was pretty obvious that there was going to be mixed reaction rather than the "universal critical acclaim" that they had experienced at GDC and E3.

But with that said, everybody at Hello Games should be applauded for trying to do something different and putting so much effort into making their vision. They've tried to use a specific technology to make a massive game with a very small team (albeit all made up of industry veterans) that competes with the large AAA+ "pre canned" experiences. So I can only tip my hat to them for having done this - even if it does somewhat end up being a "what do I do now?" sort of experience.

5. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Ehh.. It's just like Spore.

Which is exactly what I was worried about.

6. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    So far, I've put about 12 or 13 hours in. I'm having a ball. I've been doing a lot of hyperdriving, and getting myself further. I got thr atlas pass, which helps a lot, especially at every space station. With an atlas pass at each of the space stations, you can get an exo suit upgrade to add a spot to inventory. The price goes up by 10k every time, but it does help to get a bunch of extra inventory space. I have been figuring out how I want to set up ship stuff.

Oh, hint. At space stations, the npc ships that land in there, each have their own stuff to sell, and will buy from you, as well as selling their own ships.

As far as the whole multiplayer thing, for now, I am ok with it. I don't want to be minding my own business and some dick comes along and kills me.

7. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

People... there are many ways of Multiplayer besides PvP you know....

8. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Exactly... If I want pvp, I can play GTA or Rust(or any other survival game that royally screws ya when you die).

9. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    I kinda have to agree with ByteBack, put about 10 hours into this game, and it feels like an overglorified tech demo.

To me, it feels more like a sci-fi version of Minecraft, except that there's even less stuff to do. Mine resources, fight off enemy ships in space (and die a few times like I did because the shields for your starship are utter shit), run around a planet just to learn words of alien languages and HOPE TO GOD you find an upgrade for your spacesuit or your multi-tool that has more space for more upgrades, or hell, find a new ship that can hold more. You're going to run out of space FAST in your inventory. And if you can't find anything on one planet, take off and find a different one.

Had I been in charge, the only thing I would have changed would be so that the planet you spawn on is the only thing YOU explore. Have other planets you find be the planets of other players (thus the idea of having the game feel more like an MMO like it was promised), not just some randomly-generated, Spore-level, half-baked planet that might as well have the same attributes as the planet you were just on. I understand that exploration's the whole point, but if this is what the whole game is, then to quote Gob Bluth from Arrested Development: "I've made a huge mistake."

10. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    I'm enjoying the game. It's Minecraft's spelunking and crafting in a space setting. I could lose myself in Minecraft while on a spelunking expedition, and this seems to be a similarly enjoyable time sink. I would not recommend this game to anyone who isn't already into survival style crafting games.

That said, what really has me excited about No Man's Sky is the game's potential. I was late into the Minecraft world, but even looking back at when I jumped in vs. what is in the game now, there's a HUGE difference. If this game has regular updates, this could become something really incredible. I'm taking it the game doesn't have alien homeworlds with giant cities. That's the type of stuff of which I want to see the game go.

Random things/observations/questions:

- The game is VERY pretty. However, graphically, the procedural generation is NOT perfect. There are moments when you will see land structures generate before your eyes whether dropping through the atmosphere or flying over the landscape. After it's generated, everything is pretty seemless. I wonder if this is something that could be tweaked.

- I'm glad the game has an auto-naming system in place. I never was really excited by the prospect of naming everything I came across. Actually, the names the generator comes up with are pretty good.

- I'll probably only ever bother with naming systems and planets/moons. I found a planet that was covered in gold deposits, but when I flew back to the space station, I couldn't remember which planet it was of the scientific sounding ones the game defaulted them with.

- I wish there were a behind the vehicle view. (or am I missing it?)

- I wish the game would let you fly as close to the ground as you would like. I really don't like the crash prevention, kind of kills the immersion.

- I like how the game subtly guides you through your first few hours of play. It's not in your face, and seems to provide the right prompts at the right times.

- Just about every crashed ship I found had LESS slots than my default ship! UGH! And those "cool" spaceships in the station are always outrageously priced it seems.

- Has anyone come across a planet with rings ala Saturn yet?

- My current spaceship looks like a cardboard tube.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Sounds repetitive and boring. No longer wanting this game. Pretty planets over and over with no civilizations or anything major to find would get boring really fast.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  12. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like it when games have huge open worlds to explore and stuff to collect on the side, but when the entire game is just that..... yeah, IDK. I've watched a few streams and in each on of them, their game has crashed 1 or 2 times during my viewing. I've seen some drop in frames and a ton of bad texture/environment pop-ins. Do you even have an avatar? During my views, when the camera pans out after interacting with an object, you don't even see where your character was.

It is, and still was, a $30-40 game in my book.

... none of those offer space combat or exploring/mining worlds with friends.

You're basically telling someone who want's PVP/MP in Fallout 4 to go play Street Fighter V.

13. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    this game is alright so far im still not a 100% on it, lucky for me i got mine at eb games so i can return it if i dont like it

14. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    From what I've played so far, it's a very leisurely game. I had watched a bunch of streams from people who had obtained the game before the street date, and it is pretty much what I expected. I understand the argument that this does not feel like a full price game. I think it is, at the moment, but my thought process there also is that my purchase of this now will go on to fund Minecraft style updates because I see the potential. So we'll see. I might feel differently about that a year from now if there are no substantial updates. Right now if you feel on the fence, wait for the discount/sale.

The game is something of a cypher, and I never expected it to be multiplayer like people were hoping. The dev interviews were always highly cryptic on that angle. I suspect at best that it'll be Dark Souls-while-hollow-ish, ie: You'll see/know that someone else was there, but never really personally interact with them.

You know what's really weird though? Rebel Galaxy is one of the free PSN game's of the month. You'd think the window for that would have been a couple of months ago to promote interest in No Man's Sky.

15. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

To me this is the type of game I play when I get home from college and finish my homework, and I have an hour to kill before one of my shows comes on. I don't think I could ever play this game Uncharted 4 or Witcher 3 style where I set aside a whole day just to play it. It's fun in short bursts when you don't want to get too involved with something.

16. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Finally got done exploring my starting solar system and just jumped to a new one. Got jumped by two pirate ships not long after as I was entering a planets atmosphere, pretty nice blowing them out of the sky watching them crash to the surface. Anywho my starting solar system had no planets with water this one has a couple so should be good checking out the fish.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I think pvp in a game like this should be an event of some sort. Instead of making matches, or randomly running into people, have battles take place between the factions over various planets. Have players who's factions are involved in the battle get an alert. People who don't want to do pvp can just turn alerts off.

It should be something that doesn't happen every day. Maybe a couple times a week tops.

18. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    That doesn't sound at all like what I said. Take GTA, running/driving around, some asshole shoots you while on a joyride or flies by in a Jet comes by and blows your ass to kingdom come. Or, flying around minding your own business and another asshole comes around and blows ur ass out of the sky. It may not be space when it comes to the flying part, but it is the same concept as flying and getting attacked by another player because he can.

And Rust, you run around on planet and mine resources to craft your house, some asshole comes by with a flamethrower while you only have a axe and toasts you. Again, same concept of mining, you take an axe or a pick to cut down trees/destroy rocks for resources.

Saying my comparison was what you refered to, is an overdone perspective of what I said. Clearly, the above references make sense to my statement about PVP in exploring circumstances. Have to look at it more than 2 dimensionally. So, my comparison was a very realistic example, granted it wasn't "IN SPACE"

My point was, I have played plenty of MMOs/games where I am minding my own business, and someone just feels the need to kill me. I used to play Star Wars MMO back in the day, and if you weren't careful, some areas you go into, automatically allow PVP, but it was an area meant to explore.

19. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    To be fair, they did have to start from scratch after that flood destroyed their offices and work. If it hadn't been for Microsoft and Sony stepping in they would never have been able to restart work.

I don't care for the multiplayer, never even heard that it was going to be a thing, for me it was always about the exploration and procedural aspect.

But I do think it would be cool if there were civilisations to interact with, or remnants of long dead ones.

20. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    If they allow players to be able to interact with each other, great. But, they best have a option to be able to avoid Douchey McDoucheface from his soul purpose of ruining fun for other players.