No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Nerroth, Dec 8, 2013.

1. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

haven't played in a while maybe i'll fire it up

2. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Been playing a bit last night and a bit this morning before work.

Far more “craft” esqu- having to craft materials from materials to make things (but I love stuff like that).
    Way more variety in materials on planets too, seem to have gotten a complete overhaul.

3rd person made has honestly made the game so much easier for me to play. Only first person game I’ve ever really enjoyed is Overwatch (and stuff from Bethesda), the 3rd person space ship camera is also way better because I can actually see points of interest all over the place now.

Base building is fairly intuitive and fun, there’s still a few annoying aspects (find salvaged parts underground. On a planet sized world... ok). But I’m sure that’s just me being overwhelmed.

From my brief time with the last version of the game to this the graphics are night and day, such a big improvement. The animals seem to roam around together in packs and there’s more than one or two different kinds on each planet, even then some of them have variation. They also look a ton better and act less buggy and janky. Don’t think the animals interact with each other, but there was a herd of big slow four legged ones surrounded by small mantis looking ones so it appears to give a sense of a food chain or something, if that makes sense? Be amazing if they did attack each other but for now that’s a minor thing.

Not been there yet but apparently you’re given a friegther for completing a defend mission in space, can’t wait. The game has gone from a bit of a slog to a completely addictive survival experience.

3. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    Haven’t played in so long. And honestly im so disappointed. What the game is now is what i was hoping for when it first came out. I was soookio excited for this game and i got so bored of it very soon. Now it seems way better but idk if i want to put in the time now.

4. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Question - do you need PS+ to play this?

5. NSJ23

okay a lot of my tech is out of date....this is like a whole new game. I may have to put some time into this, was fun customizing my character.

6. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Nope

• Like Like x 1
  7. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

What's the group mechanic like? Can you actually build a team to bring with you or is it just similar to online multiplayer?

8. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Haven’t done it yet but I think there’s can be 16 people in a game at one time but you’re in a group of 4 who can build together etc. YouTube it!

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I came back a little bit before the Next update just to get a feel for the old NMS so I can compare and hooboy, yeah, its like an all-new game. I've sunk a good chunk of hours the last couple nights with a friend and we've been having a good time building bases and mining and crafting [and i'm not even one who's really into those types of games, but its kinda sunk its hooks in me]

graphically, yeah, its a lot more detailed. the clouds are really cool! they're like, physically there now and you can fly through them and they cast shadows on the surface. the terrain is a lot more varied and detailed [actual "mountains" and valleys and stuff, which is quite cool!] I still see some weird looking animals but what you said about them travelling in packs and stuff is definitely there and I appreciate that. Managed to get myself a freighter, too, which was crazy! Didnt realize all you now have to do is do a defend mission and they'll just give you one and I was taken by surprise by that xD But its cool! You can send out your frigates on missions out into the galaxy to gather resources/bring in cash.

But yeah! I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Like I said, i'm not usually huge into mining/crafting type games but having the ability to team up with your friends and do this together and build and accomplish missions together makes it. Its got a lot more depth now and I'd definitely encourage people to give it a try again if it ever intrigued you

• Like Like x 2
  10. NSJ23

went to start a defend the freighter mission, my character was warped into space and i died. i got a message saying not to try anything crazy like that when i respawned lol

11. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    So is the main mission still to get to the center of the galaxy and requires you having all those atlas stones?

12. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Had a defend the freighter mission and after completing it the captain of the ship handed me over command. Got a free frieghter! :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  13. NSJ23

that happened to but i jumped to a new area where the freighter just happened to be attacked and he handed it over after i saved him, i called the space cops on a pirate and they helped take them out that was fun.

14. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

it's now part of the storyline, will happen once you get to a new system

15. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    So, apparently I haven't played in 16 months... I figured with all the new updates I would be happy to bounce back in...wrong! I am very displeased that now I have to craft even more stuff to make things like warp cells, ammo, etc. Needless to say, they have made it horribly more complicated to do most of the stuff I used to do. Also, it wants me to relocate my base to start the thing...where? All the systems I WANT to stay in and set up base on, won't let me. A couple systems I have been to that I didn't want to settle in, pops up saying that it found a suitable location. If I wanna live on a radiated planet and such, I would have chose there, but no...I go an try to settle on a nice resource planet with much more livable conditions, won't let me. I tried to play for 2 hours to get used to the game all over with, for not. Now, I have a headache.

16. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Wtf, so now the system im in all the planets are undiscovered... i was farming this planet that had a ton of gold and making bank of it , does that mean it wont even have gold any more?

17. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Probably, Universe was reset. Gold comes in meteorites now mostly.
    Best way I’ve found to farm units is using navigation data to find ruins and then dig for archeology, got lucky on my second one and got 14 mil units from one item.

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Digging the update, but had to start a new game since all my tech was outdated and I was lost in how to use the new tech tree.

It's definitely more time consuming now just to do basic things like keep yourself stocked with ship fuel and run scans. It's also buggy as hell. When I get a mission from someone it just shows me the filename of the mission (something like SPACE_FIND_SYS_RN) instead of the NPC explaining what the actual mission is, and sometimes it autocompletes on the spot. It still needs some major fixes.

Space stations are actually populated now and make sense, the archeology is fun and profitable, overall I like the changes.

19. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

I was gonna say, probably not the best to continue an old save file, but start a new game. It'll be much more enjoyable finding all the new stuff.

20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Walmart has this for $10 today. Got me a copy, looking forward to giving this a chance.