No love for Beast Wars?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Trypticon 2010, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    By "didn't make any real waves," you mean "kept the brand afloat for 7 years after G2 almost killed it, and has managed to win the fan's choice vote for the first 2 Halls of Fame in a row"

2. Ultramax Primus

Ultramax Primus Well-Known Member

I love Beast Wars, I think it's an awesome addition to the transformers mythology. I loved how the series ending up connected to G1. Also IMO Beast Wars gave us the most menacing and cunning version of Megatron ever seen. I wish Megatron was this evil in the Michael Bay movies instead of being reduced to a lacky of the Fallen instead of the ultimate mastermind Megatron is known for being.

Optimus Primal, Dinobot, Ratrap, Cheetor and Rhinox are my favourite characters from the maximals.

In the Predacons, Megatron, Waspinator , Tarantulas and Blackarachnia.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It's safe to say that you're utterly wrong in every possible way.
    :lolol  Is this a joke? PLEASE tell me you're trolling. I refer to Abrogate's post for reasons why you're completely incorrect.
    If they are blinkered enough to not recognise anything past G1, yes.

4. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Wow, are we on the same internet? :wink:  I see Beast Wars getting lots of love from the fandom; it's always named as one of the better pieces of TF fiction. And a BW character has won the fan's choice vote two years in a row, beating big G1 faves like Soundwave and Grimlock. Don't let haters get you down, they're just louder than most people.

I have to admit that I disliked BW when it was airing on TV way back then, because the beast modes were too different and I found the CG ugly. But I've warmed up to the show over the years. The writing and voice acting are excellent, and it deserves major props for resurrecting the franchise and paving the way for the current fiction.

Agreed. That's probably why organic-looking beast modes have never been revisited on any significant scale in the franchise. The newness of the beast forms helped BW to be a hit at the time, but it's too different from the usual vehicle aesthetic that has defined TFs for most of their history.

5. billmoo

billmoo aka zynordar TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If no one has mentioned it already (haven't read the entire thread, forgive me!) the fact that Dinobot was voted into the Hall of Fame as the Fans' Choice (and also that this year's vote was for Waspinator), then your need to find some love from fans concerning Beast Wars should at least be partially satiated. :) 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I still prefer animal alt modes over vehicles. They're more expressive and lend for better non-robot fights than just driving around and ramming eachother.

7. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

I prefer cybernetic beast bot than organic like. Picture G1 Grimlock vs a typical (live) Tyrannosaurus rex

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Grimlock & Rattrap could've gotten along so well...

9. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Anyone here got the Shout Factory Beast Wars? I wonder how's the quality...

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    BW is my favourite Transformers cartoon, and I consider the second season to be the best televisual Transformers fiction made yet.

I recommend importing the Region 4 Madman version of Beast Wars. It has the most special features of any of the Beast Wars DVD releases (such as commentary tracks), and is also in PAL, so it should run on UK tvs fine, assuming you have a multi-region DVD player.

BUT THE FAN VOTE WAS RIGGED! BY WALKY! :p 

11. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I got it but I haven't had time to watch most of it; but I did watch Code of Hero on an HD tv, looked great to me.

12. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

Would you say the graphics have been slightly altered and are better?

13. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Beast Wars is better than G1. In fact, I think the entire Beast Era is better. Way better storytelling
    I also just bought the 15th anniversary complete series set from Shout Factory so now I have the entire Beast Era on DVD!!!!!

14. Ultramax Primus

Ultramax Primus Well-Known Member

I agree Beast Wars was great, IMO Beast Machines had potential but somewhere along the line it mess up and didn't deliver as well as Beast Wars did .

One aspect I still hate with a passion in Beast Machines is the corruption of Rhinox into Tankor and that we never saw his redemption in the series . I'm glad in the comic Universe we got to see Rhinox return and atone for his actions as Tankor. But I'd have much rather seen it in the show .

Another issue I had with Beast Machines was the unnecessary of Optimus Primal and Megatron in the series finale .

15. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's plenty of people that like BW. I have no love or hate for Beasties, but looking to turn that around once I get the series on DVD.

16. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I picked up Season 1 at Wal-Mart tonight, and am ready to give it a go. I'm pretty hardcore G1, but based on the many glowing reviews I've read here about Beastwars - I'm looking forward to seeing it.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    You're not the only one. I totally agree that BW and BM are the best overall TF cartoons out there. None of the others have come remotely close to reaching it's great writing and storytelling.

18. Shokara

Shokara Well-Known Member

I'm getting a little tired of people saying they have either of Shout! Factory's releases of Beast Wars Transformers season 1 or the complete series set but haven't watched it yet. I'm counting on thorough reviews that compare and contrast this new release with Rhino's original release and state any differences, if any. One of the things I'm trying to keep my ears open for is if Shout! Factory used the original complete season 1 opening title sequence or the same shortened version used for later syndication and Rhino's DVD release. Also, my Rhino season 3 set lacked the "deleted scene" that was advertised on the packaging. People who have them, please, watch them and allow me to find out what I wish to know.

19. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Well, I don't have the Rhino DVDs or know what the original opening looked like... so even if I had begun watching my Shout DVDs, I'd have nothing to compare them to. :p 

20. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I love Beast Wars! It's one of my favorite shows of all time. I grew up with that and most of the newer Transformers shows like Armada, Beast Machines, Prime. I didn't see G1 until last year, but I like it a lot as well.

I loved the Beast Wars action figures too. I've still got all of the ones I had as a kid and still keep a few on display in my room.