Nintendo to begin charging for some future online play

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Bendimus Prime, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    web browser was free for a loooong time. but yes, it is dumb that it costs money now.

as for the pricing of virtual console titles, the pricing has to be attractive to the companies supporting it, or they won't support it.

and adding people as a friend on ANY system requires you to contact them somehow to get a username. it's just a number instead on the wii. each game having their own friend code IS stupid though, I will not deny that.

and none of that is on topic.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I told you to look on the wall in the men's room at Applebees!

I'm really not sure how I feel about this.
    I think it could be very confusing for the average consumer to identify which games are Pay to Play.
    For instance, I can't imagine my wife buying a Wii game for my nephews and having an understanding of the online component -whether it was free, or required a fee, or existed at all.

However, I really hate it when games charge more for a service that I have already paid for like Xbox Live.
    If there was a hige amount of customer content that resided on a server somewhere else like on a level of World of Warcraft I can at least see some justification in the additional cost -although I am still unlikely to pay it.

But having to pay to run around and hack and slash in Phantasy Star Universe is just stupid. The online play in that game is no different that Call of Duty or Halo.

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I concur. There online service is crap, but excusable since it was free.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Meh. With the Wii's track record with online games and major MAJOR lag so far, maybe this will actually boost the technology so it doesn't feel like I'm playing my Wii online with a 14.4

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking of web browser. I'm doing a system recovery on my PC (damn Spywares) so I'm using the Ps3 browser. It's actually not too bad.

I really dont mind paying for service on MMORs because there is a lot of maintanence that goes into keeping those things up, espcially the robust ones like FFXI and WOW, and Hello Kitty.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'm guessing the fees are only going to be for MMORPGs and stuff like that.

and yes, the PS3 browser is really nice. a lot better than the Wii or DS browsers.

7. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Boooourns!!!!!!

8. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Great news! Finally downloadable content is coming.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

but they still got the HDD space issues...they really need to be able to attach a external.

10. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Your about the only person I've heard complaining about lag in on the Wii, unless your talking about one of the games *I want to say Medal of Honor* that used a third party server instead.

And someone tell me where they said that the Pay to Play games will require friend codes as well?

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    It could happen with a firmware update. But I'm thinking more along the lines of loading from and save to the SD cards is more of what's in mind.

12. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love my Wii, but I'm with Devz on this one. We try to play DBZ - BT3 once in a while and the lag is pretty bad and well noted. I don't think it's completely Nintendo's fault though... some fault might be on Atari and not updating how data is handled from the Japanese original.

Justa theory...

Though, it might just be game specific... we'll see with SSBB

13. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I hate the idea of paying to play. I've paid for the game already, I'm not giving you anymore of my money.
    This is why I don't have xbox live, it's a bloody ripoff! I can go to my friends house and play ANY of his PS3 games online for FREE!

MMO games are ridiculous IMO. Why would I pay for the worst type of game out there? I have not played ONE MMO game where there is any variety whatsoever. They are all so repetitive... you do the same thing over and over again from level 1 until 2,000 hours of playing later you are whatever the max level is, and then there's nothing to do anymore. Not like there was anything to do in the first place... Oh, in order to level up I have to kill 3,000 monsters the exact same way every time... FUN! *rolls eyes*