Nintendo Switch/NX Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Mar 17, 2015.

1. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bowser (kind of) responds to NSO+EP N64 emulation complaints, among other things.
    The Nintendo Switch is back on top in the US after OLED launch
    (I just love calling him Bowser, I'm sorry, I can't help it. It's too coincidental and weird to be true yet it is. :lol  )

Same, definitely getting that. They had me at PC-98, Japan, and 80s. :lol  There's a demo on Steam btw if you're interested in checking it out. It's not a "full on simulator," it's meant to be a fun, accessible game more about vibe than anything else. But that's right up my alley.

Edit to add: GTA San Andreas reportedly contains infamous Hot Coffee files - Gamepur

IF this is true, which I have yet to see independent corroboration of for the record, but IF it's true... this has to be the most un-looked after, un-cared for, low priority, farmed out "remaster" of a high profile IP I've seen in ages. Again I ask, Rockstar, what are you doing over there? Sheesh. These are legendary games that built your entire brand, they deserve better than this. This makes me even more astounded and baffled (by far) than the emulation issues on NSO.

I know the perception in recent years is that Rockstar has lost the plot and become more invested in monetizing GTA Online than anything else, but generally their single player GTA offerings still remain polished, high watermark releases for the most part. Given their deep pockets, this is just... inexplicable.

Again I say, companies have got to start treating their long term legacy IP as higher priorities and with greater attention.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

At this point, I'd much rather see the Metroid Prime Trilogy released for Switch than the GTA Trilogy.

• Like Like x 3
  3. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:

The summary:
    • For the world itself they applied UE4 physically based and emissive surfaces to the existing geometry of the games (which resulted in alignment and other issues) in combination with AI upscaled assets (which frequently resulted in typos and other inaccuracies) and a generic rain effect that's stylistically inconsistent with the originals and currently has a buggy implementation.
    • They made higher poly models for characters while attempting to maintain the artistic style of the originals, with mixed results.
    • On current gen consoles there are both performance and fidelity modes, neither of which maintain fps or frame pacing.
    • For last gen, Series S had dips below 30 fps. The PS4 Pro version running on PS5 in performance mode was the only version tested with consistent fps, but this of course makes visual and resolution sacrifices.
    • Switch averages around 648p even in docked mode, lacks many visual features the other versions have, is capped at 30 fps but drops below that frequently, and suffers from frame pacing issues on top of that.
    • Some pretty significant collision, visual, physics, stability, and other bugs.
    • They conclude that this is an UE4 port of a mobile port of some other port of a PS2 era game and that this was always destined to be prone to issues, and that it wasn't handled with enough care to account for them.
    The above has depressed me lol. In other hopefully happier news:

Also, KOTOR is getting a physical release via Limited Run on Switch:
    Star Wars: KOTOR Is Receiving A Limited Run Games Physical Release On Switch

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:

Also, the GTA Trilogy (though this news applies to the PC release) saga continues. Dataminers found not only Hot Coffee, but apparently also dev notes from Rockstar from back in the day. Some of which are hilarious, if true.
    As GTA Trilogy PC is pulled, dataminers discover it contains missing music and ‘holy grail’ dev notes | VGC

Unlicensed music officially removed from the games was also included in the files removed in the PC version before it went back up finally. That could be a headache for them if the files are accessible. But it seems like for the general audience that won't be possible.

I continue to be astounded by how this has been handled.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  5. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:
  6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Wii U is 9 years old today...

• Like Like x 4
  7. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:
    Pretty large update to Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit.
    Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit version 2.0 update now available, adds Relay Race and split-screen multiplayer - Gematsu

Loop Hero is coming to Switch Dec 9:

Yu-Gi-Oh: Rush Duel: Dawn of the Battle Royale is coming to Switch Dec 7:

And it's getting one final game. :lol 
    Wii U's Getting A New Game, And This Will Probably Be The Last

I really dug the Wii U despite its shortcomings. Just as a game platform, it had a great collection. Switch kind of crushes it of course, and I'm glad most of its major first party titles have new life on Switch. But I was never as disappointed with Wii U as most seemed to be. And I still miss being able to change my TV inputs just from the tablet controller. That was convenient as hell. :lol  Every console should have that feature in its menus somewhere IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  9. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    So, how the hell does one buy an Oled switch?

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    You conjure a demon. At this point they are super rare.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Hellbot

Hellbot Well-Known Member

I actually lucked out last week and secured a local pick up order through Best Buy. Them and Wal-Mart have been the two online retail outlets to have random stock on a nearly weekly basis. I would also call your local Target (their online inventory tracking isn't reliable) and Gamestop every now and then.

Wasn't initially interested in one but I realized at the last minute that having another Switch might be a good idea since my kids completely commandeered mine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:
    Rockstar has issued an apology for the technical state of the GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition, and announced plans for title updates on all platforms, as well as the re-listing of the non-Definitive edition versions of the games in question on PC.
    A Note from the Rockstar Games Team RE: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition - Rockstar Games

Egglia Rebirth, made by former Legend of Mana devs, coming to Switch in Japan Dec 16, other regions TBA in the future but confirmed to be coming:

DoDonPachi Resurrection is coming out on Switch Nov 25th. No trailer, publisher just dropped an announcement, and it's on the eShop page now:
    DoDonPachi Resurrection for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

Via the same arcane sorcery that empowers one to find a PS5 currently.

I am living for the Pac-Man renassaince recent years have brought us. This looks awesome. Do I already own all those games in some form? Almost all, yes. Will I buy this anyway? Yes, yes I will. :lol 

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

Avoid high traffic stores in shopping complexes unless their usual store volume can meet demand. Your Targets, Wal-Marts, and the like. Great for software, within reason of course, but not for actual systems.

Your best bet is probably a Gamestop in a low traffic area around lunch time or whenever they receive their daily shipping. I've personally seen OLEDs for sale three times at different stores since launch, most were unreserved units.

But your mileage may vary and it's getting awful close to Black Friday. Good luck!

14. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Picked up 3 Switch games during the current BF sale so far. Got THPS 1+2 for myself. Didn't know you still have to download like 90% of the game even though it has the cart.
    The other two games are Xmas presents for my nephews. Maneater and Immortals Fenyx Rising. Hopefully they'll like the BotW clone and the shark one since one like creating havoc.

Think I might pick up SMTV. It'd be the first time playing the series. I love P4G, which was my 1st Persona, game so I don't think I can go wrong with SMTV.

• Like Like x 2
  15. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:
    SMT V is awesome IMHO. Somehow simultaneously the most inviting yet still devilishly hardcore SMT to date lol. Really pleasantly surprised by it given how long we've waited for it, and how little fanfare it's released with (outside of the daily demon uploads.)

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Shoot. I just bought that too. Been waiting for it to be in the $20-ish price range. :( 

17. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Most third-party companies like Activision and Rockstar don’t want to shell out the extra cash just so they can fit the whole game on the more expensive cartridges that have more space. In those cases, I would rather download the whole game digitally if 3Ps aren’t going to play ball physically.

18. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got the game and played a bit. I did an update and started the game before the update finished. I played the first level just fine. When I checked how much was downloaded afterwards, it said 3.5gb. Idk if the game didn't download all the data, but people were saying the game needed to download 10.5gb. I rebooted the game and even checked for an update, but no additional data was required for download.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:

I see the 10.5GB number bandied about online, but that sounds like an exaggeration and I'm not sure where it originated. The full game digitally is listed as 11.8GB, though with the digital deluxe edition I've seen people say it occupies 12.2GB on their microSD or internal memory. 10.5GB would still be a lot of game left off the card in that case.

While there are 1GB and 2GB game cards, I somehow doubt they cheaped out that much, that only two twelfths of the game are physically stored on the card. 3.5GB sounds a lot more believable to me, and since there are 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB (and apparently 64GB but this is rarely done due to cost) cards, if it's on - say - an 8GB card, then 3.5GB would probably get it close enough to the 11.8GB full install for the vanilla version of the game's size to call it that.

Granted, this is just speculation. It's entirely possible there is a 10+GB download required to have all of the game's content even with the physical edition. I haven't tried it firsthand. But if it's only 3.5GB as in your experience and people online are just inflating the numbers, that wouldn't surprise me either.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  20. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:
    Patch released for GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition... on every platform except for Switch. :lol 
    Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition Title Update Notes 1.02 (PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One) - Rockstar Games Customer Support

Before we feel too left out though, it's worth noting that many of the issues addressed in said patch reportedly still remain in the latest builds regardless of what the notes claim so... again, not sure what's going on over at Rockstar or Grove Street, but hopefully things improve more at some point (and for Switch as well.)

Anywho, Switch Black Friday and holiday deals: Nintendo Holiday Gift Guide 2021 - Nintendo - Official Site

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021