Nintendo Switch/NX Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Mar 17, 2015.

1. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

F you Nintendo!

I swear I never thought I'd say it but a big Fuck you!

Where is that fucking blowhard when you need him?

2. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. Cracka J

Cracka J having an opinion is OK! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    his last rant is on amazon selling exclusive games to prime members.

but I can guarantee you he will have a video up today :lol 

4. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I swear man.

Other news don't normally piss me off but this is just infuriating.

what the fuck are they thinking?

5. Eric

Eric Dreadnought of Floof

News Credits:
    *Sigh*

Take a chill pill, guys. It's not the end of the world; Nintendo isn't doomed yet.

6. Hate-triot

Hate-triot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nintendo has been slowly pulling out of E3 for years. There Nintendo Direct videos and events have been much better platforms to showcase their games instead of rushing to meet the deadline of E3.

Don't get me wrong, still not happy with Nintendo for their lack of Metroid and... really games in general but I don't blame them for skipping the three day festivities of Bullshots and Mountain Dew guzzling known as E3.

7. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

We should expect to see the bottom completely fall out on the Wii U in the coming days, weeks, and months. (cancelled projects, plummeting values, etc.)

8. Cracka J

Cracka J having an opinion is OK! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that would actually be a nice silver lining. there's quite a few titles I missed out on and would love to see some $5 bargain blowouts from stores cleansing inventory.

how many retailers will even want to support the NX after how nintendo handled the wii u?

maybe not doomed, but perhaps suffering cardiac arrest, being rushed to the hospital, being put on life support and unsure of their future is a better analogy?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  9. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

[very worried laughter]

Y-you okay there, Nintendo?
    Please get back up.. you have to get back up.. people are staring!

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

E3 is a parody of its former self. What does it even mean anymore?
    Or if you'd rather...
    "Settle down there, Beavis."

11. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got into games because of the NES. The Super NES was one of my favorite consoles of all time.

I played the hell out of my N'64, but ended up also buying a PSX for the games that never made it over to Nintendo's platform. When Gamecube came around, I found myself playing it less often than my PS2 and Xbox.

My Wii was the least-played console that I ever owned and I never even bothered to pick up a Wii U.

That is my experience with Nintendo and it seems to mirror their standing in the game world at large. They have always made good games. They still do. But they just aren't churning out the quantity (and frankly, quality) needed to support a console by themselves. Their hardware innovations might be more game-changing with robust 3rd party support, but they haven't had that since the Gamecube. All we end up with are visually-inferior titles with barely-used gimmicks, because publishers refuse to do more than port games from the more popular systems. If they choose to do that at all.

Nintendo needs to go software-only and find a way to do it without losing their soul the way that Sega did. Or they need to merge with a large enough publisher that they can produce sufficient 1st party titles.

What we are getting from them is not enough. It's not enough for publishers and it certainly isn't enough for their fanbase.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Back when PS2 was the worst hardware on the market, third party developers still flocked to it, with the excuse that it was the most popular hardware with consumers. When the Wii was the most popular hardware with consumers, third party developers avoided it with the excuse that it wasn't the most powerful. The fact of the matter is that it no longer has much at all to do with the hardware--neither which is most popular nor which is most powerful. It's about the perceptions of the "core" AAA gamer demographic, and that core has been biased against Nintendo ever since "The Suckening" happened. Nintendo can turn a profit on their own if they have to, as long as they handle their marketing better than they did with the Wii U. A software-only Nintendo is a terrible idea, and wholly unnecessary.

13. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Shingo No-Prize

They want to stick their heads out once in a while and take a peek at what other developers have already done and then work on new games.
    This new Zelda game's hook is an open world Hyrule which you can navigate on horseback. Assassins Creed, Metal Gear Solid the Phantom Pain, Red Dead Redemption are already way ahead of them.
    On N64 they basically invented or at least made a 3D platformer of mainstream appeal in Super Mario 64, it broke new ground. On Gamecube they demoed 128 Marios and their showcase games Star Wars Rogue Leader and Pikmin realized that demo in different ways.
    Wii went with unique controls for Wii sports Resort and it was disheartening to see a trend at Nintendo where the developers won't use the systems gimmicks, there is a clear division between their hardware and software teams.
    Wii U was like them trying to merge their best selling handhelds with the latest consoles. It was staggering that they went in to compete with PS3 and Xbox 360 which were very close to being succeeded by more powerful consoles. More to the point, they blundered with Wii U and 3DS by giving their launch to third parties that tossed out ports of months old games.
    I think it might be okay if NX was on par with PS4 and Xbox One but it wouldn't be right if it was weaker and if it's launch titles were all 1080p versions of the more successful Wii U games, such as Super Mario Maker and Splatoon, at full price.

14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    That used to be a thing to joke around with and brush off as an exaggeration. But they seem so actively determined to become obscure.

15. Gaastra

News Credits:
  16. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I'm hardly the biggest fan of Nintendo, but I really liked the GameCube when I was a kid (not as much as my PlayStation, but it's pretty much the only other non-Sony console I've owned). I also enjoyed my original DS. I like Metroid and Zelda, but not much else in terms of Nintendo IPs. I've been really hard on them lately, and that's not going to change today. Delaying Zelda is a risk. They don't have any other major games even hardcore Nintendo fans get excited about for the rest of the year. The Wii-U is an absolute failure, but I still think Nintendo fans are getting screwed. The Wii-U isn't a bad console technically, but there are no games for it that people can get excited for (this is especially true of third party games). It hasn't even had a major price drop despite launching before PS4 and Xbox One. Only showing the Wii-U version of Zelda at E3 is monumentally stupid. Now we know there is a supposedly better version of the game out there, and they aren't going to address it until later in the year instead of on gaming's biggest stage. Then, I read about the Wii-U stopping production in 2018. It didn't sell well, but it's madness just to abandon it that early too when you have games made for both NX and Wii-U. I know people who only recently got one too.

17. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This narrative explaining the sad state of 3rd party support might be comforting to Nintendo fans, but it isn't grounded in reality. PS2 and Wii both being #1 in sales is a nearly meaningless fact. The Wii wasn't the PS2 of its generation. Not even close.

PS2 launched over a year ahead of Gamecube and Xbox. It didn't establish its lead with publishers and gamers when it was "the worst hardware on the market," but when it was the best and only console of its generation(excluding the moribund Dreamcast). PS2 never lost the momentum of that first year. It ended up with over 70% of the market to itself, competing against consoles with only marginal technical advantages.

The Wii only cornered about 37% of the market. That fact, combined with hardware that was a full generation behind its rivals, effectively gated them off from receiving multi-platform games. If you were a publisher, you could either go multiplat for two consoles with a combined 63% of the market, or focus on the weakest system with a poor history of 3rd party game sales. What would you do?

And what does "biased against Nintendo" even mean, other than "Nintendo isn't making games that some people want to buy?" Nintendo makes good games, but they aren't well-established among all genres. That's why you need 3rd party support.

As far as marketing goes, to whom? for what? How is this holding Nintendo back? Their 1st party games sell well among the faithful. Do you feel like people are not aware that Mario Maker exists? Or that Mario Kart 8 is a desirable game? Or is the reality that people do know those things and it just isn't enough anymore?

18. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    The PS2 has a massive technical advantage over the Gamecube. It even did better than the XBox in terms of pure processing power on the CPU. The PS2 was hampered by a lack of VRAM, but that was about the only issue - and the development tools were quite poor for a long time.

(Note: I worked on all three consoles writing render, animation, physics and collision detection code)

So here's the thing. Why should Nintendo pander to the needs of multi-platform titles? What's in it for Nintendo? Why should Nintendo attempt to fragment a part of the market that is basically a small part of the video games playing audience? Why spend all that effort to only grab a portion of a small market, where growth is pretty stagnant?

All I see are people wanting Nintendo to produce another PS4 or XBOne. But that makes no sense - why should Nintendo do that? Where is the guarantee that they'll convince people who have not long ago bought a new console, to buy another console like it?

Here's a small bit of useful background. The Xbox division has never turned a profit. Even when the 360 was at its height. It's just one big money pit for MS, and everybody I talk to, wants to do away with it. For all its success, the XBOne doesn't even have double the sales of the Wii U. I get to see the GFK data every week here at work, and in many territories, the XBOne can barely hold off the 3DS in terms of sales!

And you all think Nintendo should get itself into that market? Where there are slim pickings? That makes no sense at all.

Sure, Nintendo did make mistakes with the Wii U and to some degree the 3DS. The thinking was that the extended audience who made the Wii and DS so successful, would migrate to the newer machines. But they mishandled the whole deal - if Nintendo can re-capture that mass appeal again by doing something different - there's no need to compete with Sony and MS.

Just think - Miitomo has 10 million downloads in a month. For any mobile app, that's pretty impressive. And if even 25% of those spend five dollars per month on the app - that's a nice revenue stream. Not to mention that there are now 10 million people, many of whom who are part of the extended audience, that Nintendo can message directly to about NX with the app. And that audience can grow to even more numbers in the next 11 months.

Perhaps, and this is I guess what many of you are upset about, you guys aren't the main audience for Nintendo. Nintendo would like to have you I suppose, but for every one of you playing a PS4 or XBOne, there's an audience of 10 or 20 customers who want something different.

Anyhow...I'll just put away my Nintendo pom pom's for now.

19. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Also, notice how people mostly claim Nintendo games are to formumatic and need to change... But where is my Zero G combat in Halo? Where is my Riding dragons in Street fighter? My giant planet hopping mechs in Dragon Quest?

20. Gaastra

News Credits: