Nintendo Switch/NX Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Nintendo said they are all fake

2. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Oh I know.. But people are freaking out over touch screen cause of the patent anyways. Just wanted to show that even if it -is- touch screen related, may not be what most people think of.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    More like the Wiimote with it's limited-by-design functionality, or the Wii U tablet which costs nearly as much as the rest of the system.

Have you tried playing a traditional game with a touchscreen? You can't feel where the buttons are, and you can't multipress them either.

4. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    My fingertips feel weird if I press too much on a flat surface like my phone or tablet. So gaming on something like this is a no go. Other than it also being totally inferior to a joypad.

5. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So I've had a thought, seeing how the NX's most consistent rumours is that it's made up of a portable and a home component and looking at the photos we have of the supposed controller. What if the portable component is a smartphone type deal?

The pictures we have make it look about as large as a smartphone, it has no face buttons save for the two small and very short sticks. The first picture leak (if it actually is real and not a fake) shows virtual buttons around the sticks. Nintendo also claimed that this was not meant to replace the 3DS and that the 3DS would continue to exist alongside this device. Nintendo has also voiced their intent to enter the mobile game market.

So what if this handheld is a smartphone specialized for Nintendo's new platform. You might be able to hook up any smartphone with the right software and parts, but if you want the full advantages you get Nintendo's.

6. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Uh... actually you can multi-press buttons. Maybe not on the Wii U or 3/DS, but please don't spread false information that you can't mult-press.

And it's funny that people seem to ignore that they happily play SNES games on their phones after all, whining that their phone can play SNES games when the O3DS can't.

7. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ok the swedish keyboard thing is legit, but the "same tree" shit had me rolling :lol 

I mean it pretty much looks like any damn tree without leaves on it.

Unrelated note, actually had a dream last night that this thing was real....and I bought one....and I was enjoying it.

I woke up to a real WTF moment, cause as of right now I have 0 interest in this product if legit :lol  My subconscious is trying to tell me something....

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I had more or less the same thought.

9. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm surprised about how much hate the idea of this unit is getting, outside of its shape which doesn't seem very ergonomic to me. I'm not sure its a fake, its probably an early prototype/dev it. The Wii U dev kits looked uncomfortable as well and were much better at release.

Even if it is fake, it makes a ton of business sense to me for the direction Nintendo seems to want to go from all the rumors:
    - A single system that combines their portable, home console, and new smartphone 1st party development into one.
    - Probably about as powerful as the PS4 and XB0 in a portable.
    - Possible tactus screen and at least haptic feedback for main games, smartphone surface so it can play all the upcoming smartphone games.
    - Single system focus of all 1st party dev teams. No more "Hey, why does the 3DS have new games but the Wii U doesn't?"
    - Easy conversion of existing, popular, 3rd party smartphone games to system.
    - Roku-like base station gives Wii U like functions for new games as well as Wii U backwards compatibility (though unless the base station has a disk drive add-on, they will need to do some form of digital library conversion)
    - Lots of work with Samsung, so probably uses MicroSD cards with proprietary software storage functions so it avoids the high memory card costs that killed the Vita.

I know we all want a Nintendo machine that can do some epic Zelda in 4k at 60fps, but I don't think Nintendo as a company has any interest in doing that. It may be to their own downfall, but they want to create games like Mario Maker and Splatoon.

10. flamepanther

I think the lack of physical buttons is the main issue.

11. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    IF its real, I'd be willing to try a tactus screen before I say its bad or not if those rumors are true. There also could simply be buttons on the back like a Steam controller. The overall ergonomics is what bothers me a lot of that design, whatever it is.

12. flamepanther

Real or not, the weirdest thing about this design is that touchpad input is far better at replacing analog directional input than at replacing action buttons--and yet it does the opposite. I say this as a Steam Controller owner.

13. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
  14. Hot Shot.

News Credits:
    It slipped my mind that the d-pad on android emulators counts as the second press. But still, you can't feel what you're pressing, and I think Nintendo would just avoid multipress controls with the touchscreen for that unintended difficulty rather than abandon their newest gimmick aimed at casual smartphone players.

Smartphones don't have trigger buttons, and since the virtual d-pad counts as the second multipress, you can't press more than one button at once without binding the other to something stupid like the lock button. Mega Man X and sidescroller Metroid games can't be played as intended without some kind of wireless controller rigged in.

15. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I don't play anything on my phone.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Same. Tapping "buttons" on a screen is unreliable.

17. Dead Metal

Ebay:
    One, it's called multitouch, not multipress. Second, multitouch screens as used on smartphones, tablets and computers have a 10 simultaneous points of touch. Emulators have an overlay with all necessary buttons on the screen, including the shoulder buttons. The good ones allow you to arange the overlay the way you want.
    Touch controls make playing the game a bit harder and more challenging, but not impossible.
    I've tested it with Super Metroid, Crash Bandicoot and Super Mario World. It took some time getting used to but worked. The worst are navigation controls, whioe you always know where they are and don't have to look, the nature of the glass will let you slip off of the dpad or analog stick and move in the wrong direction.

18. Dead Metal

Ebay:
  19. Hot Shot.

News Credits:
    Well, I've never gotten multi-whatever to work beyond the pad and a single button.

Yeah, but they don't let you put the shoulders on the back of the phone. You have to press them with your thumbs, which means you can't aim diagonally up and shoot while moving in Metroid.

I have the same issue. Touchscreen phone emulation works best for RPGs.

20. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Drift Girls.

Drift Girls.

Also, did I mention to play Drift Girls?
    It makes proper use of all touch controls :p 

It's the only game I play on my cell :lol