Nintendo 3DS. What's old is NEW again!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NGW, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
  2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Boom.

[​IMG]

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't even know what that means, sorry to say.

These days I have been playing Ace Combat: (Uhh, whatever the subtitle is) with the intention of getting every plane, weapon and colour scheme it has. It's still great fun doing all the missions over and over, I think it helps massively that I like flight sims.

The only thing I wish this did was take offs and landings, maybe not everytime but Strike Commander (back in the '90s) did a cool thing where you could just press the Autopilot button to do these tasks, otherwise you could just do them yourself.

I have also bought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, despite it recieving (at best) very mediocre scores. The gameplay is pretty much the same as the original TMNT Arcade game, just mash the button so it's not exactly very deep. Having said that the presentation is pretty good with environments and voices from the TV series and I get it pretty cheap on sale.

Only thing is Leo doesn't sound 100% like Leo... not sure if it's the same actor. Which is odd, because so far EVERYONE else has their proper voice. Dogpound had better be voiced by Mr Crabs or I will be very disappoint.

4. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    3497-0415-0873

My 3DS code if anyone wants to add me.

5. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    I got

All Plaza Tickets
    All Puzzle Pieces
    All Hats
    All Mii Plaza Music
    70 Mii Plaza Accomplishments

No Life

6. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow.

7. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just (finally) ordered one last night. Should be here Wednesday! I also ordered LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean, which I'm greatly looking forward to! :D  (I'm hoping to get Pokemon ere the end of February too, since that's one of the games that convinced me to get it :wink: )

EDIT: Dang it. For the third time my order was cancelled! LEGO Pirates and a screen protector set are still coming Monday, but I'll have nothing to use them on! :lol  I might just go around and try to find one in-store somewhere... :(  I do remember GameStop had one last time I was there, so hopefully they still will!

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
  9. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

10. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, LEGO Pirates and the screen protector kit came yesterday, but K Mart.com still won't ship the system, and apparently there's none at GameStop... :( 

11. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Can somebody recommend a 3DS game?

So far I've only got pokemon X. I used to like RPGs, but the breath of fire I see on the shelves here looks like a strategy RPG, and there's a lot of content unlocked only if you've had and played the previous installment? In which case, I won't bother.

How's that resident evil [PSX] port from a few years ago? Seems simple enough to play on a handheld [I've seen mercenaries 3D in shops here, but just the thought of playing mercenaries on this little screen, in 3d as well, makes ME lag].

Fun platform games?

12. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

Grabbed Rayman 3D and Cubic Ninja for the 3DS for $4 each at Big Lots today. Figured they are worth a try at that price.

For 3DS I recommend Mario Land 3D, Star fox 64, and the new Zelda Link Between Worlds. I have been playing Mario Sticker Star and having a great time playing thru it.

13. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I put in a new order on Best Buy.com. Hopefully this one goes through. :lol 

14. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I spend more time on my 3DS than any other system. Favorite games:

Kid Icarus Uprising is the game that best utilizes the 3DS' touchscreen technology. It makes the feature important without it feeling forced or clunky.

Fire Emblem Awakening is probably the game I have pored the most hours into. It is a strategy RPG, but a darn good one. I usually focus on the relationship building aspects of it. I'm currently on my third play through because you can make it a little different each time by partnering up different characters.

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda game ever and the first game to make me use the 3D effect of the system for long periods of time

New Super Mario Bros 2 is possibly my favorite Mario game if only for the Golden flower power up

Super Mario 3D Land is loads of fun

Mario and Luigi Dream Team is a good RPG lite

Senran Kagura Burst is a fun download only title if you like anime/fanservice/beat em up time games

That's just scratching the surface and not even getting into the original DS titles or the E-shop virtual console downloads of old NES games.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Resident Evil: Revelations wasn't a port, it was an exclusive(although they have since ported it to other platforms). It was designed as a handheld experience, to work to the strengths and within the limitations of the system. It is still the graphics king of the 3ds, so if you want to see the potential of the hardware, check it out. I enjoy it, the atmosphere is great. I'd recommend it without hesitation, it's particularly good if you get the Circle Pad Pro. Mercenaries isn't even a fraction as good.

Platform games? There's no shortage of 2d platformers, and there's some good ones. Naturally, you won't go wrong with Mario games like NSMB2. Some good ones in the eshop too, like Super little Acorns, and Mighty Switch Force.

Personally speaking, the system standouts are Super Mario 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion 2.

Beyond those, again, some of the best games are eshop download only titles. Zen Pinball and Nano Assault Ex are both particularly striking in 3d.

I beg to differ!

Kid Ic is one of those polarizing games that some seem to love but others despise. I'd say it's a worthy effort, but utterly sabotaged by its clunky control scheme. They even packed in a special stand to help support the unorthodox controls. But it mostly serves to highlight how ill-conceived the whole attempt was. Worse again if you're left-handed.

Some claim they could work with the controls, so your mileage will vary, I found them awkward and game-crippling.

16. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Y'know, we could use an Advance Wars game on the 3DS. (Without black hole bombs though)

17. Crossfire-034

Crossfire-034 Insensitive jerk

I'm not really bothered by the lack of takeoffs and landings (although it certainly would be a welcome addition), however the lack of CPP support and being able to look around kind of bummed me out, especially when flying in cockpit-view. Still one my favourite experiences on the 3DS regardless. Come to think of it I still need to 100% the game, have a few titles and whatnot to accomplish.

18. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I didn't even use the stand at all. I found the controls intuitive and easy to use. Even my young (3 and 5) children enjoy the game on easier difficulty levels. Of course, to each their own, but I for one give it an 8.5-9 out of 10. Definitely one of my favorite 3DS games.

19. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  20. Tytus

Tytus Well-Known Member

I was thinking about spending my points on this. I have 600 points. Anything else available now that anyone recommends?

Edit: Ugh nevermind the Zelda one is unavailable.