Nintendo 3DS. What's old is NEW again!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NGW, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Upgraded to 3DS XL my code is 3497 0415 0873. If anyone wants to add me.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Fire Emblem Awakening is on bestbuy.com for $15.

If you don't have it, get it. It's the best game on the system.

4. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I've seen seen such rabbid love for a system since my PS2 days. I started with one 3DS on the 23rd of November. :lol 

[​IMG]

Still no Monster Hunter though... :( 

Where are you 4?

5. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm really loving the XL. I may even get me some NES Mega Man from the shop for it. I can see why this system is doing so well. Wish I had gotten it sooner. Think I'm going to trade in my regular 3ds to see what credit I can get. I need more games for my XL.

6. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    How good is SMT 4? Been thinking about getting it.

7. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a great game, but really hardcore and requires a lot of thinking. If you die too much they'll give you the option to play at easy mode, though.

8. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

So I was playing some "Mii Force" after work today. I'm at the Fight on the Second level of the Top planet. I managed to keep all the cores intact and wasted two of the three hydra heads when my dudes got caught in that fucker's barf arc. DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!

9. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Oh Golden Goddesses, I offer thee this meager meal to you and may my 3DS be filled with more cool Zelda games. Amen.

[​IMG]

No clue. That's like a girl's game to me... kidding... I mean the wifey's... :lol 

I just told her about PersonaQ.

edit: Yeah. For some reason, she's freaking out about that game. She also agrees with what magmatron said.

10. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

The main Shin Megami series is very, veerrrrry different from the Persona games.

Personally I think SMT 4 is the best game on the 3ds, just beating out Fire Emblem. Great game for anyone who likes RPGs.

11. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Oh shit that looks friggn good......god damn it I'm hungry now.... :( 

12. magmatron

News Credits:
    Yeah. This is my first SMT but the difference between the two is huge. I can see why it never got as popular as Persona.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sorry whats SMT stand for? I can't read the title in the photo. Whats so good about it? Is it in English? I'd quite like a good RPG on the 3DS, but dunno if traditional JRPG's can cut it anymore with me after being spoiled by US Sandbox RPGs like Skyrim/Fallout/Mass Effect.

And it's not like that kind of RPG couldn't be done on a 3DS, KOTOR, Jade Empire and a couple of Elder Scrolls games were on the original Xbox. Somebody do it!

14. magmatron

News Credits:
    It stand for Shin Megami Tensei, and yes it's in English. It's a pretty old JRPG series but didn't arrive in the west until 2004. The game has a pretty dark and interesting plot, great voice acting and a branching story. The combat system is classic turn based with a lot of depth. Placing units in the right order, using the right moves and attacking in the perfect order matter a lot. But the biggest thing about this series are the demons. By talking to them during fights you can convince them to become party members. After that you can raise them and give them unique moves and skills. You can even fuse them to create stronger demons, which not only inherit the moves of the demons pre-fusion but also have access to new ones. Not all demons can be recruited, for example you cant' recruit bosses, but you can fuse demons into them after defeating them.
    There's a lot more but I feel that I already wrote too much :p . Anyways, give it a shot, it's one of the better games around.

As for why there are no western RPGs, blame it on western devs not giving a damn about portables, especially now that they have mobile phones. Funny how when portables can finally have an uncompromised WRPG there are none around to develop it.

15. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Any chance we'll get SNES games on the 3DS shop?

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Who knows. There was a time when I thought they would. I get the impression they're deliberately keeping them off so they can sell more gameboy games.

There's some games from the SNES's direct competitor, the Genesis/Megadrive just out. I downloaded 3d Classics Sonic just today. It's pretty well done, although I can't compare to the original release.

I wish Nintendo was still doing 3d classics.

17. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    They should just release GBA and SNES games already. It's a ridiculous wait.

18. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

This. This times a thousand!

19. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Along with the more thought out description from above, a simple one for Shin Megami Tensei 4 is Pokemon goes to hell :lol 

You recruit demons, they level up and learn new moves, as the game goes on you find stronger ones with better skills. They usually take place in post apocalyptic Japan, although some have been in other places or other worlds entirely. The series is also heavy on moral choices, law chaos neutral etc, having different paths through the games and endings for each. Another cool thing is that it uses everything from hindu gods to greek myths for characters and inspiration, which is a pretty big change from normal RPGs.

As a warning to anyone who does decide to try out the series, they're not easy at the start. For the first couple hours they're tough games, but once you get into it and figure out the play style, you'll be cruising through the game and making hardcore OP demons in no time.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They should also release the six GB Mega Man games capcom submitted to them MONTHS ago, that have yet to be put on the eshop.

The virtual console services on both nintendo systems are a fucking joke. If you're lucky they put one game out per week per system, while they sit on a massive backlog of games publishers have submitted for release.