Ninja Theory's Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by RustyBarnacles, Aug 8, 2017.

1. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This game released at midnight this morning for $29.99 on the PS store. Has anyone tried this out yet?

Hellblade | Ninja Theory

It seems very interesting thus far. It dives into the state of mental health in some interesting ways. Ninja Theory also hired mental health professionals as advisers as well as additional historical advisers to ensure it was as accurate as possible. The voice acting in remarkably well donw (from what I've played so far) and is very much a narrative game more than an action game.

The visuals are stunning, and the opening sequence is just jaw dropping.

2. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

RustyBarnacles

...This game just embarrassed the dev team behind The Order 1886 on all fronts . I'll say this though it just threw the gauntlet down against other psychological type games (Silent Hill) as being their better in all aspects

• Like Like x 1
  3. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A couple hours into it, and I have to say that so far it's exceptionally well done. Like if God of War was made by Team Silent. I kept hearing about how the constant whispering is annoying, but I feel that it adds to the uneasy atmosphere.

Also a beautiful looking 7 - 10 hour game for the price of 29.99? That's a steal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    I'm currently on the end game at this point. I died quite a bit in the fire early on not finding a way out so I'm pretty sure I only have 2 or 3 deaths left.

I personally love the whispering...sometimes the voices can be quite helpful. "Behind you...focus..." "Now...now." I guess hearing voices and possibly suffering from schizophrenia can be helpful.

Though I will say...that one part...
    In the dark, not being able to see much of anything save for a few glimpses, and having some monsters around you that can kill you with a single touch was pretty nerve racking.

5. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    So just a heads up....the
    2 cases in which the game forces you to die
    count against the 8 allowable deaths before you have to start over.

So, turns out the whole "if the darkness reaches Senua's head, it's game over thing" isn't really true. It'll stay at shoulder level.

Also:
    Apparently in order to beat the game you have to die...there's no real final battle, just an endless horde of enemies while Hela watches.

I wish I would have known that rather than spend nearly an hour trying to survive.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017