Nickelodeon Orders Transformers Cartoon Comedy Series Based On Hasbro Franchise

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Pretty much this, I’ll wait and see with this. But I’m feeling cautious.

• Like Like x 6
  2. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hearing that it's coming from the Rise of the TMNT crew makes me optimistic. I didn't follow the show, and the designs were not to my taste, but from what I've seen the fight animation was legitimately some of the most gorgeous action in an American kids show ever.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Masktique

Masktique #1 Sideways Fan

News Credits:
    I just want designs that at least looks good (according to my own subjective tastes, of course). Animated is more the type of cartoony aesthetic I would find visually appealing, and less something along the likes of TT:GO, Thundercats Roar.

Only semi-related, but I really like this art by @okcoreyyy on Twitter.
    1FAE1335-5034-45C3-9608-CCC84E2D5840.jpeg
    https://twitter.com/okcoreyyy/status/1365023961541529601?s=21

• Like Like x 12
  4. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    God, that looks awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seeing as this will be on Nick and will be made by some of the crew from Rise of the TMNT, could we get a crossover between TMNT and Transformers please?

• Like Like x 2
  6. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People feeling nervous about comedy part watch this scene this series is filled with stupid nonsense comedy

• Like Like x 12
  7. Chromecannon

Chromecannon Well-Known Member

If they're actively aiming for humour.. I'm concerned. But that just might be my perception of Nickelodeon humour.

Hopefully the characters are well-written and the designs are decent. That's all I really care about, since it seems like it will at least not be a huge retread like the War for Cybertron show has been.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Protostar

Protostar TOOOOOOAAAASSSSTTT!1! 1! 111! 11!!

Man, I just loooooove the positive vibes from this thread
    Side note, I enjoy both Animated and Cyberverse with about an equal amount of love

• Like Like x 11
  9. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Surely this would be better served via the Botbots cartoon, also announced? Irrelevant humour and that aesthetic seem to be mutual?

As a G1 fan, I wanted to like the Netflix shows more, but Cyberverse, even despite its ripoff of the Matrix, was really good.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    That is the problem at hand, we could be in for a period of nothing but silly comedy shows. It seems like a reactionary move in response to WFC's stunningly boring seriousness.

I'd love a TF comedy, but two at once with the same target demographic isn't a good idea.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Are we really going down the “all 80s cartoons created just to sell toys and videogames are trash” route?

Because I strongly disagree.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream w/Powermaster Cobra Cmdr.

So is this the Transformers version of Star Trek: Lower Decks?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I mean, the G1 show definitely was.
    I don’t think anyone is arguing that.

Plus, haven’t seen either, but one thing visually the new She-ra definitely has over the original is that all of the characters aren’t just the same body with different hair.

• Like Like x 7
  14. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mean, Rise of the TMNT got two seasons but the second one was cut so short, they basically had to threw together the finale almost out of nowhere... And what a mess that was!
    Splinter is not just a terrible father and teacher, it seems he forgot/ignored the only thing the Hamato family was supposed to remember, making sure the Shredder does not escape imprisonment. Then they do a 180 on Karai, instead of being the daughter of either the Shredder or Splinter like in the 2003 and 2012 shows, here she is a long dead ancestor of Splinter, who returns from the spirit realm and quickly teaches everyone how to defeat Shredder. Oh and they drop the bombshell in literally the last second that the bald "Foot Intern" girl who went unnamed for 2 seasons is this universe's Casey Jones... Facepalm. :rolleyes: 
    Yet somehow, after being cancelled, they get a movie? How does that work???

Oh please don't remind me that thing exists... I watched it all and then tried to erase it from my mind.

Ah thanks! I see a lot of people on Facebook mistakenly are thinking this means it's the Rooster Teeth show, LOL. Yeah I assumed they were placeholders. Same as how the Botbots show has pics from the 2018 animated advert.

I wonder why shows went into that direction, making kids save the day and adults being idiots? Maybe it's anime's influence, after all in Japan when giant monsters attack Earth, the solution is to put noob teenagers in mech suits instead of battle-tested veteran soldiers. :D 
    I dunno what changed. When I was a kid, most kids I knew hated seeing kids in shows - we watched them for the adults. People liked Batman, not Robin. People watched TNG and wanted to be like Picard or Data, not like Wesley. And I doubt anyone here would say their favourite Transformers G1 character was Spike, Carly or Chip? Heck some of my favourite toons had no kids at all, like Gargoyles.

TMNT in 2012? I cannot remember anything else from them I watched since that one.
    Honestly I never quite liked most Nickelodeon content even as a kid... and then came the Spongebob era when that show was on 24 hours a day, which made me even less interested.

Hard to be hopeful when the creators listed have these credentials...

I am over 40 and still watch cartoons, does not matter if I am not the target audience I can still enjoy a lot of them. However, the two shows you listed are really not even remotely similar...
    Transformers Cyberverse was different from G1, and more comedic (at least in some aspects... in others, it was actually more serious at times. However it was still the same concept. Heroic Autobots fighting the Evil Decepticons, travelling from Cybertron to Earth and back, facing Quintessons and other common threats... etc.
    Teen Titans Go is about a bunch of teenage superheroes living together, goofing around, and engaging in exaggerated everyday activities like obsessing about waffles, playing (cruel) pranks on each other, learning to drive, attending a reality TV show, etc. At no time do they actually go out and fight crime like in the original show - in fact as the show goes on, the creators add more and more episodes downright MOCKING people who expected superheroes to actually fight crime...
    So yeah, there are two ways to make a comedic spinoff/sequel/remake, and we can only hope they will not take the second route.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Hire them, hire them now!

• Like Like x 1
  16. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Just to put my opinion out there...it looks awful to me. Might as well get the artist for GIJoe vs Transformers.
    [​IMG]

17. MacFormer97

MacFormer97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The biggest relief for me is that they make it very clear this isn't '80s nostalgia do-over" yet again. They even mention original characters. Hoping for a new art style and new character designs--not just rehashed G1 designs.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Not sure if the show will be my thing or not, but I do like when media shakes things up to reach a wider variety of fans. Just feels better to have some choices instead of if you don't like the style and tone you can take a long walk off a short space bridge.

19. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    The people in various FB groups are tearing this project apart... Calling it "Woke-Formers" (that wasn't from me). But at this point I've lost all hope in TF projects these days both Live and Animated. Hell, even current IDW comic books are forgetable so if it weren't for the SS86 toy line in 2021 this hobby would be all but done for me.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the difference is, those were not THEIR shows, barring Ben 10.
    Thundercats 2011, Green Lanter TAS and Young Justice, and also Spectacular Spiderman and Transformers Animated were not CN in-house show that regardless aired on CN since back then DC and Hasbro did not have their own streaming networks or channels.
    CN producers however are a greedy little bunch of misers. They only want to promote their own shows and those should have the best ratings, in their eyes. Shows they "import" get an airing slot sure, but as soon as they can, they will move them to unfavorable slots and push their 'darlings' in the slots when kids watch their channel the most. This is what killed Transformers Animated, they pushed it in some 18:00 slot or later and aired the episodes out of order as well. Thundercats, similarly - though there Bandai's terrible marketing for the toys also played a part. I don't think it is by accident that soon after TF Animated ended, Hasbro created the Hub and basically took all their shows off CN.
    CN is still doing this today - especially in the US. Check their roster of toons, you can see they air their in-house product in the middle of the day when kids would be watching, and any other shows are pushed to early morning or late afternoon.

I have hope in the Botbots show, as Chris Wyatt has done some good shows before. This one, less hopeful. But I dunno, "Wokeformers"? We know very little to declare it that yet. Rise of the TMNT was bad, and it had many flaws, but I never noticed it being "woke". Unless you count turtle diversity, in that it made each brother be mutated from a different species of turtle (so yeah, like in Next Mutation, they are biologically not even brothers) but to me that was one of the more interesting changes. I mean Raph being a snapping turtle, he looked kind of like Slash.

Could not disagree more... Kids want and like intelligent, more serious shows too. But these above shows were not marketed well, or got killed due to corporate meddling or bad toy sales due to lack of advertising.
    My half-brother is 15 years younger than me, and I introduced him as a kid to some of these shows that he absolutely loved and they became not just his favourites, but stepping stones to checking out older classics. He loved Transformers Animated and even started collecting the toys (making it easier to get presents for him, heh! :D ). He never even heard of Thundercats and Green Lantern before I showed him these shows. And Spectacular Spiderman remains his favourite and definitive version of the webslinger.
    And after he told me how much he loved GL TAS, I loaned him my Batman TAS DVDs... and then Superman TAS and JLU and the movies... he went through them fast! :) 
    I feel often that studios could just re-release these classics or air them on streaming sites and kids today would enjoy them just as much as we did. After all, for them these would be "new" shows. And it's not like the animation or the themes aged anything.

And? There is also this:
    This Banana Was Duct-Taped to a Wall. It Sold for $120,000.
    If anything it just proves that the whole elitist snob society is basically encouraging artists to try less and less because they will buy anything. If Dali was still alive, he we would totally troll these people. It'd be epic.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 5