NFL 2018-2019 Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moreprimeland, Feb 4, 2018.

1. kmoua7

kmoua7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Meh, I don't think what Mcdaniels did was that bad. Probably the most important aspect of it was his family didn't want to move.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Yeah I think it’s ridiculous that people expect any amount of loyalty from an employee when it’s beyond obvious that employers view employees as disposable. And in this case he wansn’t even an employee yet! He hadn’t signed anything. Anyone who’s done any negotiating knows it ain’t done till it’s signed. This is on the Colts for jumping the gun.

The only criticism of McDaniels I will say is valid is how he hired assistants before he had the job. But that’s also on the colts to some extent since they were in such a rush.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I think there's an argument to be made that , with a few obvious exceptions, most of the qbs today arent as good as in previous eras. Really, who was standing in Brady's way to the Super Bowl? Pretty much just Manning and Rothlisburger...and who is there to stop him from getting a ring? Manning, Brees and Rogers...no slight to any of them, but drop Brady into the 70's / 80's and his path to the Super Bowl has Greise, Marino and Kelly in his division and Elway, Stabler, Fouts and Bradshaw all in his way of getting there with the NFCs Montana, Staubach, Aikmen, Favre, and Tarkenton standing in his way of a ring...how many of those do you see Brady getting past as easily as he got there in this era?

Drop him in the 90s and things in the AFC get a bit easier, but he's still got Marino and Kelly in his division with Elway also in the AFC, but then you run up against the dominant NFL with Montana, Favre, Aikmen, Young and Romo to contend with.

Drop any of those guys into today's NFL and they run roughshod...meanwhile I think Brady still ends up with a couple rings, but I don't think he ends up with anywhere near the dominant stats he has if he played in those earlier eras.

Meanwhile there's the one stat that Brady can never touch...4 for 4 in the Super Bowl with ZERO turnovers...which is why in any fantasy matchup I'd take Montana as my super bowl qb.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Let me jump in here and remind everybody about our Rules 1... and 13...

1. No Insults, Trolling, Flaming, Name Calling, Harassing, Etc.
    We will not tolerate insults, excessive profanity or throwing a topic off course. Use of racial, bigoted, sexist, or discriminatory terms or phrases is not accepted. Posts intended solely to antagonize others are not accepted. Keep topics/posts where they belong. Generally, “play nice”.

13. No Disruptive Posting or Flamebaiting
    Do not purposely post anything which will cause another member (or members) to react negatively. This is subjective. The TFW2005 staff will evaluate the trend of posts made by those consistently being reported or those that are repeatedly involved with arguments on the site. If their overall method or content of posting leads to staff attention repeatedly, we reserve the right to warn, infract and/or ban accordingly.

Knock off the witching at each other or you're banned from this thread... permanently... and it's just the start of the year.
    We're not putting up with the crap that ended last year's thread.

So... want to post? Then keep it civil. Fellow TFW members are not your enemy but fellow fans of the sport.

• Like Like x 3
  6. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i see what you're saying and there's room to debate but what are your stipulations here? i mean are you just dropping brady in with the team of that era or is it the 2017-2018 pats coaches and all? cuz if it's full team i could see them winning a few rings even against those guys.

and you bring up dropping those guys in today and expecting them to run all over today's nfl...are you talking montana having to deal with a salary cap era and in an era where they'd check his star receivers for stickum? are we dropping in bradshaw with his team and are they going to be looked at as closely for steroid use? there's alot of other factors going into what made some of these guys these guys than just "they were good" i mean no stickum on rice and cuts due to salary cap does montana make it to four? no steriods does bradshaw have his wins? does montana go four for four with todays 49ers team? cuz i sure as hell don't think so...

there's arguments for both cases but today's nfl is today's nfl...not the nfl of the 70s or 80s. who knows what those guys could have done today with the way the rules are. things could be flipped to the point no one today would be any good in the 70s and no one in the 70s would be good today. different teams different era...hell the players are differed...were tights ends that fast in the 70s? were linemen 400lbs? were there guys like jj watt back then? hard to really know...all speculation at best really.

and for the last part? that's fine...montana can have that record...what montana doesn't have is is five superbowl rings and 223 career wins including 27 playoff wins and the most appearances in the superbowl for a qb. montana can keep that record and i'll be happy with brady having the dozens of others he holds that montana won't ever have.

7. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
  8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Jimmy G just got signed to a 5-year, $137 million dollar deal, making him the highest paid player per year in NFL history.

The dude's started less than 10 games, won two Super Bowls, and just got enough money to buy a small country. A true hero to everyone that lets their partners do all the work in group projects.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm happy that deal is done, sure he is the highest played player now but by the time the season starts I doubt he will still be.

I can see Cousin's, Brees and Foles (if he gets traded) asking for similar pay, it's just the going rate. When Rodgers gets his new deal it will kill this one. Heck I remember it was not that long ago when Stafford was the highest paid and that's not the case anymore. In a years time Jimmy might be lucky to still be in the top 5. The Niners can afford it and they have their guy locked up for 5 years now.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    The Vikings aren't much gonna like those numbers with their QB issues. Mind none of the three they have are worth that kind of cash.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

My only problem with that excuse is, why even bother interviewing at all then? I'm guessing he used that excuse just so he wouldn't look like such an a-hole.

13. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I've waited 30 years :) 

Too bad I can't be there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

That's how I felt when I attended the SF Giants parade in 2010.

About Jimmy G, I knew he would get a nice payday, but geez! 137 Mil for 5 years? I'm sure they could have used some of that to beef up the offensive line and add depth. At that amount, you need to protect your investment.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Jason Kelce is epic.

Niners sure gave Jimmy a lot of money.

I certainly hope it pans out because if not, well, there better not be an if not.

16. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    All that money....man I know a certain unemployed somebody could have had a chunk of it. But noooooo....

17. Rusty24

Jimmy G. went from a backup on his rookie deal to highest paid quarterback immediately. He definitely earned it though. He went 5-0 and put up great numbers with a struggling team that won one time in eleven games prior. He hung more points on the elite Jaguars defense than any other team besides Pittsburgh, and they won unlike my Steelers. I didn’t trust him. We’ve seen it before with New England with competent backup quarterbacks going somewhere else as a starter and flopping. Jimmy G. has proven me wrong though. That guy is for real and has the quickest release in his throws that I’ve seen in the league in some time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rusty24

• Like Like x 1
  19. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    The issue that many have is that all of the assistants and such that he picked we're left hanging. They have families too that they've uprooted to Indy thinking this was a done deal.

• Like Like x 3
  20. seanlockyer

seanlockyer Professional Cat Herder & Ancient Alien Theorist.

Ebay:
    Draft will be here before you know it guys...

Anyone got their heart set on their team getting a certain someone ?

For me, I want the Bucs to draft Rashad Penny and please, please, please draft Shaquim Griffin.

• Like Like x 1