Next Transformers film is titled "The Transformers" and is starting pre-production soon

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Music, Dec 28, 2020.

1. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    A movie about transforming robots being seen a joke to general audiences? :eek: 
    As amazing as we may think of our franchise, movies about the subject matter are still inherently silly. We aren't going to get Oscar-winning movies for best writing, these movies are going for Summer blockbuster, popcorn flicks you can bring your kids to for good entertainment. Michael Bay made some questionable choices that certainly didn't help the public image of Transformers, but Bumblebee was a step in the right direction, a return to form. What hurt Bumblebee was most likely Into the Spiderverse. Spider-man just has that much more star-power over Transformers. Bumblebee could've done better if it was released under different circumstances and marketed as a complete Reboot.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    While the concept may be silly, that doesn't mean the audience has to view it as a joke. We live in an age where a talking racoon and tree or a "baby yoda" reach mainstream status. I think audiences are willing to overlook the sillier aspects of something as long as it is well-executed.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

Good points, I'll admit.

4. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

If people thought transforming robots are a joke the first movie wouldn’t made 700 million.A movie doesn’t have to be oscar worthy to be good and didn’t spider-verse made like 100 million less than bumblebee?

• Like Like x 1
  5. TonyStink

TonyStink AKA Mr. E.

Spider-Verse made 375,540,831 USD worldwide and the Bumblebee movie made 467,989,645 USD worldwide, so Bumblebee was a more successful movie at the box office.

However, the BB movie had a budget of 135 million, and Spider-Verse had a budget of 90 million, so the BB movie made a profit of 332,989,645 and Spider-Verse got 285,540,831.

Source: boxofficemojo.com

• Like Like x 1
  6. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Stupid Idiot

No. Again, something does not have to be a reboot if it’s a certain amount of years after a previous movie, just that it would be a good opportunity for a reboot if one is needed.
    I never said that Paramount didn’t call it a reboot. I was saying that the casual audience didn’t know the difference.
    My point was not that a reboot after a long amount of time is automatically good, but that if it is good, a long enough time after the previous installment will help to differentiate them.
    Avengers wasn’t the first MCU film to come out after Iron Man. Hell, it wasn’t even the first movie with Iron Man in it since Iron Man. And again, nobody here has ever said that time between movies absolutely always = 100% hard reboot. Just that should the need arise, more time after the last movie means more time to separate it from the new one.

7. 0ptimus__Prime

News Credits:
    Correct, but even with the silly premise, Bay didn't do the franchise any favors by his "humor". You don't have the other "silly properties" like the MCU or Star Wars pulling from low-hanging fruit to get a cheap laugh (if the said joke even lands). The general audience associates the brand more so with the Bay films, Bumblebee suffered from that. They thought Bumblebee was an origin film about a character of a franchise they've lost interest in. Had Bumblebee been marketed as complete reboot of the franchise, I think that would have resonated with audiences better, whom were turned off by TLK.
    My mistake, for some reason I mis-remembered it making more than Bumblebee. I retract my statement.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

Yeah, unfortunately there you have Paramount being absolute greedy bastards who, despite everything, were not ready to put down the bayverse if it meant even milking any last amounts of money, which is why it took so long to actually confirm the film as a standalone thing and before then, they straddled the line between considering it a reboot or not. The final film clearly is intended to be able to be leaned in either direction despite the story problems of it still being a prequel (as if story problems were anything new in bayformers, right?).

Basically, Paramount wanted the cake and to eat it, too, and paid the price by not making it clearer by design about Bumblebee not being another bayverse film.

• Like Like x 5
  9. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    That's not how a movie profit is calculated. To do so, we need the Breakeven Point.

You see, a production cost of a movie is just the only expense we see visible. BUT, there are other factors which acts as deductibles from Ticket Sales.

When we say "a movie made XXXXX amount", that's the Ticket Sales (a.k.a Boxoffice Revenue).

We take that Ticket Sale and deduct Production Cost, Marketing Cost, Theater Cut (the percentage which a theater keeps; this can be from 25% or all the way up to 50% in some cases), Distributor Cut, Royalties, and other such deductibles to come up with the amount known as the Breakeven Point.

A movie must breach the Breakeven Point to be considered profitable.

Spiderverse may have had a lower breakeven point to Bumblebee, thus making more profit.

Don't take movie boxoffice revenue values as they are, because in most cases those values are more than meets the eye (pun intended).

• Like Like x 4
  10. Rodimal Rodimus

But is it really needed though?

But why differentiate from the BB film when it's the most acclaimed?

11. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Stupid Idiot

While Bumblebee was a good movie, it was still a bit too similar to the Bay movies for people to easily identify it as a reboot. Bumblebee himself is still very reminiscent of the Bay version, just looking less like a pointy skeletal chimpanzee monster. Disregarding Bumblebee is not absolutely needed, but if that were the case it would be more obvious that it’s a reboot. Whatever the case, the Bay movies definitely do need to be disregarded.

12. Rodimal Rodimus

Yes, the Bay films should be.
    At least the Bee movie is a potential launching pad to a new HasbroVerse.
    Yet another reboot would just mean yet another incarnation of Prime, Bee, Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave, etc, to be established from the ground up.

13. decepticon seeker

decepticon seeker Sixshot

HasbroVerse is just a rumor

14. 0ptimus__Prime

News Credits:
    Yeah, they need to use Bumblebee as a prelude to "The Transformers." The bones for a movie franchise are right there established in Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rodimal Rodimus

For now
    Thanks

16. QuintusTheExaltedOne

QuintusTheExaltedOne Creator of the Quintessons and ex-Prime

I'm a big fan of the idea that we could see them have a base set up in the middle of nowhere, maybe Jasper Nevada? Name just came to mind, no reason. But in all seriousness I hope it's a sequel to Bumblebee, that was the first time I felt genuine love put into a transformers movie.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Ask not why, rather ask why not?

News Credits:
    And remember, pirate movies used to be a joke before Pirates series.

Super hero movies used to be seen as a joke, now Marvel movies are hugely popular

Dinosaur movies used to be seen as a joke, then Jurassic Park came out and... those movies have become a joke.

B-but my point is transformers needs it’s own ‘big buster’ movie, something that can show its more than summer popcorn fodder.

18. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight AKA: King Scarlet Bosphormemeus Hyrule

News Credits:
    0ebf8d713b883e18d07fad91b0ef095b.jpg (Old poster, but you get the point.)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Magnus Leader

Magnus Leader Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    While I entirely agree that Jake is too inexperienced for a blockbuster attempt at Optimus Prime, I would like to hear some new blood (as long as they're professional voice actors) as Optimus and Megatron rather than the same old G1 actors doing the same old G1-inspired song and dance all over again.

20. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

I know the perfect guys.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3