next series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by megatron10824, May 25, 2009.

1. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Hopefully nothing like the bizarre shorts on Hasbro's site.

I think a series along the lines of Resolute wouldn't be too likely to become the 'main' series, considering that Transformers IS marketed primarily at children. I could imagine something like it being made as a side-series unconnected to the current fiction, though.

But it is hard to think of what they would do next, if they intend to go in a new direction-TF series seem to follow whatever's successful at the time, hence why BW was CG, why RiD/Unicron Trilogy was anime, and why Animated was Teen Titan-esque. But now that the last one has ended, and that particular style is seemingly the in thing right now, I can't think of what would happen next aside from a movie-based series, which I think would be unlikely.

2. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for a maturely written G1-inspired series with more conventional, or perhaps cel-shaded, animation. If the writers of Animated set their minds to it, they could create a brilliant and mature series that still had clever, enjoyable humor.

3. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

They should do the entire original G1 series with Bayformers. It would really tie things together!

4. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    Honestly, I think they should try something new. Obviously with fan nods and whatnot, but a different story, far from the norm. I wrote this up a few months back, and it's basically my idea for a show.

"Optimus Prime is missing. The Autobots are out of shape and are forced to hide. The Decepticons have forced many loyal Autobots onto their side, and the planet of Cybertron is in trouble. The Autobots start fighting with eachother over whether or not Optimus really is missing, or if he is just a bad leader, and groups start to form.

The Optomibots who believe Optimus is missing, and the Peseptibots who think that he is a bad leader. They split up.

Optomibots:
    Custom Dodge Challenger - Rodimus Prime - Leader who always believed in Optimus. Rodimus Prime is the cocky, optimistic type who thinks he is the savior of the Autobot kind.
    Custom Porsche - Sideswipe - Sibling rivalry turned into cold-hearted fighting. Sideswipe is separated from his twin, Sunstreaker.
    Custom Red Honda Fit - Cliffjumper - Dedicated to find Optimus, whom he looks up to, Cliffjumper acts as he is the true leader.
    Ambulance - Arcee - Protoform friends with Optimus, Arcee feels she knows him best.
    Custom BMW HP Sport - Prowl - Calm-minded Prowl knows in his heart that Optimus is fine, and will return to lead the Autobots victorious.

Peseptibots:
    Crane - Longarm Prime - Leader who doesn't think highly upon OP. He truly believes that he has left the Autobots, or is dead.
    Bumper car - Wheelie - After being treated poorly as an infant, Wheelie is very pessimistic, but strong. His past fuels his anger and attitude towards fighting.
    Custom Yellow Porsche - Sunstreaker - The more cold brother of the duo, Sunstreaker just wants everything to return to normal, and he doesn't care about OP.
    Custom Chevrolet Beat - Skids - Skids never met OP, but believes with work, he himself can become a better leader than anyone.
    Custom Lotus APX SUV - Bulkhead - The arrogant Bulkhead. He has a crush on Arcee, but it is only one-sided as she truly loves OP, and Bulkhead is determined to fight him!

Decepticons:
    Tank, Cannon - Megatron
    Hover car - Starscream
    Custom Yellow Mazda 3 - Bumblebee
    Spider - Blackarachnia
    Lamborghini - Jazz
    Muscle car - Sentinel
    Submarine - Octane
    Wasp - Buzzsaw
    Rocket - Cyclonus
    Helicopter - Hot Shot

Obiviously more groups and characters would come along the four season span. Constructicons, Predacons and Insecicons come to mind right now.

5. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

If Hasbro wants to do a Resolute-type show as a webisode or DTV-type thing, then fine, I have no problem with that...but for a main-line animated series, I would prefer they stick to something that can reach a wider age range, younger AND older. It doesn't need to be any less mature than the DCAU was. Failing a spinoff/follow-up to Animated, I personally would probably go with one of two different approaches for a TF series if it were my call. I've posted the basic idea of the second approach in another thread, but I'm going to elaborate a bit on it here.

I would say it's time to start shaking things up again, and the old "A Boy/Girl And His/Her Giant Robots With G1 Homages Up The Yazoo" is bound to get pretty damn stale after a while, even by kids' standards - my five-year-old nephew loves the heck out of "Clone Wars" and there are NO little kids in "Clone Wars", so the notion that you need to have a protagonist under the age of 12 in order to appeal to kids is highly arguable, IMHO. And to be brutally honest, at this point in time, I just do not see War Within or Classics or Transtech or IDW or etc. happening as animated shows anytime soon, if at all. Hasbro's had plenty of opportunities to take advantage of the story potential of these continuities - especially given how long the fans have been clamoring for them - and so far no dice beyond toy packaging bios and TFCC stories.

So rather than just do a G1 continuation or pre-Earth or any of that, I would just aim to make a TF animated series with the idea of treating it as if the Transformers mythos as we know it has never existed until now. The base concept would still have to be there, obviously: two factions of giant shape-changing robots - the heroic Autobots led by Optimus Prime, and the evil Decepticons led by Megatron - fight a war for control of their home planet of Cybertron that ultimately takes them across the cosmos to Earth and beyond. But beyond that, I would try to enlist very good and very capable animation writers and artists and get a really good animation studio to handle it - preferably in CGI that is at least comparable to "Beast Machines"; seriously, to do TWO TF series back-to-back in CGI and then slide straight back into cel animation to me has always seemed like a real backwards step for the TF franchise, ESPECIALLY now that we have the movies.

There'd have to be some other trade-offs, too. Since I would treat this show as if this is the first time we've met the Transformers, all the not-so-sly winks to G1 and Easter Eggs and in-jokes and three-second cameos would have to be rendered utterly defunct. In terms of TF characterization, the answer to that is very simple: use the Tech Spec bio profiles of the original toys - IMO those are condensed enough to stick to the basic core of each character and still allow elbow room in the way they're to be protrayed. In terms of voice acting, I'd just go with really good voice actors and LET THEM TAKE THEIR OWN APPROACH TO EACH CHARACTER as laid out in the Tech Spec bios. In other words, I'm not interested in how well the person voicing Starscream can impersonate the late Chris Latta or come up with a high-pitched rasp - I just want them to do a really good job portraying a backstabbing egomaniac.

In terms of the look of the TFs, that's also very simple - each character's look would be determined largely by two factors...
    1) The simplest, most basic single-sentence description of each character's most frequent alt-mode - examples: "Optimus Prime turns into a big red truck", "Bumblebee turns into a little yellow car", "Starscream turns into a gray jet", etc. As for the ones whose alt-modes have changed dramatically for whatever reason in the years since G1, typical aspects of the robot modes would probably dictate the intent of the design - examples: "Megatron turns into some implement of destruction that grants him a fusion cannon on his right side in robot mode", "Soundwave turns into something dark blue and stealthy that has equipment that turns into his lackeys". Of course, certain traditions would be stuck to in order to appease Hasbro, but only insofar as the extent they were done in the original toyline: Thundercracker and Skywarp (yes, on my watch we'd get all three Seekers, and back to scale, somehow) would be repaints of Starscream, and ditto Smokescreen and Silver(Blue)streak from Prowl; on the other hand, Cliffjumper would be a little red car NOT repainted from Bumblebee, and "White Optimus" Magnus ain't showing up at all unless he's got his damn trailer-armor with him.
    2) Head shots of the characters as seen in the original Marvel comic. I choose the old Marvel comic for reference as there tended to be more artistic license taken, and that would be a big factor here because these would be used as influence rather than as direct 'match-this-EXACTLY!' models - the aim here would be to have the TFs' heads match their G1 counterparts by the same percentage that Movie Optimus matches HIS G1 counterpart (since he's the only Movie character thus far whose visage comes the closest to matching the original).
    ...and from there I'd just let the designers go to town, with the only other stipulation being making sure the final designs match Hasbro's manufacturing capability. ;)  Seriously, I would never produce a TF series myself WITHOUT ensuring that the designs can be easily reproduced in articulated plastic form.

6. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

It seems kinda like Teen Titans and Teen Titans East from your groups of Autobots. I like how you're putting in a lot of gray and characterizing the robots but I would have done it a little differently. I have no problem with the schism within the Autobots as its only normal for people to disagree on how to do things, though they agree in general. One way to frame that is to go with the "pro-messiah" and "anti-messiah" method which has been done before.

I think the problem with your groups is they are almost mirror images of each other. Small bot, fast bot, leader bot, etc. Why not have different types of bots on each time? Have a medic bot on one, but instead of putting a medic bot on the other - have someone like Rat Trap on it for espionage and hacking? Or you could have a big hulking brawler on one but his counterpart on the other team be someone like Perceptor - instead of the very tired Bulkhead vs Lugnut types of battles? Would provide more entertaining and original battles.

I like how you trimmed down the cast of characters for the good and bad guys. There are 100s of TFs in the TF pantheon, but I am not sure which is the best way to go. Quality or quantity? Would it be better to showcase Beachcomber in one episode and then showcase Cosmos in another ala Justice League? Or would it be better to follow a small group of Autobots so that they are more fleshed out and better characterized ala Samurai Jack?

7. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I'm an adult collector and I know what is best for TV shows and Toys to appeal to children! Hasbro is Dumb and knows nothing about what children want which is why they are out of business! Let me post multiple TLDR posts restating how good my ideas are and how I know so much more than Hasbro when it comes to Kids!

8. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Awesome. Well, you heard it from kelschy lads. No point in discussing anything anymore on here. Unless you're a 5 year old, its time to delete that TFW2005 profile. Cuz we can't give any opinions unless we're 5, according to Sage kelschy. Only opinions that agree with Hasbro's tried and true, formulaic method to wring the cash cow dry of every last dime is to applauded. All other possible ways of doing something are to be ridiculed.

9. nkelsch

Why? You seem to ridicule any ideas that are not yours... I guess people can have opinions when they support your "mature, next generation, adult series" ideas.

The franchise runs off kids. And anything the adult collectors get is a gift and you act as if we are entitled to be catered to as if we are the key keeping this franchise alive.

This is like your 12 thread on the same exact topic with the same exact premise. "Make a series designed for me the smart adult collector and the kids will like it regardless."

Having ideas and opinions are great, but having delusions that somehow the next series should be *ANYTHING* but a 100% kid focused series is absurd as it will hurt everyone if they attempted it. Only when the core Demo grows do we get extra things given to us by hasbro for the Adult collectors.

10. Blackout

Blackout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just make a damn continuation of G1 (ie start where season 3 left off... what's so hard about that) or BeastWars and just keep reissuing the figures from either series.

11. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I completely disagree with your ideas. So we can agree to disagree. You make statements saying that doom and destruction will happen if anything but x or y is to be tried. I am NOT against any kid series. I am not against GM. I just would like to see it done a different way. Which you aren't even willing to entertain the idea of. You remind me of a lap dog. What Hasbro gives us?!? Screw Hasbro. They aren't giving me anything. I am BUYING stuff from them. I am the customer. I am not paying them to decide what to give me. I can decide on my own, I don't need them to do it for me.

Honestly, you pass off your ideas as fact. You take characterization to the extreme. Even in the Resolute threads, MANY MANY people reiterated over and over again how mature doesn't equate blood, gore, and sex. Yet, your sig line caricatures that argument as only wanting blood. So sad to see. Even when people say that isn't what they want.

I do disagree with you that a 100% kid show is the only kind of show that will succeed. There are all kinds of cartoons that succeed that aren't kid focused. No one is saying for Hasbro to stop catering to the kids - but just to expand their offering to a wider audience. Which you will not allow. Maybe you don't realize - but I am not at all against anything of what other people are saying or liking. If they like the movie, fine. Thats cool. Its not for me tho. I could find other things to like. I liked Alternators and Masterpiece. Others didn't. Thats fine. While I am asking to broaden the ideas within Hasbro, you are seeking to keep out any ideas that Hasbro hasn't officially blessed.

12. nkelsch

You are right. So when you have called for the death of humans and transformers over the years and you say: "Robots die when they are killed and stay dead. There is no reincarnation. Robots can be damaged and repaired, but once their spark is extinguished - they are dead." and you call for WAR stories how can anyone possibly think you want Blood and gore?

So how do you not want only blood when you call for MATURE war stories with the death of characters to make things mature?

13. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I hope Team Isenberg or Tema DiTillo & Forward will be in charge of the next series.

14. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

What? Those statements were said with how people keep getting reincarnated in the movie verse. Did I say that people would die? Just that they COULD! And if they DO die, they stay dead. I was simply setting the parameters for a realistic story.

Think of it this way. If someone were to come along and define that guns can kill and people are gone forever when they are killed, does that mean that the person is asking for gore and violence? He is simply stating the realities of a gun and death. Not calling for violence or death.

It was to add gravitas to the story. I would like to make it more realistic by weapons having the power to actually hurt others. Not like the contant laser fights in G1 where in 1000s of shots fired not one bot was actually hit.

Calling for war stories? Every single TF franchise has been about the TFs at war. Not about picnics. They have all been simply about a war. The only difference was that I would like to see the "Great War" on Cybertron told. You could slap a name on any TF series and make up a name for that specific war.

15. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

The question is really what you want from it I guess.

The content that is. Actually, all content that isn't "sci fi war story" or "epic space opera" enrichens the franchise no matter who its written for in the first place.

Because variation is great.

16. Spyro

Spyro Banned

Transformers: The Legend Reborn, or a show based off of the Hearts Of Steel comics.

17. nkelsch

Because none of this has any place in a Kids franchise. You want human weapon effects translated to ancient space robots. Why? Why when a Tf gets shot should he face the horrible reality of death and pain and death? So what that TF weapons are basically nerf guns?

"I want killing and death but I don't want killing and death! I just want the potential of killing and death... MATUUUUUURE!"

The more you explain yourself the more you sound like this:

18. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Who ever stated who the target audience is supposed to be. You're the one implying that it can be only about kids. That there can't be any other series that focuses on groups that aren't kids. Thats YOUR assumption.

Hey, thats fine if in your cartoon you like guns that can't hurt and there aren't realistic consequences. I would like my weapons portrayed in a different way if you don't mind.

You're really a very sad person. Again with demonizing the other side. You can't even fathom people wanting a mature series and not wanting gore can you? They're mutually exclusive in your head or in your convenient arguments. Answer me this question:

Can a series be mature and not be bloody?

19. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    A TF styled reality show....

This would anger the base so much the creators would go missing.

20. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    the realbot world