NEWS: Transformers with Possible $100 Million Weekend

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by JohnRedcorn, Jun 27, 2014.

1. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers: Age of Extinction $100 Million Box Office | Variety

The giant robots of “Transformers: Age of Extinction” stomped impressively into U.S. theaters on Friday with early estimates as high as $100 million for the film’s launch weekend.

If that number holds, Paramount’s fourth “Transformers” would take the title for top opening weekend of 2014 by surpassing the $95 million gross for Disney-Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” which opened the first weekend in April.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Eat it, haters.

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Depends on where you read. First day numbers are tracking lower than expected, so it's up in the air.

4. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The source is Variety.

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I read your article. I saw. But other websites (like Deadline) are reporting that it's tracking below $100 million opening.

6. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    boxofficemojo is basically tracking AoE with comparative numbers to Godzilla, Winter Soldier, and ASM2, which would still put it in the mid-90s range.

Considering the film is opening later than in prior years, but with the prospect of the kind of franchise fatigue that hurt Spider-Man and Pirates of the Caribbean, I think it could swing either way.
    But I'm expecting it to open around $95 million myself.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This surprises no one without an unnatural hatred for entertaining movies or Michael Bay.

8. ChibiGingi

ChibiGingi Calm Your Circuits, Red!

To be honest, I'd rather than wait and see where their numbers go instead of just boasting about their predictions beforehand, but that's just me not liking smug people in general. They already confirmed a 5th movie anyway, so why not say they're going to do great?

We'll see. If it does good, great, good for them. More Transformers movies. If they do poorly, well... maybe don't go boasting about how successful you are until you've hit those numbers next time, right?

I'm indifferent at this point.

9. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, at least it was a success financially.

It's like watching Gladiators, not the movie I mean literal Gladiators.

10. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Not sure it will break records, but if it does, Great!

I'd rather wait and see what the final $$$$ are b4 high-fiving too much tho. :D 

11. SSR

SSR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its awesome when these horrible movies that pander to the lowest common denominator do well. it means more masterpieces for us.

12. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Not surprising. Continues the downward slide despite virtually zero competition at the box office. It couldn't have a better opening time frame or less competition, and will likely have the highest percentage of IMAX and 3d receipts this year. Yet still underperforming both previous box office and expectations. So I'm betting attendance will be lower than the other hits of the year. Still not low enough, but we'll take what we can get for progress.

I'm sure internationally will make up for it. Sad to think China might think this is what good Cinema is. Yikes.

Preliminary or not, I can guarantee no records will be being broken, except maybe for worst reception ever for a $100M movie. Got a 16 going on the site where reviews from critics of all walks are aggregated and averaged, worse than ROTF which even most TF fans now admit is embarrassingly poor. Also has plummeted to a 67 on user reviews, lower than all the other high grossing films of 2014.

13. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

40 million Friday, so it's still on track to make 100 mil!

14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Oh! YES. :D 

15. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    In fairness, I'm still of the opinion that the standing bias against Michael Bay and the Transformers franchise are probably skewing those critic numbers lower. I'll be seeing the film later today...but I really don't think it will be any worse than the dreck we got in 2009 (which I think it still the franchise's high point, financially).
    Audience numbers are also likely to shift as most "casual" viewers are only NOW seeing the film, I really think it has been "fans" who've skewed that number at the moment. History has shown the casual audience to be very receptive to the series.

Ultimately, the money is what matters, and if it is the worst reviewed film of the year, and still makes a ton of money, those numbers won't mean a damn.