NewAge or Magic Square?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Demerge, Jul 11, 2020.

?

NewAge or Magic Square?

1. NewAge is king!

40 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Magic Square scales better!

25 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Both - they work well together!

48 vote(s)
    36.9%
  4. Iron Factory have all my money!

13 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. I’ll wait for the OSKO...

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

So, either I’m garbage at searching, the search engine is garbage, or this thread doesn’t exist.. so I figured I’d create it!

What are everyone’s preferences on legends scaled G1 figures?
    I’m personally a huge fan of NewAge’s figures, especially their Starscream and Megatron. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted by a lot of Magic Squares offerings - especially their upcoming Menasor!
    But it seems to be that if I want mini masterpieces I go for NewAge, and if I want comic accuracy I go Iron Factory, so I’ve not had much reason to go for Magic Square for anything, but I don’t have anything against them at all (other than their plastic quality/lack of paint apps)

So yeah - I guess this thread is to discuss/compare the releases of Magic Square and NewAge? Please enjoy!
    (And mods - if this thread does indeed exist - then sorry about that!)

• Like Like x 4
  2. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Cultus Volcanicus

News Credits:
    I’m an Iron Factory fan first and foremost, but I have and adore New Age’s Insecticons and Magic Square’s Soundblaster and their Tape Set.

I’m also still not sure if I’ll also get New Age’s Scaramanga and Company, but I’m thinking I’ll pass on that.

I am however going to get Iron Factory’s Soundwave to go with the rest of my collection.

In general, I prefer Iron Factory’s more updated comic look, though they also been taking inspiration from Perfect Effect for their Transmetal 2 Megs and Primal, as well as just a sort of anime/video game modernization with their Lio Convoy and Bludgeon for their Iron Samurai series.

Still, Soundwave and Friends are among my most favorite characters, and the Insecticons were too cute to pass up on. :D 

• Like Like x 6
  3. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

Where is option #6: I'll take it all.

I purchase what I like from each company and am very thankful that I have so much to choose from.

• Like Like x 13
  4. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

I very nearly included that option..
    that’s a totally fair opinion to have, and I guess I’m somewhat similar - but how do you choose between companies for certain releases? Like Reflector, Soundwave, or Megatron?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

What made you pick Magic Square over NewAge for Soundwave?
    I love Iron Factory’s work (though would it kill them to release IDW Wreckers? I mean come on..)

• Like Like x 4
  6. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    New Age looks more pristine plastic and paint, and I tend to favor that, but ms has the better engineering.

• Like Like x 5
  7. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I said it before, my view on the two companies is that generally speaking Magic Square is more fun to handle, and NewAge is better for display. Obviously there are exceptions to each, but overall that's been my experience. For this reason, I gladly collect both.

That said, with their triple changer offerings, Mech Fans Toys is stepping up in a big way.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

Fair question. Magic Square leads the way due to Prime which demands MFT dinobots, headmasters, and so much more to pair even though I had the originals first but then bring in MMC Skylynx, Hasbro Titans, and POTP Optimal which scales with the TW and whatever legends Beasties coming out. Mainly following the cartoon look and sunbow scale.

Oh, NA Bumblebee and metallic Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ashpolt

Ashpolt Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Newage for me, mostly due to plastic quality. MS use this oddly soft plastic - it's not terrible, but stuff doesn't tab in securely. By contrast, Newage's plastic is top notch, and the engineering is really clever, they're all basically mini-masterpieces.

That said, I still do like MS, and have their Megatron preordered (even though I have and love the NA one already) and will be getting their Menasor for sure, but if I could only have one, it would be Newage.

• Like Like x 3
  10. bigwhitey21

bigwhitey21 Well-Known Member

Newage is pretty much my favorite 3rd party at the moment. They have the absolute best engineering. Fun inventive transformations. And everything feels quality. Every time I buy a Magic Square toy, it always seems like it needed a couple more passes on fitment. I bought Magic Square Soundwave to tide me over till Newage puts theirs out. The tape guys won't even fit in Soundwaves chest! Well Lazerbeak, Buzzsaw, and the drone guy do but the rest don't (Ratbat is sooo close).

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Magic square has a more show accurate bot mode and better tapes. On the other hand New Age's Seekers look better than Magic Square's.

• Like Like x 2
  12. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN … beating a dead horse with a broken record, LoL!

News Credits:
    i second that. i'm in no one camp as none have been perfect to eyes as they've all made their follies on figures. but if i had to choose one, then it's NewAge and that's because to me they do more right and that is reflected by them being the overwhelming majority at the moment in my collection. second would be MFT (and other KOs based off DX9/IF/MS) followed by IronFactory, and only recently i picked up my first 2 Magic Square figures, but should be adding megatron soon.

i would have to disagree with that opinion. i think newage has brilliant engineering in their seeker/conehead molds, as well as the vanbots. and though not perfect, their carbots are quite a feat for their size. only "magic" i feel are in MagicSquare line-up are prime, the soon to release megatron and their recently released laserbeak/buzzsaw! :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  13. Reygn

Reygn Banned

Interesting; I find their Megatron, Soundwave, and carbots to be superior. Both of their Refldctors are well done, though I do prefer MS on this one. Their seekers are a bit iffy, but I do prefer their look over New Age.

• Like Like x 3
  14. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN … beating a dead horse with a broken record, LoL!

News Credits:
    sorry, who's megatron, soundwave and carbots are superior… MS? if so then i would say both MS and NA aren't perfect with megatron, but MS edges out NA because of the backless NA. soundwave i can't compare as NA isn't even out yet, but i only bought into soundblaster mold for laserbeak, and i feel soundwave/blaster scales too large in comparison to their MS prime. and i despise MS bluestreak… visually that thing is train wreck to me. :confused:  reflektor is a push i feel, but i do like the NA toy deco better and might get that. and for me NS seekers/coneheads fly circles around MS, no contest.

• Like Like x 2
  15. IronFactoryFan

IronFactoryFan Well-Known Member

I'm team magic square and I'll explain why:

I actually prefer the overall consistency and repaints of NewAge (just compare magic square's toy deco reflector with newage's one). However, the deal breaker for me is the elbow ball joints. All newage carbots, minibots, reflector have them which really cheapens the look imo, reminding me of 90s beast wars basics.

Magic square also has the awesome indestructible plastic, which I know is not for everyone but I love it. Unlike Newage however, magic square has a few misfires (powermaster prime and loose hips of seekers), though the other ones i have I love instantly. Another thing is Menasor, as I doubt newage will do a combiner anytime soon. Also to note is Newage is almost always more expensive than a magic square equivalent.

Overall, pros and cons and u could always mix them up, but if I were to start from scratch now, I would pick magic square.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Reygn

Reygn Banned

NA carbots are bit too chibi for my tastes. I just prefer the look of MS seekers. NA are definitly more G1 accurate, but they leen into the G1 proportions a lottle too much for my tastes. I would say the gap between MS and NA Megatron is larger than I initially thought, but it's large enough for my to say MS stomps. MS Soundwave just outright looks superior, while NA will probably feel better.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

I’m honestly curious as to why so many people seem to prefer MS over NA for Megatron - as I feel NA Megatron is almost perfect.. where as the MS one has a giant chest that throws off the proportions of the bot a lot?

I also think NA did the seekers a lot better.
    But Reflector? Now that’s where I falter - I own neither, but I genuinely don’t know which one I prefer..
    And I’ve been trying to stop myself getting all the NewAge stuff I don’t own.. but I’m worried they will end up scaling up the carbots or something like that, though I do love those molds!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Reygn

Reygn Banned

While the proportions of MS Megatron are a bit off, their not MT Despotron off. NA Megatron is a feat engineering, but while MP-36 is gappy, NA Megatron lacks a back.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I choose the one I like better.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

I never even considered a lack of a back as a bad thing, since even Takara MP’s can’t get that right.. but I can totally see that being a deal breaker for some (inb4 “do you not display your figures from the front?”)
    I would say I think NA Megs has a fine back though, since it’s proportionally correct, and I think my mind just shuts out that it’s not super clean? Maybe?
    I’d be interested to see some proper side by sides of them both for sure.

That’s fair - but do things like designer aesthetics not bother you? Like NA Megs and MS Prime look fine together, but I’d wager that MS Megs and MS Prime will look better together because they share a designer and design sensibilities, so that makes picking certain figures over others more difficult for me!

• Like Like x 1