Newage Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Megawillbot, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Magnusfan Nujevad

Magnusfan Nujevad Well-Known Member

If the goal was show accuracy, then Rumble is and will forever be blue (unless they fixed it in the Japanese dub). Also, Prime does have a backpack, and the Transform Element and Magic Square versions still depict this. What he doesn't have is a backpack that is thick enough to look like he's wearing Sideswipe's Jetpack.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TheTornSideswipeFan

TheTornSideswipeFan Well-Known Member

Yet in several shots of the show, he has that hefty backpack, so it's just as accurate.

Of course, the only real answer to whether or not we can truly say one's more accurate than another is just to rewatch the series, because by the logic of toon accuracy, if it appeared for one second, it's officially accurate. Technically we also have an animation error in the Movie where Rumble and Frenzy are BOTH colored red, so technically we can have a red Rumble and it would be accurate by leeway of a 3 to 5 second clip

3. Magnusfan Nujevad

There are inconsistencies as everyone knows, so we have to go with what is more well known or is depicted more often, which is a backpack on the thin to medium size.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  4. TheTornSideswipeFan

Yet we still keep getting two-second to five-second on-screen items with our Masterpieces that aren't important to the figure but are referenced nonetheless. At this point it would be easier to just say each and every Toon Optimus is accurate to some part of the cartoon. NewAge just chose Ref Sheet Accurate Optimus while Takara chose Fat Back Optimus, and Magic Square chose Heroic Proportion Optimus and Transform Element chose a mix of the Takara and Magic Square. NewAge Optimus does proportions fine for some while you dislike the NewAge Proportions with many others as well,, while others may be turned off by what you consider "the more common" proportions for your Toon Legends Shelf while you will lord it above NewAge. If it really bothers you at this point, go to Show.Z Store, get the Magic Square 2.0, and use him to fill in your shelf if you really need Optimus to not have the chest space to match those Triple D's

5. Magnusfan Nujevad

Those items that appeared for only a few seconds aren't contradicting anything, unlike the size of his backpack. Also, you have no evidence that Newage and Takara did refer to the ref sheets when designing the figures instead of just being the outcomes of their design choices.
    As potential customers, we have the right to air flaws that could affect our buying choices, so drop that "if you don't like it, don't buy it" attitude.

6. TheTornSideswipeFan

And I have just as much right to defend what I enjoy as a potential customer, do I not? It's not like this is the only option and complaining one option isn't like the other is not going have the company scrap the design last second to match the opposition and appease the complaining fanbase, otherwise MP-44 wouldn't have happened and n

And technically speaking, we DO have clear signs that with the actual design sheets of MP-44, which had the fat backpack in mind that matches more with the Animation Ref Sheet but the head placement is further forward. They knew specifically what they were building off of, since Ref Sheets are the better option than looking at animation stills every 3.5 seconds. Newage, you have me there. It's third party, they aren't gonna show the design philosophy if they know it's IP Theft and results in them getting raided. But with Takara, it was very clear from the moment these sheets came to us they had more intent to match the proportions that were on a ref sheet than the Animation.

42341ae121d8087a072858a282466208.jpg

They clearly match the proportion of the Sunbow Model sheet you swear did not making it in the show, and the evidence seems to line better with the ref sheets than it just being a happy accident, otherwise we could very much have just gotten another MP-36 Back on Optimus with all the bits just begging to be hidden.

I'll drop the "don't like it, don't buy it" attitude for you though, but only after you step down from the high horse of every Optimus requiring to be a washboard from the back and the front and saying that some animation frames of Optimus are more acceptable than others when both are just as valid and people are just being uptight about it like the last two pages of this entire forum conversation has been.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Nightwing

Nightwing Well-Known Member

Dude, Magnusfan Nujevad is right about the backpack, no matter how much you want to do mental gymnastics to justify the contrary. MP-44 looks nice overall, but the backpack is unquestionably too big (not accurate to his typical cartoon appearance) in order to accomodate electronics.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I mean, Takara aren’t wizards. Prime’s cab is a cube that somehow has to compress down into a torso shape. Until someone invents real-life mass shifting, that cab has to go somewhere. On such a small figure like NewAge’s, a chunkier torso seems like a compromise for the transformation, rather than a deliberate design choice.

I mean, even official MP’s aren’t immune. Sunstreaker, Bumblebee, Arcee and even Megatron look a bit ropey when you spin them around, and that’s not accurate to any still or character model - it’s just compromise.

The NewAge torso is a bit thicker than a lot of people would like, it has a weird double chest thing going on, and has tabs sticking out of the sides of his body. That he looks relatively like a side-on view on a single character model sheet (if not necessarily his on-screen depiction) could be deliberate, but it could also have been forced on them by how the figure works.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Magnusfan Nujevad

Those drawings show a medium sized backpack, what we got was even bigger than the design showed. You have every right to defend the product that you like, just like i have every right to complain about it.

MP-44 side design copy.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. Magnusfan Nujevad

The thickness of the front wouldn't be much of a problem it there were flaps that hid the divide. It looked fine in the prototype pics, and we saw that it was already thick, but the top view images were revealed and the illusion was broken.

11. TheTornSideswipeFan

I'm not gonna debate on it being much bigger than some scenes, and what some artists drew over others in their shots, but the fact still remains that it still has some viable source to it with this ref sheet pic.
    42D14BD6-7047-4DD6-A5A7-6A33B9F7DD5B.jpeg

It's not like this was a sudden drawing that was made with the design team that was only made to justify MP-44 or NewAge's design, and don't get me wrong, even I don't like aspects of the designs, especially MP-44 as that figure has more issues with me than any other figure I have gotten in the last few months collecting, and I was collecting Earthrise at that time, but to simply dismiss this just because you didn't see the scenes in the animation and hold it over its head to say it's not accurate is not true, especially with how everyone had their way to draw Optimus.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Magnusfan Nujevad

I uploaded a comparison pic between MP-44 and the lineart which shows a much bigger backpack, are you just going to ignore that?

13. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    can the MP-44/prime backpack debate either moved to the MP-44 thread or private discussions?

all this NA prime has got is a massive chestpack. :p 

• Like Like x 14
  14. DoctorAlgy

DoctorAlgy all your Primes are belong to us

That, and I prefer actual David updates than an argument.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

I'm afraid this is the wrong forum, then :( 

• Like Like x 4
  16. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I can easily say this is not the worst place about this though, go on cars' forums to see what I mean.

• Like Like x 1
  17. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    I don’t care what y’all say. Fuck that backpack on mp44 and fuck that frontpack on NA OP V2.

• Like Like x 5
  18. LeoJ

LeoJ Well-Known Member

Agree excepts v1 not v2 lol

• Like Like x 3
  19. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    NA OP V2 won't have a frontpack, only this NA OP V1 does. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

No way, I'm not falling for this trick!