New Zero Tolerance Policy for Botcon

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by cbff, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    When I saw the wording your store was the FIRST thing I thought it was being targeted at.

2. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    I have to imagine this hurts smaller sites like CP who specialize and basically only sell Transformers.

3. blurrr-ed

blurrr-ed Well-Known Member

Ah i love this time of year. When the armchair lawyers and those in the fandom on the spectrum decide that simple english and rules provided by the convention organisers are either an attack on them, something they can legally get around using the dumbest of logic or simply stated because Hasbro is a bit jelly of those third party companies (plenty of whom produce issue ridden shit).

thank you, thank you for entertaining us every year without fail.

Given the fact that most of you probably dont plan to even attend the show, please keep the salty man tears coming because theres nothing more entertaining than a bunch of ignorant elitists telling people how a world they are not even involved in (conventions and multinational companies) run.

To hell with IP ownership, to hell with the rules of the show, give the greedy hordes all the third party toys because god knows its not like there will be anything else there to buy.

God bless every ridiculous one of you

Think, for one second, what do you want? Do you want to greedily buy all the 3P figures you can afford (you know, the ones you can buy ANY OTHER DAY OF THE YEAR), or do you want to spend a weekend with friends, buy some toys, enjoy some panels, see some reveals and appreciate this fandom? Some of you need to get your priorities straight.

And my thoughts go out to the dealers, you guys may take a hit on this, but hey, its probably the last one and TFCON is sure to welcome you.

Carry on

4. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    It is a bit like clockwork each year isn't? Contrary to popular belief "Don't sell illegal third party products at the official Transformers Convention" is not an unreasonable request.

5. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't go as far as calling them illegal lol. You're not going to be arrested for having 3P stuff.

6. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    They're IP infringing all the same. What the penalty for producing them is is irrelevant.

7. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

It is IP infringement. If you ever have a doubt, go look at the MLP fandom and consider how lucky the Transformers stuff is. Just saying, they've gotten proper cease and desists.

The Doujinshi segment is different due to the existence of those one day licences and the fact it all tends to happen around the single convention and all. Interesting stuff to check out if you want to find out about it, though I'd be hesitant to go because some of the Japanese conventions start at "Overcrowded" and only get worse. Well oiled machines, but so, so many countless thousands of people

8. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    That's bullshit. Thankfully they'll be gone next year. Even if there is no convention, I think freedom is better than tyranny of that level. They don't want Third Party products at their convention. That's fine, but their jurisdiction ends at the hotel doors.

Edited by 2005 staff - please refrain from personal insults & attacks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2016
  9. Honesty

News Credits:
    I guess you could argue that. But there are no tampos or names written on the boxes. What we call our figures is irrelevant .

If I call my official MP Prowl "smoochkins," that's no ones business except my own. What I call my 3P products is my own business as well.

If they were so illegal, places like BBTS wouldn't sell them, and in fact, would be in serious trouble.

And even if all NA retailers stopped selling them (which will never happen), we can buy from overseas.

Your personal beliefs are bleeding into words. 3P is here to stay, whether anyone likes it or not. Best get used to it.

10. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The intent of the law is to prevent others from profiting off someone else's hardwork and denying them potential cashcashdollars - which is exactly what the majority of 3p releases are doing...

Hasbro and takara have spent untold bazillions cultivating the brand and all aspects of it over the last 32 years.

11. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    And YOUR 3P bias bleeds into every post you make regarding official topics. Like it or not, your beloved 3P toys ARE gross infringement of copyrights, and very much illegal. If those companies were based in the US, Hasbro WOULD bring the hammer down on them. While I like some 3Ps, I will always, ALWAYS support official if it's an option, and I do favor HasTak stuff, but at the same time, I feel people shouldn't be banned from the convention for simply possessing 3P items, even if they weren't bought from the con itself.

12. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Tyranny? Really?

And in this case, "freedom" means "no one gets to meet on this level at all." That's not improvement.

Support TFCon all you like (seriously! Do!), but it's never going to be as big nor attract as many people as the official convention. There's a reason why people are trying to figure out ways to sell their wares despite the restrictions. I support such efforts. But that doesn't mean I'm against the rights of the rightsholder to make the restrictions, either.

(I should actually clarify... you point out that their jurisdiction ends at the hotel doors. That's certainly my understanding. Is something being said that says otherwise?)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2016
  13. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    What if Hasbro promote their new convention? Are Botcon going to kick them out?

;) 

14. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I'd say it's be a LOT different if Sidecutter was opening a temporary store front near Botcon and said 'hey, come to my shop of you want 3rd party toys, we're having a party there' instead of Botcon coming within blocks of Sidecutters store and saying 'you've been a dealer and supporter from day 1 but it is fobidden for you to mention that your store is nearby and sells toys we don't want inside our show...and no parties allowed, or we kick you out!'

15. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I was very much thinking about this when I read the first post... it wasn't until later that I thought about TFCon or the stuff that CP is trying to do.

16. Honesty

News Credits:
    Lol.

Do you follow my posts or something? You constantly try to single me out, when I barely ever speak to you/about you. You have some kind of thing for me, methinks. If you have some kind of personal problem with me, you can add me to your ignore list, or be an adult and send me a PM instead of trying to call me out over the Internet.

You never seem to see the "positive" posts I make about official stuff, but get hot and bothered anytime I stand up/talk good on 3P stuff.

When I replied to GaGa, I wasn't attacking him. He used words such as "illegal" (which again is a little too much in this instance) and I know he doesn't approve of 3P stuff. So that's that.

And these products are not being made in USA, so you needn't worry about it.

17. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    What personal beliefs? IP infringement is IP infringement. 3P may be here to stay... but apparently not at official conventions.

18. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I like 3P and I love how its helped reinvigorate our hobby. Having said that, all of this makes total sense.

Here's another way of looking at it, what if Mattel or some other US toy company started making Robo-Changers that looked amusingly enough like the G1 cast. They appear in WalMart or wherever, and they started outselling Hasbro toys.

"Hey, Hasbro can't compete, I don't care."

Yeah. There you go. Feel free to think that way. That's not much of an argument but an opinion.

HasTak has been awesome with how they've rebuilt and cultivated the brand since Beast Wars. We've had highs and lows and certainly not everything is for everyone but HasTak has done a damn good job with this franchise.

I recognize that Hasbro is just some big company out to make money and the franchise is just the mechanism to make money but I can't help and have loyalty to it all. That's just me. Carry on fighting this "injustice".

19. Honesty

News Credits:
    I apologize if I assumed if you collected official only. I shouldn't have, but I recalled at one time you saying something like that. Again, if I was mistaken, that's my fault.

But yes. Regarding this issue about the con, you are absolutely correct.

20. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    I do only collect official, but that's my choice. I don't look down on those who buy 3P but I also find the arguments that their production is not doing something wrong to be as thin as paper.