New Zero Tolerance Policy for Botcon

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by cbff, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

did you think about this statement at all or did you just let your nerd rage take over?

2. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

A communication disruption can only mean one thing

Invasion.

3. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you Sio Bibble!!! LOL!!!!

4. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh so much this.

5. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    brian and pete hate 3rd parties, you know that right?

6. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Even if they didn't, FunPublications was officially partnered with Hasbro. Regardless of how the people at FunPub would feel about it, it's ultimately Hasbro's call on that. Same would probably apply to the Hartmans though since they're out of collecting anyway it doesn't really matter to them I'm sure.

7. deltagod

deltagod Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "people at funub" is literally one person who doesn't give a fuck about screwing over fans or QC issues (giving one answer to me at botcon and giving me a different answer afterwards which consisted of the words too bad so sad) and secondly at most hasbro could pull the license..... oh wait!

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I have no doubt that Hasbro asked FunPub to try to limit third party stuff, but the degree to which they've pursued it has Brian Savage written all over it. TFSource has a direct account with Hasbro. If Hasbro were really that interested in cutting out vendors who sell third party products entirely, they could have canceled their account years ago.

9. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    all i can think to this is, they dont like the competition there are much better figures then they make comeing out around the same price point as there exclusives, i tell you now i would hate them to if it was takeing away from what i was doing

10. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like FunPub is the winner in this deal. They get rid of the dead weight they'd be hocking for years and got full price to boot.

TFSource better hope people want this set.

11. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like I said earlier though, I thought the 2005 sets sold out a few years ago...

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no idea where you said that. It sure wasn't from where my quote came from to my post.

13. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I was joking.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was more snark than serious. No 'nerd rage' here.

Relax.

15. Lody666

Lody666 Brother of Bruticus

News Credits:
    Looks like TF Source was shut down at the con

16. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thats how ish like "BBTS bought 400 megatrons!!! HE TELL ME!!!" gets started :lol 

17. GrimlockPrimal

GrimlockPrimal Mini-Dino

The thing that gets me here is that, really, there's the fact of trying to force this on toys sharing basic designs and nothing else.

Like, if I were a toy manufacturer that made a set of combining construction vehicles (a bulldozer, cement mixer, front-end loader, dump truck, crane and a excavator) that were green and purple, would that be enough to be called infringement and get me into hot water? Or would I need to sell it under a name similar to "Devastator"? Or would it need to have everything looking similar to the actual Constructicons?

It's too vague to say "everything that is similar to Hasbro property not made by Hasbro is banned", because what is the quantifier of "similar to Hasbro property"? Similar colors, design, names?

If it was a rule against selling knockoff products (like oversized versions of HasTak figures or something like that), I'd understand, but 3P hardly count as knockoffs; they're more like indie toys than anything.

Fighting is Magic was only hit because that was what Hasbro had to do legally; if they showed complacency in someone directly using their own IP on such major grounds, who knows how that would have affected their hold on the My Little Pony brand.

A third-party selling a group of green and purple construction vehicle robots which make a super robot with no explicit use of Hasbro's actual IP (those being the names "Decepticon", "Constructicon", "Devastator", etc.) is not something that's quite as easy to shut down in legal procedure, because you'd need to prove that they were similar enough to warrant the legal action in the first place; which needs more than just vague likenesses.

If anything, this is almost certainly a result of FunPub trying to show to Hasbro that they aren't getting complacent about 3P products, even though Hasbro...really can't do much of anything against said 3P products unless they could prove them to be direct violations of their own copyrights for them to actually shut down 3P production; and considering how small 3P is in comparison to Hasbro's own market, that's not something they'd bother with anyways.

Hasbro only C&D'd Fighting is Magic because it directly used names and trademarks they owned. Hasbro can't shut down TFC because they have a vaguely Devastator-like thing named Hercules.

18. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They shut down sales because they can't win in courts. In a convention run by Hasbro they can make up their own rules, even if they can't win legally.

19. GrimlockPrimal

GrimlockPrimal Mini-Dino

This is most likely FunPub trying to win face with Hasbro, in my opinion. Is Hasbro was really this strict on 3P, they'd definitely have gone after them like this much sooner than the last BotCon, just like what they did with Fighting is Magic.

So I'm unconvinced that this is Hasbro's doing, at least mostly.

20. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    It's not really that vague and there's really no debating it. Transforming robots not made or licensed by Hasbro or TakaraTomy are not allowed to be sold at the official Hasbro convention. That includes both 3P and KO toys, for the sake of the rule there is no distinction. (And honestly the vendors know all of this already, and would have hard time convincing anyone that they didn't know the difference between official and unofficial toys.)