New Zero Tolerance Policy for Botcon

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Bed Bugs, Mar 31, 2016.

1. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    No, he's saying that Walmart sells KO figures (MARS robots) that are both Transformers and Megazords (being KO'd).

For example, Voyager Ratchet (slightly upscaled) and Astro Megazord (black) and White Tigerzord (also black/grey) are all toys that fall under the MARS robots line, and are KOs.

2. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    3P are not competing products... they're direct ripoffs of Transformers characters, using the brands own property to sell toys. They aren't even NEARLY comparable to Power Rangers/Super Sentai mecha.

3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Now, you're just ignoring all of what I said because you CHOOSE to. That part was an example, the rest of my post is what it's really about.

My post was about their actions, not so much the product, it just happened to be mentioned because it was being used as an example.

I shouldn't have to spell this out for you. You're a grown adult.

4. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    No, I read your post but I'm not responding to the rest of your post, I'm commenting on your example. The rest of your post doesn't change the fact that you used a terrible example that makes no sense in context. Hasbro/FunPub wanting to eliminate the the selling of 3P products at their own official convention is not the same as them trying to stop an independent store from selling products with the same concept. As an adult, you should be able to see the difference in the two situations.

5. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it's "competing products" that they're talking about. Power Rangers are able to be sold at Botcon as well as other toy lines. It's things that they believe violate IP. The 3P items may or may not legally infringe on IP, but FP/Hasbro can make the rules, even if it seems arbitrary to some.

I think it's reasonable for 3P items to not be allowed in the dealer room. I think not being allowed to post about 3P on the official room trading board is understandable. I disagree with FP dictating what can and can not be done outside of the convention halls.

Those who want change will be getting it soon, it may or may not be the change some people want.

6. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    I'm genuinely questioning your reading comprehension.

Did you actually read my post, or are you guessing what the words are?

I'm not being funny, I'm being 100% legitimate here, because my post is clear as crystal, especially after I corrected the example.

I was addressing Sidecutter's post in which he tells us that Botcon is dictating to people that they can't hold a competing event of the same type or sell infringing products near Botcon at the time it's in operation.

The location in which some of this was going to happen is TWO blocks away from the hotel/convention and therefore not under any legal restrictions to follow Botcon's whims and desires. Sidecutter's thing wasn't going to take place on Botcon property or at the hotel in which it's being hosted. SC's get together is taking place offsite, away from the hotel's property and he's still being dictated to by Botcon because of their Napoleonic complex.

If SC was having this get together on the Botcon floor, or in the hotel where the convention is taking place, I'd be in complete agreement with you, but that's not the case here.

He's literally telling us they have to wrangle the days to avoid pissing off Botcon, even though it's happening on someone else's property, that has nothing to do with Botcon, nor is it under their control or power, yet they're dictating what people can or cannot do in the surrounding areas of the city because it might infringe on the product they're selling.

This is where my example DOES make sense. Walmart sells items that are direct competition to Hasbro's stuff. There's probably a Walmart within driving distance, if not walking distance. Do you really think Walmart would bend to Botcon's will if they walked in and said "Until we're gone, you can't sell these items. Once we leave, you can do whatever you want."

They'd be laughed out of the store at best, forcibly removed more likely.

Does any of that make more sense to you now? It was clear before, but hopefully it's clearer now.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You don't have to justify the third party items you have in your collection. Hasbro and FunPub cannot come into your house and take them.

Wait. They can't, right?!

8. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Please read my post above this one. I'm not the one who's in need of flash cards. I get what you and Starscream, both, are saying. I don't disagree with that. My entire intent was what you addressed at the bottom of your post.

It was plain as day, it was never confusing, I never said Botcon should have to put up with it on their property or at the convention. I said the surrounding businesses shouldn't have to give in to Botcon for any reason since they have ZERO right to ask local businesses to not sell stuff they don't like.

There's a big difference. I know both of them, so do you.

9. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    It's still not the same. Your example, in completion, needs you to consider 3P products as nothing more than "competing products". But that's not what they are and that's all I'm saying. So yes, Im not sure if they actually can do it in accordance to American laws, but I can totally understand them throwing around there weight when it comes to 3P sales profiting from Botcon.

10. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    For the love of flying fuck! *facepalms* It's not all you're saying and it's not all I'm saying! There's so much more to my post, you admit, but you're ignoring it.

You know what? Okay. I'm done talking to you. You know exactly what I'm talking about, you're just doing this to be a pain in the ass and you've succeeded.

Block list addition in 1...2..

11. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    Feel free to block me as that's no skin off my teeth, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

You're saying that Botcon trying to shut down sales of 3P toys in and around Botcon is taking things too far and isn't ethical or fair and that if it was another situation, like if they were demanding that Walmarts in the area stop selling competing products for the duration of the convention, no one would take the request seriously.

What I'm saying is that it's not the same thing as your example because what they're trying to do is stop people using their official convention to profit off of toys that infringe on their IPs, not compete by selling toys with a similar concept. Let's not play dumb... that is exactly what meet-ups around the convention for the purpose of buying or selling 3P is (especially those set up by Hobby stores or other merchants).

Now I'm not sure if Botcon, whether it be FunPub or Hasbro that made these rules, has any legal right to do this, but I can sure as hell understand why they'd try. Hasbro is usually pretty damn gracious with its ignoring of 3P products and this is just one weekend where they're saying "keep them the hell away".

12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I don't get it either.

@starscream Gaga: the voice of reason! :) 

13. shellformer

shellformer @

Because they enjoy it. Creativity is a fundamental aspect of humanity. People like to make music or paint or sculpt because they are emotionally and intellectually fulfilling activities and only need to monetize these activities because we live in a system that demands that you have money for food and shelter.

14. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Indeed, it is as simple as that. Should the idea that you can own an idea itself be an idea you can own? Ha. Capitalism and Democracy are far from perfected.

Legally the bottom line is that since Hasbro has never gone after any of these products or companies in any formal fashion, they are simply nothing more than competing products, same as Power Rangers, etc. We can assume at this point that is why they haven't gone after them, because they can't. A judge in any case from here on out would strongly question why a company that has acknowledged the existence of said companies many times waited a decade to do anything about it. They aren't illegal products. In fact, ironically, Hasbro has likely destroyed their own case here by throwing names and personalities around like they don't matter - who is Bumblebee exactly? Look at the Wiki. He is nothing more than a yellow robot - so are all yellow robots violating Hasbro's IP?

Thus the policy, even if you subtract the unethical business it is emanating from, is little more than sour grapes. Guess what 3rd party sales hurt the most? Club sales. Which is awesome, by the way. 3rd parties act as a default fan club. Way more bang for your buck.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I can't tell if you are hopelessly naive, or are just full of shit.

"Has nothing to do with BotCon"? It has EVERYTHING to do with BotCon. Why do you think it's located two blocks away and exactly during the time BotCon is running? OF COURSE it has to do with BotCon. They are 100% relying on the consumers they know BOTCON will bring into the area at that exact time.

So, please. Enough with the nonsense.

I like 3P product, but BotCon is a business, and they can decide who they want to do business with. "Legal restrictions?" LOL

What a dumb argument.

16. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

If it's deemed officially illegal and they wish to follow through, I'm sure they could track all sales with American stores...:D 

I thought FunPub was out, and it's now completely done by Hasbro, so it's to be expected isn't it? This could be the start of them tightening their IP.

17. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    they might. in which case (if you didn't invite them inside) you can legally bash them in the face with hockey stick without legal consequence. (ps; put some chilly on the stick, so it hurts more)

18. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't go to Botcon this year, but this policy honestly wouldn't really affect me. I don't see it as a shopping trip. For most things I buy in the dealer room, it's stuff I don't normally see elsewhere. Older figures, usually.

3P figures I buy online, so nothing would really change... Too bad for those that are disappointed. I also feel for the dealers who were hoping to sell 3P figures.

So.... Is this the first Botcon in a long time that NOTHING was slipped out of the factory and leaked in advance? I can't believe we're days away and not a single thing has turned up..

19. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    You're right, the alleged Megatron, the souvenir packs, the troop builders...nothing has leaked yet.

20. Tryptlock

Tryptlock Well-Known Member

I must have missed hearing about that one. What happened?