New Video - Transformers The Movie New Trailer for 1986 Film

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Joe Moore, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Lion

Lion Aloha

Ebay:
    I loved the Gladiator/LOTR music, it worked very well. The voices were alright. I agree w/ one of the other comments, that it might have given to much away. Devastators merging cut off about right, but Unicron probably should have just started transforming, then cut off to something else. To bad that music isn't in the movie, I'm hyped to watch it again....maybe someone can edit that music in...???

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    First off, I want to thank everyone so far for the comments and the critiques. I'm going back through the video as we speak and investigating which areas need fine tuning.

Lupis Convoy - the voice of Daniel was my 11-year-old cousin, Michael Graham. I was hitting a point of impatience in regards to finishing the video (i.e., if I didn't finish it, it'd sit for the next 6 months on my hard drive) so I figured, "Eh - he's a kid, he'll sound ok as a Daniel fill in." I agree, David Mendelhall he ain't, but I think he did a great job for the 2-or-so minutes of voice acting lessons I gave him. :D 

Greyryder - That's ol' Peter Cullen. I didn't redo Optimus Prime's voice. Only Peter Cullen can do Optimus Prime's voice. :rock 

I think the biggest resounding critique I'm hearing is that the trailer gives away too much. I agree; when I kept looking at the finished product, I felt the same way. However, I was aiming more for a "epic tapestry" effect then a trailer that gives you a brief overview of the film's plot. Remember the Star Wars: Episode 1 previews, where they showed a lot of random scenes from the movie and we just didn't know what to expect? That was the effect I was shooting for.

Now, showing all of the 1986/Season 3 characters? Yeah, I admit that I pretty much blew the Season 3 load and just showed damn near everyone from post-movie...but this would have been a tiny-ass teaser if I had just used the 1984/85 Season 2 Transformers. :thumbs2: 

Thanks again all, and please - if anyone else has more to add, please please please check out the trailer and drop me some feedback here!!

3. Midnight Studio

Midnight Studio Banned

Nice job, but those voices.....

4. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    Very nice. The voices were a slight distraction but for your first time... WOW.

5. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy Señor Member TFW2005 Supporter

Great work..

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually think the voices sounded great. Some better than others, but because the movie has been inbedded into our minds, we notice them more. I showed it to my wife, and she thought it looked and sounded great. Didn't even notice the voices.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Video was awesome. Music was great. Voices...well not horrible, but not great either. The original voices should have been used.. Other than that it was great. If you do a redux version with real voices let me know.

8. TerraEsperZ

TerraEsperZ Active Member

Like other people have said, this wouldn't be as effective as a real trailer since it shows too much, but it definitely succeeds at suggesting a much more epic film than what it ended up being. Great work!

9. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    The voices are distracting only because they don't sound like the voices we remember from the movie, but aren't bad per se.

Excellent choice on the music.

If it's intended as a trailer for a movie we've seen, then I like the choice on what was in it; but as a trailer for a movie we haven't seen, I don't like that it gives so much away (that's the reason I skipped on movies like The Island).

I understand the effect you were going for (the Episode I trailer), but Prime's death and Unicron's transformation are like Qui-Gon's death ... it shouldn't be in a trailer.

As to the 'too much '86 characters in the trailer' ... that I loved.

If this were my first glimpse at the movie, coming from season 2, with all the new season 2 characters and the Aerialbots, Stunticons, Protectobots and Combaticons, I would've been like: "cool! new characters! what they transform into?! who are they?! GIVE MORE!" :D 

-airfox

10. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Awesome trailer. Great job!

As for spoiling it, I don't really mind too much, as so many films nowdays use deleted scenes and such for the trailers...if I didn't already know the film inside and out, I don't think I would know what to expect anyway.

Nice choice on the music. It gave it a overall darker tone (as if TFTM wasn't already dark enough) and a more intense emotional impact.

As for the voices...I liked some more than others. The one thing I noticed that I think would improve the new voices is adjusting the pitch on them. For example, Springer was really REALLY close, the pitch just needed to be a little lower.

Overall, great work and quite possibly the best trailer I've ever seen for anything TF-related.

11. Blaster

Blaster Australian Ghetto Blaster

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Nice work, I really liked it. Looking forward to seeing more from you :) 

12. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

One thing I liked is the Assumption that we (the audience) know who Unicron is. When the movie came out it was like Uni-who? And of couse it was almost comidic that he transformed too.

10 years of valient efforts by writers like Furman and,,,,well,,,,, Furman. Have made Unicron 10x the threat he was in the movie. The 1986 movie he was a transforming planet. Now? This is the purpouse of your existance, Transformers, you must stop Unicron from destryoing all of existance!

Chaos Bringer indeed. :peoples: 

13. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Good job overall :) 

I think you now and then showed too much though. I think Prime's death could be included, because that line for passing the Matrix fitted well with an epic bit, showing a newer generation take over from the old. (Though I thought he said "old friend" in the original line as well ;) ). Same for the Galvy leaving Unicron bit, it doesn't show Galvatron, but it does give an impending doom vibe (especially as you had Megs before that).

The Autobotcity and Springer bits (quote/Wreck-Gar fight) fitted the/a trailer as well, as they give a sense of action but don't give a conclusive answer to how, however, since you showed so much of Springer they put him in as the central character of the movie though, where I think Hot Rod should have had a bigger role in the trailer. I think Unicron would have been better left out as it's the summon of the movie or at most flashed in a 1 second shot as you had Magnus exploding. Enough to see something bad happens, too little to understand what just happened. Rodimus with the Matrix in his hands would give away too much as you will know halfway the movie that Roddy will get it. The Spike/Daniel bit worked well. The Grimlock/Quint/door bit worked well.

Instead of the transformed Unicron, like the bit where you see him pierce Moonbase 1, you could have shown bits of the opening scene with Arblus instead and have gotten the same effect, while only giving away the opening of the movie and reserving that great transformed bit for the movie. :) 

Possibly you could have used something like:

"As many pass away"

with first Brawn getting shot, then a quick 1 second flash of Decepticons drifting out of Astrotrain

"A new generation steps forth to fight"

With some more fighting Autobots from the new season

"Till all are one"

Then cutting to black or something like that. Then either stopping or continuing with the dramatic Autobotcity fighting bits. :)  But I think it was a good video overall anyway. >.>

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I got the same page Devilzfan got , wtf.

Oh well , will keep trying until I get a peep at it. Looking forward to it.
    My comments will be lame though since Im not very educated in the video dept.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

You have an excellent grasp of what makes a great, modern, movie trailer. It kicks the living crap out of the actual trailer in terms of pacing, and indeed does it so well that you convinced me, for the short while the trailer ran, that the movie was actually good. So, I think, in those terms, it is *fantastic*.

My criticisms are;

1. Voices were way too quiet. I can cope with them being different, in fact I thought they were pretty good. Quiet, I can't :) 

2. Choice of font. Bad.

But I really had to dig deep with those crits.

Personally, I think you got it pretty much bang on. Kudos.

16. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Great work man..I like it alot.. :) 

17. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

That sent chills down my spine again. I watching now as I type.

18. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

NIIIIIIIIIICE! Unicron's voice was done really well without changing it.

19. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice work! I liked it...and as for being your first vid...WOW. Keep it up, you will only get better :D 

20. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I hope he doesn't mind me answering, but I'm proud to say Ops used Vegas Video. :D