New to comics, where do I start?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Puck Hockey, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

I've just got myself the first volume of More than Meets the Eye and I love it. I'll be grabbing Robots in Disguise and Last Stand of the Wreckers soon, but I'm curious about the rest of IDW's gig. But there's a ton of comics to look through and despite my best efforts, I can't figure out where to start. Can someone help or direct me? Thanks!

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You could start at the beginning; the hardcover volumes do a pretty good job keeping things in chronological order.

However, having read such highlights as LSotW and MTMTE, the rest really pales in comparison. If you wanted to be, let's say, expedient, you could just read LSotW as a standlone episode, and start with RID and MTMTE knowing that the story occurs after the war in which Megatron disappears and Optimus retires.

3. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

There were alot of good Spotlights early on. And a few great moments through what most people see as bland or bad.

It all depends on your preference. Do you like to be a completist, or do you just want 'the good stuff?'

4. Puck Hockey

lol well, I usually am a completest but the sheer amount of comics to cover is beyond my interest. So asides from some Spotlights, I'm not missing too much? Thanks guys.

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Blurr's and Drift's come to mind, mostly because of Casey Coller's great artwork. Spotlights Galvatron and Sideswipe are also fairly interesting, but they'll suck you into the whole Galvatron/Nova Prime/Dead Universe/double you tee eff arc, which could be useful as background for RID and MTMTE.

6. Puck Hockey

Are the recent G.I. Joe crossovers worthwhile?

7. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

If you have the time and the money, just get the hardcover volumes. I'm a bit of a completist too, and I think it helps put the most recent run into perspective. TF comics have come a long way, and it'd help you appreciate what we have now if you got the entire history of what came before in IDW, because a lot of it is still relevant.

8. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    if you're not going for completion make sure you grab Issue #22 & #23 of the recent ongoing series though, you'll want those.

9. Puck Hockey

lol alright, thanks. I guess I've decided that I'll be slowly accumulating the hardcover volumes for as long as it takes in tandem with new MTMTEs and RIDs.

10. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    To expand upon that, the flashback scenario from those two issues is picked up on again in the current MTMTE storyline.

In terms of material relevant to other stuff, Spotlight Kup is very good and is brought up in LSOTW, so definitely worth reading, and Spotlight Wheelie is picked up on in one of RID's current storylines, and would probably help understand it, so check that out.

Finally, if you get LSOTW, I would highly recommend the recent hardcover edition. It's full of excellent bonus material, including a prose story that introduces a setting and characters that show up in the second volume of MTMTE. Well worth the money.

11. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Maximum Dinobots was a good read as well.