New TF display cabinet smells bad. Solution?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by blaynescott, Oct 18, 2013.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My parents acquired a huge wood/glass 3x2x6 foot cabinet from the Salvation Army this week, and gave it to me to store/display my larger figures in.

This means it's intended for mostly MP, 3rd party, and other larger figures. This also means they're figures I can't afford to be destroyed by a foul-smelling cabinet.

Currently, this cabinet smells like a combination of "old house", with a dash of cigarette smoke. I cleaned the inside with Green Cleaner and Windex, but it's still there.

I currently have some coffee grounds (as in, ground up coffee beans, non-brewed) sitting in a plate in the top half, as I heard that can absorb smells. There's no ventilation in the cabinet, so when the door is closed, the air is pretty much sealed in there.

I'm a bit paranoid about that cottage-like smell seeping into any plastics / ruining any figures that I might put in there - so: advice? How has anyone approached cleaning older furniture intended to display their collections?

Also - anything that I should avoid while trying to clean this would be appreciated (products that destroyed the wood, etc.) :) 

2. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    The coffee bean thing cleanses your palette (not the right term). I don't think it absorbs smells.

Try baking soda and lots of dry ventiliation. There are desicants too to help off gas the cabinette like silica gel.

3. tfparodies

tfparodies Well-Known Member

Potty train those figures.

Keep the door open as much as you can to air things out and use air fresheners or something like Fabreeze (sp?)

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Febreeze? There's also a house version of something like odor eaters for musty basements that maybe would work?

5. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keep the door open. Sanitize it in Pinsol and Bleach than let it air dry. Once air dry, spray it with air freshener and disinfectant and continue to air dry.

6. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Lemon oil once a week for a few months should take the smoke smell out. Dunno about the old house smell.

7. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I also agree that you need to keep cleaning it. Wash it down and really try to get the corners and cracks clean. Maybe think about steaming cleaning it, if you don't think it'll warp or damage the wood.

8. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

If possible, leave it outside a few days let fresh air hit it

9. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'd try febreeze or baking soda