New Takara Products - Possible first look at Studio Series 86 arcee and dotm bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Fc203, May 9, 2022.

1. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought that was a pose saying "I caught a Sharkticon THIS big! Honest!" :p 

Well, still not that many. This is technically just the 4th G1 Arcee toy in this size category, really. We have Generations, TR (who is really just a remold of Blurr though), Earthrise, and now this.
    Sure, there is Animated and Cyberverse Arcee, but while they both take inspiration from the G1 design, there are large differences too, such as their legs being less feminine.
    Then there is the Masterpiece too, but that is a different size class.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PoptiOptimime

PoptiOptimime Well-Known Member

upload_2022-5-10_10-22-38.png upload_2022-5-10_10-22-51.png

Odd that there's two different heels here....
    EDIT: OHHHHH; Just realized that the pic was a comparison pic :p  I was going to say how the T30 looked great (thinking it was new SS Arcee)

3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IIRC, it was either said here or in a FB group (I can't remember now, been a while.) that it was supposed to be the ER mold with new paint apps because Takara-Tomy wouldn't give Hasbro access to the T30 mold. Budgetary constraints, from what I can remember. (Anyone who *does* know, including leakers, please feel free to fill in the gaps here. I could be misremembering, I may be on target, I won't know without more help here.) If that's true, my guess is it was because TT had this in the cards for a while now and wanted them to just wait until this one was done.

The lower part of the backpack is new, and the waist downward is new, but the upper torso, head, arms, upper backpack, and weapon are T30 reuses. So I'd say it's a remold.

This.

This is not shared engineering. This is a remold. This is where people get hung up on things and won't let go and won't learn and it's partially Has/Tak's fault.
    Remolds/retools:
    -CW Silverbolt/Scattershot
    -CW Hot Spot/Onslaught
    -CW Motormaster/Optimus Prime
    -POTP Hun-Grrr/Selects Snap Trap/Turtler

Shared engineering:
    -Hun-Grrrr (borrowed from Silverbolt/Scattershot)

SS86 Arcee falls into the remold/retool camp as she utilizes a good number of parts from the original T30 toy (much like Scattershot reused most of Silverbolt), but comes with a bunch of new parts (much like Scattershot's new wings, new nosecone, new head). She's not shared engineering at all.

The shoulders and arms are indeed T30 toolings. Gun, as well.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Phenotype

Phenotype Well-Known Member

Arcee looks good but I’m just not sure I need her. The ER figure is close enough and from a distance on my shelf I’m honestly not sure I’d be able to tell the difference.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cosmoglide

Cosmoglide NA W4Y W3 60

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    thanks for the explanation. everything from the chest bit down looks new to me, but at the end of the day, it's not even the most important thing to me in all of this. The part that bakes my noodle is that this new one is every bit the shellformer that Earthrise was and people are jumping for joy because I guess the shell looks nicer? 3 Arcees, all shellformers, but "Earthrise is crap" and these other 2 are awesome because "reasons".

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The way I see it, most people think ER is crap because it's a shell former and partsformer while T30 and this new one only shell form. Personally, the G1 Arcee design is just kinda crap overall.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Tracks is close but at least it actually transforms and it looks good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 7
  9. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    I completely get where you're coming from. I think the problem *is* that they waited so long to give us an actual Arcee figure based on G1. Part of what keeps G1 alive and kills other parts of the franchise is that they wait so dang long to give the fans what they've been clamoring for all these years.

It really took them THIRTY years to make an Arcee for G1 fans? C'mon. They could've done something in G2. Black Arachnia and Airrazor are proof that kids were open to female figures. Energon Arcee and Cybertron Override are other examples. They could've given her to us in Classics in 2006. Maybe not the T30 mold, but something.

I'm not sure why they drag things out for so long (and none of us are getting any younger, so we're going through divorces and mid-life crises among other horrible things) and all of a sudden open the flood gates and give us everything everywhere all at once. And some of us are now saying "Whoa! WHOA! I'm good, man. I'm good! OKAY QUIT CHUCKING THEM AT ME, GORRAM IT!" Feast, famine, it's insane.

The RID, UT, Animated fans are over on the side saying "Yup. Screwed again."

• Like Like x 6
  10. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I have Takara Legends Arcee, which I love except for lack of waist swivel.

I'm definitely liking this.

But, makes me wonder, this looks very similar to the previous Arcee's. Do we need a G1 Arcee ever again?

Now I'm eager to see SS86 Ironhide.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree with this. But personally I'm going to stick with the ER Arcee I think. I wrote a lot in the picture threads of my collection how a feature of WFC lines versus its predecessor lines is that the figures are very much made to go together with a common design aesthetic, sculping and paint, and that introducing figures outside of the lines to it breaks the consistency. More than ever before we're buying parts of a wider set. You really can't substitute say, Kingdom Ultra Magnus with Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus.

Before ER Arcee I used the Takara Legends Arcee release of the Generations mold. She looked good, but the subtle sculpting, paint job and scale differences just had her look out of place compared to the rest of the 1986 crew. ER Arcee is made to go with the rest of them and just looks better.

I never understood the ire towards ER Arcee. That she's a parts forming fold up action figure? She had different goals than Generations Arcee. One of the key driving aspects of the entire WFC line was fidelity to cartoon modens in Robot Mode. Even at MP levels of engineering, doing that with having great engineering and vehicle mode is especially hard for Arcee. I really took ER Arcee as Hasbro saying "this is the Arcee if you want it to look best with the rest of your WFC figures. If you want the better Transforming toy, Generations Arcee is out there.". They're kind of doing the same thing with Legacy Menasor. If you want cartoon Menasor, legacy is your guy. If you want scramble city functionality, CW Menasor is out there.

This new Arcee tries real hard to be the middle ground as you said. The enhancements over the baseline Generations mold are notable and appreciated and probably as far as Hasbro/Takara can go with the character at this scale. I think, unlike Hot Rod, putting her at a Voyager price point for additional engineering wouldn't accomplish much more than this does.

But she's still stylistically off it seems like. The inherited Generations parts are out of sync and a little bit of scale with the rest of WFC. The Generations figures proportions are off compared to the ER Arcee. Maybe in hand, a more matte paint job compared to the prior releases of the base mold will change that opinion, but I think ER captures the character's robot mode better even if the new SS86 release is the more comprehensive transformer.

As you can see from the picture below, I even got the 3P backpack for ER Arcee. She's a full blown action figure now, not a transformer. I'm honestly fine with that (though I think she l ooked good with just her half-backpack pre-addon, minus the "skate board". Arcee is the hardest Transformer to turn into a toy and since I keep her in robot mode anyway I can make an exception.

Hopefully this opens the way up giving G1 Arcee a new design free of the constraints of her impossible animated design.

IMG_6117.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  12. gregles

gregles quintesson

I’m personally pleased with how arcee has turned out as they seem to have cherry picked the best design and aesthetic choices of the recent arcee toys to give us the best of both worlds. Sure it’s still a shell-former that’s unavoidable with the design decisions made in the 80’s cartoon.

I know I’ve said this here before but as they are redoing recent designs I would love them to attempt G1 Ultra Magnus again as the earth rise one looks embarrassing compared with all of the other G1 86 movie cast we have recently had. Perhaps do it the same toy size as the Rodimus Prime toy so they can channel some more resources into making both modes look brilliant and they can keep the parts-forming to a tasteful level.

• Like Like x 3
  13. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Well this updated Arcee certainly raises my hopes for the SS86 Ironhide (if we're still getting it).

• Like Like x 2
  14. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    I could be looking at it wrong, but it looks like in the first photo of Breakdown that they're trying to show you that you can close up the cape on his backpack and in the second photo showing the cape as intended. If we can close it up into a backpack, that would be awesome.

After seeing this, I'm not sure SS86 Ironhide will be the actual Voyager everyone was hoping he'd be. I'm starting to think it'll be the ER mold with all of the Nonnef parts (but official of course) and new feet to make the van mode more cohesive. Whether it's a new Voyager Class mold or a reuse pushed into Voyager Class territory in the manner I described, I'm down to buy either.

• Like Like x 2
  15. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

She was $15, they got prices up to that by packing in a whole comics issue, but this will likely be $25 or even MSRP $26 by the time it comes out in the US which is bonkers when it also has several less paint apps and hollowness on the thighs.

True her waist does have flat sides in a lot of shots, but it's not all chopped up like this figure.
    arcee.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. Cosmoglide

Cosmoglide NA W4Y W3 60

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    ER only partsforms if you want her to. She's designed to transform with everything connected.
    At least I didn't have to mod the crap out of Arcee to make her robot mode not fall apart because nothing below the waste will stay tabbed together. At least I didn't have to sand a bunch of tabs on her to make her transformation less terrifying? Yall can whatabout Tracks all day long. I'm not some weird outlier in thinking he's trash.

17. CactusReporter

CactusReporter Semi-Recognizable Leaker

News Credits:
    Well the mold request had him listed as a new mold. Not a partial of T30 like Arcee's mold request form specifically stated.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 The Imperator

I really wish Sideways' face wasn't entirely silver, kinda washes out the detailing. Otherwise, he looks nice.

19. Rodimus Maximus

Rodimus Maximus Liege Ultimo

Hmmm, cool, that was fast (for the full reveal). Ok, so no more robo-curves, but ankle pivots and (clouds parting with Angel choir singing): waist swivel!! Ok, I'll get it. I admit, I still love my Tak T30 and all it's hilariously nerdy hentai'ish design elements, but...this SS86 does look good and screen accurate, and I do loves me some screen accuracy. The flat side panel on the feet is a bit of an eye-sore to me but it's still better than the pink spatulas on ER/K.

I'd taken the info of SS86 retools of Ironhide and Ratchet with a pinch of salt, but seeing that they went and remake Arcee already, I believe them now. Not happy about it, because I like the ER versions just fine, but there it is. Since they're making two characters that got shot up, I'm hoping we see Brawn soon, and Windcharger.

• Like Like x 1
  20. C16

C16 Space Nomad

I doubt that very much. The Nonnef parts swapped parts out rather than adding anything. Retooling Ironhide so his feet and wheels are more Earthly wouldn't push him into a Voyager pricepoint.