New stock photos of Titans Return Leader Class Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Aurawind

Aurawind Lazy Headmaster

His alt mode is updated, it's not a cassette player boombox, it's a smartphone dock with speakers. The "cassettes" are smartphone tablets. His new alt mode makes sense, while keeping his G1 concept.

The grey parts on the front are speakers, it's the kind that has a metal cover with lots of tiny holes.

Attached Files:

2. robh

robh Decepticon

don't understand this. Why would they do a G1 version of leader class soundwave. MP soundwave already superbly fits the bill (and looks 10x better). If they were planning on doing a TR Soundwave, why not change it up a bit?

3. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    It's called double dipping.
    It's cheaper to make plus they're betting on us being stupid.

4. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I'll probably be getting this, but only cause I see it as a (very slight) improvement on the FoC version we have now. But it'll be just as much of a placeholder as the FoC was, as I'll be hoping Hasbro will eventually offer us something I'll find more acceptable, ideally a Voyager.

5. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    It's hardly even that G1 styled. Everybody complained for years about not having a music device Soundwave with cassettes, now we get one and suddenly everybody's just like "Buh, buh, buh, haSBLOW!!!!!1111"

6. AkibaSilver

AkibaSilver Time Traveller

Or maybe it's good for kids/collectors who can't afford masterpiece or haven't been able to pick it up. Or is it stupidity to have not bought it several years ago, before some people were even collecting?

7. Masktique

Masktique #1 Sideways Fan

News Credits:
    I like how he looks, so I'll get him, even if he doesn't fit in anywhere in my collection.

8. MrSoundwave64Z

MrSoundwave64Z MP Armada Megatron needs to happen...

Twitter:
    Music Label and Masterpiece Soundwave are good enough for me. This is an easy pass.

9. shin03

shin03 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Severely disappointed in this.

10. bambinoprime

bambinoprime Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Usually I'm not like this, but I'm hoping my issues with this toy aren't anything that Reprolables can't fix. I just hope the set isn't too much "replicate the original toy's stickers" and more "make him look more like Soundwave"

11. robh

robh Decepticon

the bot mode is absolutely G1 styled. The alt mode is pretty close, it's just wider. And I never mentioned anything about hasblow.. you did. I'm just puzzled.

I guess, but there is zero originality to it. These leaders are probably going to be close to 50 bucks, which is only slightly less than I paid for MP soundwave + 5 cassettes. IMO they should have just reissued it at a reasonable price to solve the secondary market problem.

Likely, they are just trying to cash grab for the collectors that "gotta catch 'em all" so they will double-dip. Thankfully, I am not one of them.

short of the stupid part, yes. Agreed.

12. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Looks fine to me. To me he is a pare of portable bluetooth speekers for your cellphone to connect to. Speakers are still a thing, so this is completely fine.

I wish they had given him two battery guns instead of a repainted Blaster Rifle.

13. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz #BringBackNationalDex

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Not me. As I mentioned many times before I like my figures big. Plus it'll be an acceptable sub for Masterpiece Soundwave which I missed out on.

14. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    Looks great! But not giving him his iconic rifle, and instead reusing Blaster's is damn lazy.

15. Transmorph633

Transmorph633 Drifter

News Credits:
    Personally I think I am much more excited for Soundwave than I am for Blaster. I am going to get both but Soundwave just looks like the overall better figure.

16. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    Dammit!

17. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Maybe because they know like most mp releases some had a hard time finding mp soundwave or never saw him at all. Soundwave was the only mp I never saw myself at retail. I saw his shelf tag once without a figure and never again. I might pick him up sometime online but I don't like shopping online anymore than I have to and some don't like doing it at all, or cant for whatever reason. This looks like a good figure to me I think the only thing off about it is the large clear door, but adding some blue paint on the sides of that will fix it right up.

18. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Fresh Marvel G1 Fan

Masterpiece collectors, although vocal here, don't make up a very large portion of the Transformers market, I'd wager. Of all Hasbro's Transformers sales adult collectors comprise 35%, and the percentage within that 35% that religiously collect every Masterpiece toy, although I don't think anybody has the real data, I'd wager is much much smaller.

Sometimes I feel like some posters don't realize that the couple thousand or so people, and really few hundred or so people that actually are always posting, on this website make up such a small sample size of both the fandom and Hasbro's whole customer base that even our unified opinion as a community isn't a particularly accurate representation of either group.

Masterpiece Soundwave hasn't been on shelves in the U.S. or Japan for at least a couple years now, and although some people in this thread might find it to be an alien concept, there are a lot of collectors (and that 65% size block of kids who the unified Combiner/Titan Master/etc gimmicks really exist to increase the shelf appeal towards) who just simply don't buy any Masterpiece toys, just mainline and Generations stuff.

Masterpiece toys are such a specific appeal for a specific demographic, that it really doesn't make much sense to compare a product designed for a much broader variety of consumers to a Masterpiece toy.

For cost and preference reasons, I only collect Generations/Classics style toys and my only real gripe with this is its size. I'd have preferred a Voyager, but worrying about scale and collecting Transformers will turn me gray and bald so I'll just buy it and enjoy it (since it seems like a good figure to me so far) despite it's size. Maybe a lumbering Soundwave will give my Decepticons a cool vibe.

19. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    2016 and no ankle tilt? Really? =P

20. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I find some of the bitching rather bizarre, to be honest. This is the first "G1" Classics/Generations Soundwave we've ever gotten, of course its going to be a boombox/cassette player/music device with a big chest that can hold cassettes. Could you imagine the backlash if it wasn't? I know this fanbase is generally unpleasable, but I feel like this is quite taking it to the next level. Its a Soundwave with Cassette minons that fits into the Classic aesthetic, plus it even has an extra mode (that you can ignore if need be) that is designed to specifically to work with the current line-wide gimmick. Not sure what on Earth people were expecting for a Classics Soundwave outside of what we're getting here. I do understand those that are upset about the size, but ultimately this is to accommodate the cassette gimmick; I suspect a Voyager Soundwave that still needed a chest big enough to fit Legends figures in alt mode wouldn't have looked fantastic.

The comparisons to Masterpiece Soundwave are strange too. Masterpiece Soundwave does not fit the aesthetic of the Generations line and looks stupid on a Classics shelf. The two figures are aimed at different collectors and designed for different collections. If you're on a budget then fair enough, but the sheer amount of people saying this figure is lazy because of the pre-existing Masterpiece doesn't make sense to me. If we ever get a Classics Grimlock will people be frothing at the mouth because we already have a T-Rex Grimlock in the Masterpiece line? Are you all seething at the new TR Hot Rod because they just released a new Masterpiece Hot Rod?

• Like Like x 1