New Still From The Bumblebee Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Niv3k, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    That's where you're wrong about me. I'm actually fine with the original trilogy.

AoE just took everything I liked about it and threw it into a woodchipper, then replaced it all with shit I didn't like. The Last Failure I didn't even bother seeing because I couldn't give less of a shit about how much humans have stood on the shoulders of Transformers, because that's still more about humans (which I see every goddamn day of my life) as opposed to alien transforming robots fighting a civil war on what is to them an alien world (which is pure fiction).

That's nice and all...still doesn't change the fact The Last Failure made less money overall than the 2007 film.
    Fine, I'll admit, I've tried to purge the three hours of garbage that was AoE out of my mind so one shot of that truck before changing it out for a crap looking truck (seriously, it doesn't look nearly as cool as the old Peterbuilt did), and I didn't bother seeing The Last Failure because it only doubled down on everything that makes AoE suck so bad in my opinion.

As mentioned, I forgot the one time Prime drove in AoE, because I've honestly done my best to forget I wasted three hours of my life watching it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    I'm still not convinced you have actually watched Age of Extinction.

3. AspiringCreator

AspiringCreator Well-Known Member

Just reading about this really gives me hope for this movie because as someone who really enjoyed the first film, proceeded to not care about the second, liked the third, loved the fourth and really did not like the fifth? It really sounds like we\'re going back to what made the first film work and that\'s the fact they\'re making it a smaller story filled with more love and heart. That was the biggest element that was missing I feel from the sequels up until AOE and was then missing again from TLK. Transformers after awhile became a machine with films that were basically the same story but told worse and worse as time went on. AOE aimed to basically soft reboot the franchise and in my opinion succeeded in that it addressed the criticisms about the lack of reaction to robot deaths and many more. It also gave us an interesting exploration of Prime not being the unbreakable hero but rather a more human character who can actually crack under pressure.

But people didn\'t respond to it and instead of proceeding to fix the problems that needed to be fixed? Paramount seemed to overreact and from the looks of things if I were to take into account Steve Jablonsky\'s comments on the soundtrack and more? They cut down the movie to the point where it basically didn\'t make sense in an attempt to appease those who wanted a shorter film and it showed. I know there are people out there who like it but I\'m sorry. TLK was just not a good film. This however has the potential and to me, I don\'t really think they need to pull a hard reset to fix this at least not yet because that\'s not only a bit too cynical for my tastes but it\'s the easy way out. It\'s extremely easy to say that we can just hit the reset button and only then we can care about it when really it\'s about having the right mindset going into it. Here? It seems that our director has the right mindset in that he\'s trying to make this a smaller, more personal story over something that\'s an extreme amount of flash with no substance. If you\'ve seen Kubo? You\'d know that this guy is incredibly skilled in dealing with those sort of themes and personally I think we should give this film a chance before saying they should hit the reset button. This is a new team tackling something in the same Transformers universe, I think they should have the chance to show what they can do before we panic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the VW Beetle!

...but it's absolutely wrong.

5. blaine71274

blaine71274 Recovering completist, recently fell off the wagon

I think they should do a Transformers movie where you see no Transformers, they only reference them, like Rogue One did about the Jedi. Never saw them. But that could be because at that point they were all basically dead.

6. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Well that means you can't show the Earth in such a Transformers film, because Earth is Unicron, hence Earth is a Transformer.

It can take place on Chaar or Saturn or Dagobah!

7. Deductor

Deductor Banned

... um... please elaborate. Wondering if you are racist against herbie too

8. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You kiddin' me? I love Herbie! I watched those movies a ton as a kid.

But this doesn't fit Movie Bumblebee's character, really. I know it's not easy to glean a lot from him, but he's hot-headed, excitable, flashy, young, a little arrogant and kinda smug. The Beetle just doesn't fit that. That's my biggest problem. Why is he a VW Bug?

"B-because he was a Beetle in G1!" Someone might say. Except A. This isn't G1, and B. It doesn't make sense from what we know of him. Maybe it was all he could find or something at first, but then, why is he still an old bug throughout the rest of the movie (I presume)? The only reason they're doing this is to appeal to G1 fans for some unfathomable reason. This makes little sense to me because: A. Most G1 fans don't like the movies, and have already given up on them and B. Those that do like them probably accept Bumblebee as a Camaro. The Beetle just feels so...forced.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    That's wrong terminology. John Cena said reboot and he was wrong. If it's in the same universe as the previous films, it's not a reboot. Reboot means starting completely over in a new universe.
    This is a refresh, new take, new direction using a side story. Some marketing uses the word reboot because it's flashier for attention. That doesn't mean it's accurate.

It's like saying Rogue One is a reboot of star wars. It's not, it's a missing chapter that fills in story. This movie in particular explains how we go from TLK's WWII Bumblebee to the first movie's bumblebee. From battle hardened weary veteran scout autobot, probably about to give up hope on this mudball and ever finding the allspark to optimistic supportive hero and friend.

This movie may explain that. Keep in mind where Bumblebee is coming from, not from where we know him now. Plus, isn't that the whole point of his vehicle mode? To be in disguise?

That's how the G1 one worked. He was brash, excitable, and loyal etc too. The VW vehicle mode was the parallel to that to offset those aspects to make him appear more youthful/naive and innocent while with those aspects. And as you brought up about Herbie, a VW beetle can be brash, hotheaded and reckless. Herbie certainly was.

Also keep in mind that VW probably finally signed off on the usage because it was explained to them that Autobots were the worker class on cybertron. The everyday people of the planet that were forced into fighting back against the warbots/decepticons that tried to seize control of the planet through military might. Though then things get a little more confusing from aligned and movie-verse where it became two factions from ideals differences in how to change the caste system. Optimus wanting to do that through diplomacy and megatron wanting to do that through taking it by force.

So Bumblebee is a veteran of that war because he was forced into it to fight for freedom from "might makes right" type oppression.

When you break it down in themes. The autobots are fighting against 'might makes right' type fascism. Megatron's pursuit of raising the lives of his planet up took a turn to pushing their perfection onto the universe to take all that they needed and eradicate anything not as perfect as them. In the symbolism, Decepticons are essentially space Nazis, while Autobots are fighting to stop them. Which is what makes WWII Bumblebee so poignant as he probably sees echoes of his own planet's war happening here on earth, which has got to be even more disheartening to see what that finally took to end it, and in many ways how it still hasn't ended.

VW was very against their cars being used as "war robots." So I expect this usage of it is to especially symbolize Bumblebee as someone who wants away from the war with the decepticons. Someone that's tired of the fighting. Someone that wants peace, but is also growing jaded with both the autobot v decepticon war and after witnessing what humans can do to each other. That edge of loss of hope. With all that in mind, the VW vehicle mode really makes sense.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know you have to finally pander to original G1 fans after TLK is easily the lowest grossing

11. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm still not excited about it.

12. Septimus-Prime

Septimus-Prime Well-Known Member

Will they show more robots or humans? That\'s the question.

13. NemesisPrime12

News Credits:
    So far they only have 4 transformers and (possibly the voice of) Optimus

14. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    For many it was weird for him to be a Camaro in the first place. And weird that he couldn't talk.

So you're thinking the Sector 7 agent is a broken soul in love with a teenage girl?

So true. This feels like too little, too late.

Agreed!! :) 

As much as I'd still love to see the original Bumblebee that I grew up with realized in a live action movie, I have to agree with you on this. If this is a prequel then it's the same Bumblebee we've seen in the other movies - and that Bumblebee isn't the same one who had a VW alt mode. I'm a G1 fan and have been since the first day that the "More Than Meets The Eye" miniseries aired on TV. I enjoyed the 2007 movie for what it was, and then steadily lost interest with each successive film. At this point, it would take much more to renew my interest than simply giving Bumblebee a VW alt mode.

Like I said earlier, this is too little too late for me.

15. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    It doesn't have to be a typical love story.
    I'm just saying they do love their "broken" "girl's next door".
    There's gonna be a lot of cheap tears and drama in this I'm afraid.
    I'm not saying every TF movie should be an action Flick.
    But this is gonna be a cliché fest and it's gonna be the most human centric TF movie we got so far.

16. Septimus-Prime

Septimus-Prime Well-Known Member

I understand, it should focus on them still. ;) 

17. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This sounds awful.

What really killed it was the Spielbergian part.

Ugh

So this is going to be another family movie, "featuring" the transformers, then.

Also The Girl Who Loved Powerglide is one of my favourites

"Subject's mind, completely empty"

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. NemesisPrime12

News Credits:
    Hailee said that this movie would be "characters and story driven". But she never said which characters (humans or robots), I hope this movie would balance the proportion of the characters interaction. Since we only got 4 transformers, I hope this movie will have better dynamic between the transformers

19. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    You know what else did that?

Iron Giant.

This sounds like they're at least *trying* to step back from the world-ending destruction of the other films and tell the "girl and her car" story the original Bayfilm was supposed to be.

20. NemesisPrime12

News Credits:
    They said they are inspired by Iron Giant tho