New standards for movie car chases

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by mblase, Mar 18, 2008.

1. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong: I loved watching Bumblebee and Barricade chasing each other around town in the movie, and it was all the better for using real cars.

However, I just watched the newest trailers for "Wanted" (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/wanted/trailer4/) and "Speed Racer" (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/speedracer/trailer2/) and I think "TF2" is going to have its work cut out for it where the car chases are concerned.

I mean, if Angelina Jolie can flip a Dodge Viper sideways over a pair of cop cars, and Emile Hirsch can jump one off a mountainside and land right-side up... well, there's no reason an intelligent car that can drive itself shouldn't be able to do the same thing, right?

2. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout In Existential Crisis Mode

News Credits:
    Agreed. I was actually quite surprised by how short the car chases were in TF1.

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Dont forget they were able to transform while in the chase scenes; that was pretty cool. Id definitely like to see more car chase/transform scene action.

4. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    As cool as they were, nothing beats a car ripping down the road, transforming and clashing (ala prime versus bonecrusher).

5. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    One of the biggest let downs (in terms of action) in TF1 was the total lack of a decent "Transformers" car chase. Sure we had Bumblebee / Barricade chasing after each other, but that was all pretty standard and in car mode (yeah, Barricade transformed at the start and at the end, but that was it). Bonecrusher vs Optimus was sweet, but not really a chase. I felt that they completely missed the perfect opportunity to do something awesome. A full on transforming car chase - image an Autobot weaving in and out of traffic, transforming to jump over a truck or a bridge or swing around a light pole etc and then straight back into car mode. Rinse, wash, repeat etc.

6. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love the idea llama, but transformations were the most complicated and time consuming part of the cgi. If you watch the first movie there is some very obvious cheats used to save money. The only way you would see that many transformations is if you had stock transformations like beastwars which people would kill them for.

However, since were all just day dreaming I would love to see a great copter or jet vs. car chase which would end with the car driving of a building transforming and meeting the jet head on in the air. Kinda like the motorcycle chase in ultraviolet

7. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    When I first heard of a "live action TF movie" my first thought was of Starscream vs Jazz in a city. Flying low between buildings and shattering glass etc.

8. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

WOW! That Speed Racer trailer was actually pretty cool. It looks like it's exactly like the anime series except live action.
    I'm surprisingly impressed.

9. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Was disappointed Barricade didn't use those claw thingies in his headlights.

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Barricade also had some hood mounted rocket launchers which were made for the movie, but evidently cut from the film. They did show up as optional parts for that XMods Barricade radio control car, though.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    ^^^ that reminds me, I was pissed that Bumblebee's rockets only appeared briefly when he was firing at Brawl.

12. Timmy 76

Timmy 76 Well-Known Member

dude, so did i! i had this image of Starsceam chasing Jazz, Jazz pulls away transforms then jumps at full speed fires his grappling hook around a lamp post, or something similar, swings around it and twats the on coming Starscream. as you can probaly guess i was very dissapointed when this chase didnt emerge! but when you see what a car chase could be, like in the matrix reloaded, it was a bit of a let down with the countless possiblities there are.

13. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess this all has to do with the limited $150 million budget for TF1: so Bay focused more on the wonder of transformations and robots doing martial arts moves on each other. TF2 is going to have a bigger budget (Orci confirmed this on Don Murphy's site), so I think he can really let rip with chases with characters transforming back and forth.

14. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Hopefully more budget means a step up for something like that. I thought for the first time out though, the chases were enjoyable. And I would like to see someone do a car transforming into a robot better than Transformers. :p 

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Yeah its a shame thats all 150 million can get you. That or 5 gallons of gas....

16. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    We'll definately get more chase sequences in TF2, Bay knows how to do it.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm really hoping the chase scenes are improved for the sequel. I've been sick for a week and done nothing but watch movies...and thought it was pretty sad how even the First Terminator movie, made in 1984 no less, had better car chase scenes then Transformers.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly what I imagined when I heard Michael Bay was doing this movie. And it didn't happen. We'll see if they can pull that off in 2

19. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem here is that the two example you gave are both CGI heavy. Bay usually does his car chases the old fashioned way. (i.e "The Island""Bad Boys")
    It's really not apples to apples.
    But I would really like to see some of the other ideas floated in this thread.

20. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    yeah i was unimpressed by the lack of cool car chases in TF1

Thats what Bay's famous for.and the car chases all got cut really short

that sucks

hopefully its stepped up in the sequel! cuz bay can do some cool stuff!